PDA

View Full Version : Mucking set on flop

Chr
04-07-2003, 03:17 PM
Paradise NLHE max 100 table
I have $160 and those involved have around $100

I get 77 on the button and call $1 after 4 limpers, SB call and BB check.

Flop: 9h 7d 8c
Pot: $7

SB bet 3,5, BB fold, UTG call and a tight player raise to $15, folded to me.

I muck my set.

What do you think?

All comments appreciated
Chr

Guy McSucker
04-07-2003, 04:44 PM
Why are you mucking? Do you put him on the straight, or on a bigger set, or on a possibility of either, or what?

If you think he's got a straight, sure you're behind, but would you muck the nut flush draw in these circumstances? You can look at your set as a drawing hand - drawing to a house. I think the house is more likely to get paid off by a straight than a flush would be, so if you would consider playing the flush draw, you should consider playing the set.

On the other hand it might be set over set, and then you're toast. But would he make this raise with a set, when there could be a straight out there?

With top set I would certainly play. With bottom set there's the potentially expensive overset, which could swing it to a fold.

Like I know anything about poker anyway.

Guy.

JMarks
04-07-2003, 10:18 PM
Ive played in quite a few of these games and I call every time. No one in those games can lay down top pair let alone a straight if you make your full house you will get payed 85$ more at least. The only reason to fold is if you suspect set over set, and you assume somone always has a better hand.

adam74
04-08-2003, 04:42 AM
Bugger! Just typed a long response to this, but then I lost my connection as I went to post it and now I've lost the whole thing. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

I've got neither the time nor the inclination to type it all back out again, so I'll just repeat the gist...

I'd reraise - not the full pot, maybe just another $15.

If I have a chance later on I'll post my reasoning.

Chr
04-11-2003, 06:55 AM
Thanks for your answers.

I mucked because it was a tight player I know well. Minimum would be the low straight or worse a set which makes me drawing dead... almost.

The other thing I didnt like was the two limpers. I put the first on toppair and the other on a straight draw.But no matter what, I wouldnt be able to control the pot because i was in between.

I was sure I was on a draw, but not sure if I would win if I filled up. Since my EV was pretty low, still positive though, with only straight at the raiser, i folded because I think it would be eaten by the loss in those cases where the raiser has a set.

And then there was one isue more. The raiser would be able to lay down the low straight if he sensed trouble. I know him very well. So I was not sure to be paied off when I hit.

The hand continued by a call from second limper. And he lost his stack (around $50) to the low straight in the originally raisers hand. Board didnt pair. The loser had a T for a higher straightdraw.