PDA

View Full Version : How to reflect on getting knocked out on first hand of a tournament?

08-24-2005, 06:12 AM
I'm on vacation this week so I'm playing a few live tournaments to kill the time. Monday night got to 8th out of 46 players and got knocked out on a bad beat, only top 5 were paid.

Today got knocked out during the first hand of the tournament. It was a bad beat again and it was so shocking to me (not because of the suckout, but because we just started and the very last hand I played was the bad beat from the night before).

Anyways, what is a way to try to put a positive light on this situation? I'm glad I was dumbfounded because I felt like saying something very mean to the individual who beat me. Is there anything positive to take away from this or should I just let time make me (hopefully) forget?

In case you're intersted in the hand in question: the player in 3rd position (out of 10) limped in, I was in 4th position and raised 4 times the BB with QQ. Everyone folded back to the player to my right who called. Flop came Q62 with 2 diamonds, the opponent checked to me and I bet 4 times the BB again after thinking for a moment. Opponent then went all in and I called. He turned over 10,7 of diamonds and rivered his flush to knock me out of the tournament on the first hand. It was a 2 table tournament which was projected to last about 1.5 hours which might explain his bet, but he had to know he was far behind already.

Exitonly
08-24-2005, 06:19 AM
If i had to choose between getting bad beat on the bubble, or bad beat on the first hand of the tournament.. i'm picking first hand everytime. While it may not be fun to go out right away.. it's more fun than playing for a couple of hours with nothing to show for it.

Also now you have time to hit up the cash games while the people you came with are finishing playing.

Benholio
08-24-2005, 07:07 AM
1) Losing a 77% favorite hand isn't really a bad beat.
2) Dead-money players getting all-in on the flop with a flush draw is very common. Don't waste time trying to imagine how they rationalize doing this. Lot of people think a flush draw is 50/50 to hit or miss, no joke.
3) Like the other poster said, better to go out 1st than play for 2 hours and not make the money anyway.

Just say 'nice hand' and walk away. If people didn't play like this, the games wouldn't be so good.

ZimbuTheMonkey
08-24-2005, 07:33 AM
"2) Dead-money players getting all-in on the flop with a flush draw is very common. Don't waste time trying to imagine how they rationalize doing this. Lot of people think a flush draw is 50/50 to hit or miss, no joke."

That REALLY is no joke. In my regular game, that's what many of my friends think. I had to enlighten them, but that little good as far as improving their play. We play small stakes, mostly for fun. They still will be unwilling to fold a flush draw though. If someone re-raises me all-in with a two-suited flush, it's easy to put them on a hand.

betgo
08-24-2005, 08:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Dead-money players getting all-in on the flop with a flush draw is very common. Don't waste time trying to imagine how they rationalize doing this. Lot of people think a flush draw is 50/50 to hit or miss, no joke

[/ QUOTE ]

It often is 50-50, or atleast 60-40. Here it was 74-26. If you had AQ for TPTK instead of QQ for top set, it would be 62-38. A flush draw with over cards, a pair, or a gutshot is usually about 50-50 versus top pair. Therefore, it is often correct to push on a semibluff with a flush draw.

Here, villain's play of limping with T7s and then calling a raise HU OOP was bad and typical loose passive fishy.

When you bet 40% of pot, villain interpreted it as you had missed the flop, which is likely, as the only raising hands that would hit are AA-QQ and AQ-KQ. He pushed on a semibluff. I suspect that this was too much of an overbet so that villain was not getting proper pot odds and folding equity. However, hero has not supplied the numbers. Villain would probably have been better off calling the small bet and trying to make a flush.

It seemed like every play villain made was a little bit loose and not correct. However, none of the plays in themselves lose that much on average. All of hero's plays were pretty much standard and correct. There is a lot of luck in poker, so bad plays are often successful. You are only going to make money against people you play better than, and they play because they often win.

benkahuna
08-24-2005, 10:54 AM
NH

mjm
08-24-2005, 10:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't waste time trying to imagine how they rationalize doing this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Although i'm not a fan of playing the flush draw this way it isn't that difficult to rationalise. It's the first hand of a live tournament (ie. you've made the effort to go there and play rather than just flicked a switch on the computer)what hands are going to call the all-in. Probably only trips, so you are massive favourite to pick up the pot there and then. Even if they have trips you still have outs. The OP was unfortunate that he had the trips and then got sucked out.

Playing the flush draw this way you are not going all-in because you think your draw is 50/50 to hit, but because you are picking up the pot right there a massive amount of the time.

Bco1/75
08-24-2005, 11:35 AM
I don't agree with this. I'd rather take the bad beat when I have a chip stack against the villian.

Now to make you feel bad again.....Why such a small bet relative to the pot with suck a scarry board? If he just calls he is getting close to pot odds...Then add fold equity from his all in bet and his overall EV is positive. Personally, I think you took the bad beat when he called not when he hit his flush.

08-24-2005, 12:15 PM
FWIW, the reason I made the relatively small bet on the flop (42% of the pot) was only to get a call. Since I was only up against 1 opponent I thought it unlikely that he was 1.) on a flush draw and 2.) on a diamond flush draw in particular. With a Q being the only face card, I thought the 4 times BB bet would induce a call here. On the turn I would then apply the pressure.

I'm sure now that the combination of my less than pot sized bet on the flop and the opponent's miscalculation of his odds of winning lead to his all in bet.

gobboboy
08-24-2005, 12:44 PM
I agree with the smaller bet. Gaining a small lead early in a tournament is important, and maybe enticing him to go all in every time is a good ploy. If the board was a bit more scary but still included a Q (scary as in 'action board.' Hard to be afraid with set of Q's on a board of AKQ), then maybe I would've even checked behind and saw if he bet before making a small bet, enticing him to push to try to get you out. But in the current situation with the flush draw, I think you did about as best as you could.

You got your money in with the best hand, as per normal prerequisities, and you got sucked out on. Join the club. We have t-shirts.

Bco1/75
08-24-2005, 06:58 PM
Getting all of your money in on the flop with a flush draw is like 32% if you are calling, but if you bet into players with a flush draw you have to consider the fold equity available. Probally close to 1.5:1 if you are making the all in bet but not calling an all in bet.

betgo
08-25-2005, 01:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Getting all of your money in on the flop with a flush draw is like 32% if you are calling, but if you bet into players with a flush draw you have to consider the fold equity available. Probally close to 1.5:1 if you are making the all in bet but not calling an all in bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is that the OP has not supplied the stack sizes. I like pushing with a flush draw on a semibluff in general. However, it may be too much of an overbet the first hand of a tournament.

Plus this is not a very strong draw, so you are only 38% against top pair and worse against a bigger hand.

08-25-2005, 02:12 AM
Starting chips were T1000 with blinds at 25/50, 15 minute levels.

betgo
08-25-2005, 02:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Starting chips were T1000 with blinds at 25/50, 15 minute levels.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then there is 500 in the pot aand villain has 800. The push looks fine. He had no way of knowing you had a set.

Villain's preflop limp and call are even more atrocious given shallow money.

TheBlueMonster
08-25-2005, 02:40 AM
people are merciless here and they don't like bad beat stories