PDA

View Full Version : Horrible play on my part?

08-24-2005, 08:32 AM
I find myself unable to play mid-pocket pairs correctly. What are my biggest flaws in this hand (aside from the overall picture)? MP2 in this hand is a "Good Player," fairly TAG.

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (8.40 SB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

I raised here to try and help myself determine whether he was playing something like AK/AQ or if he actually had TT-AA. The 3-bet makes me think the latter was true (I'm not sure why I called it then).

Turn: (7.20 BB) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 8.20 BB

Thanks for the help.

- thing85 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

jrz1972
08-24-2005, 08:44 AM
PF: Either reraise or fold. You're not going to get enough callers to justify playing just for a set, so coldcalling is the worst option.

Flop: Fine. I'd go ahead and call the reraise for meta-game considerations and also because you have some backdoor straight potential.

Turn: If villain bets the turn and river, you're being offered 4.6:1 on a showdown. Is villain overplaying AK enough to make that profitable? I doubt it. Calling down wouldn't be the worst play in the world, and if I knew villain were LAG I would definitely call down, but given your thin read, folding is fine.

Fantam
08-24-2005, 08:56 AM
99 is a good hand to open raise with from MP, but its different when someone raises in front of you.

You should either be re-raising to try to get the hand heads up or else folding. If you consider that the opening raiser has loose raising standards then you should re-raise. However if you think he raises with solid hands you are probably best folding.

I dont think that your post flop play was that bad. Your flop raise was reasonable in case MP2 had overcards. Also while you may not have had correct pot odds to call MP2's 3-bet, it was reasonable to make a somewhat loose call to see if you made a set on the turn.

Folding the turn unimproved made sense.

car ramrod
08-24-2005, 09:43 AM
I would have 3 bet this pf, try to get it heads up. 99 is a good hand hu, plus if he caps we can limit his range some. The hand plays different after that.