PDA

View Full Version : Looking for abinsthe.

08-24-2005, 06:00 AM
Anyone know a site where I can obtain some abinsthe?

RubberDucky
08-24-2005, 06:02 AM
http://www.absinth.com/

DarkForceRising
08-24-2005, 09:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
http://www.absinth.com/

[/ QUOTE ]

What are the consequences of drinking this stuff? Will you be ok if you don't over do it? What is the buzz like?

And what's the story on the Cannibis Vodka?

xadrez
08-24-2005, 09:10 AM
Generally, the absinthe available on the market is made without using wormwood, which is what supplies the chemical which induces the hallucinogenic effects (Thujone). So, its not really absinthe. It does however, have a very high alcohol content.

I know its possible to buy "real" absinthe in parts of Eastern Europe, but have no idea if its available via the internet.

canis582
08-24-2005, 09:12 AM
make it

RunDownHouse
08-24-2005, 09:19 AM
It is available on the internet, and with a little bit of digging around you can find sites that will also list the thujone content of the various brands. As for effects, its not really much different than any other 140 proof liquor. By the time you've had enough to feel any hallucinogenic effects, you're shitcanned anyways.

I went to Prague 4 times when I lived over there. Awesome city.

colgin
08-24-2005, 09:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I know its possible to buy "real" absinthe in parts of Eastern Europe, but have no idea if its available via the internet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I brought some home from the Czech Republic about a decade ago. [censored] fucks you up man. I still have a little left. Don't know if it's still any good. Maybe I should check. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

PorscheNGuns
08-24-2005, 09:28 AM
Huh?

Any absinthe you're going to find on the internet has thujone in it. Around the turn of the century there was a Europe-wide limit on how much thujone you could put in. Any "real" absinthe with pre-1900ish level thujone is either going to literally be 100 years old and cost you a boatload of money, or is going to be some serious black market [censored].

But to the OP, absinthe has such a high alcohol content, that you'll be getting passed-out drunk long before you will halucinate.

-Matt

gulebjorn
08-24-2005, 09:31 AM
I thought it was legal in Spain?

gulebjorn
08-24-2005, 09:37 AM
from www.absinth.com (http://www.absinth.com):

Is Logan Fils made from wine and distilled from real herbs particularly wormwood ?
Logan Fils is the only absinthe made from WINE on the market today and probably the strongest as far as the portion of wormwood and other essences is concerned. And real herbs are used to obtain the desired colour. Unlike most commercial brands, no artificial essences or colorants are used.

Can Logan Fils be commercially sold ?
Absinthe is sold in most European countries provided it meets the 10mg of thujone per litre legal limit. Since the essences of wormwood in Logan Fils are in the same proportions as in genuine absinthes from the 19th century, it exceeds this limit by far and therefore can NOT be sold commercially in those countries.

But some Absinthes sold today are very bitter and alcoholic.
Are they stronger than Logan Fils ?
No, they are´t. They contain less than 10mg of thujone a litre, which can be achieved by soaking the herbs in alcohol.And this is why some absinthes are very bitter and in most Absinthes made today, a wormwood plant was replaced with a wormwood oil to reduce bitterness.

Why are there Absinthes today sold for around $60 or so per litre while Logan Fils costs so much ?
The majority of the stuff sold for around $60 is NOT distilled, contains only around 10mg of thujone, is made from grain alcohol with its unhealthy side-effects, is, in most cases, artificially colored, and wormwood oil is added at the end. Slightly more expensive versions for around $100 are likely to be distilled, but again grain alcohol is used instead of spirits distilled from wine, and if commercially sold, contain around 10mg of thujone as well.

Is Logan Fils made from wine ? And is it distilled from real herbs, particularly wormwood ?
Logan Fils is the only absinthe on the market today made from WINE, and probably the strongest as far as the proportions of wormwood and other essences are concerned. What's more, real herbs are used to obtain the desired colour. Unlike most commercial brands, no artificial essences or colorants are used.

It sounds great ! So will it make me hallucinate ?
Not after one shot!
Remember, all those poets were not just occasional drinkers ! Vincent Van Gogh drank enormous amounts of Absinthe, and as a result his paintings were characterized by intense yellow hues and halo effects, such as in his still life of an Absinthe glass and water decanter painted in 1886.

So how will I feel after drinking Logan Fils Absinthe made the old way?
Logan Fils absinthe made the old way has all the essences in the same proportions as in old original absinthe, including particularly Grand Wormwood, Genepl, Petite Wormwood, Anise, Fennel and others. These essences together with wine spirit have quite a significant effect on the body, in that you can drink much more of the stuff than other strong spirits and it does not make you feel drunk but ...
As Oscar Wilde once described :
"The first stage is like ordinary drinking, the second when you begin to see monstrous and cruel things, but if you can persevere you will enter in upon the third stage where you see things that you want to see, wonderful curious things."
And this is what probably made famous artists what they were.

Brad22
08-24-2005, 09:37 AM
They serve it in Barcelona.

BusterStacks
08-24-2005, 09:38 AM
Worst. Hangover. Ever.

xadrez
08-24-2005, 09:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Huh?

Any absinthe you're going to find on the internet has thujone in it. Around the turn of the century there was a Europe-wide limit on how much thujone you could put in. Any "real" absinthe with pre-1900ish level thujone is either going to literally be 100 years old and cost you a boatload of money, or is going to be some serious black market [censored]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe Im confused, but anytime I have seen a bottle of Absinthe in the US, it was made without wormwood.

[ QUOTE ]
Price
Absinthe containing thujone is difficult to find for sale inside the United States, but is available from suppliers in other countries, many of whom are willing to ship into the U.S. Prices depend on the brand and the thujone content, and can range from $10 a bottle to over $200 per bottle.

Law
Absinthe containing thujone is illegal to sell for human consumption in the United States. Some brands of absinthe are sold in the U.S. which contain no thujone and other absinthes are imported into the U.S. despite FDA regulations. It is not illegal to possess Absinthe, even if it contains thujone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Link (http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/absinthe/absinthe_basics.shtml)

turnipmonster
08-24-2005, 10:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Worst. Hangover. Ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

RunDownHouse
08-24-2005, 10:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Huh?

Any absinthe you're going to find on the internet has thujone in it. Around the turn of the century there was a Europe-wide limit on how much thujone you could put in. Any "real" absinthe with pre-1900ish level thujone is either going to literally be 100 years old and cost you a boatload of money, or is going to be some serious black market [censored]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe Im confused, but anytime I have seen a bottle of Absinthe in the US, it was made without wormwood.

[/ QUOTE ]
Which is why no internet seller would sell absinthe from the US.

AsiaKurosawa
08-24-2005, 10:47 AM
You can import thujone-containing absinthe to the US (illegally) --

Best website for reviews, info: Fee Verte (http://www.feeverte.net/) (start here to decide what you want-- several different choices and vendors, incl. info on who ships to US)

Best (cheapest) site for importing: Spirits Corner (http://www.spiritscorner.com/ing/index.html). Shipping's a killer, but they don't have ridiculously marked up pricing like other vendors.

(The info above is true from several years ago, I haven't had any experience researching or acquiring anything for a long while now so, grain of salt y all...)

For the great fun of it, you may want to look into purchasing a set of inexpensive spoons and glasses for sugaring-louche effect. I can't find where I bought mine-- but you can check ebay or the la fee site for info on them (don't go all out buying the vintage stuff unless you're really into it, spend the $ on the bottles instead.)

PorscheNGuns
08-24-2005, 11:02 AM
Sorry it was me who was confused, I thought we were talking about importing a bottle of absinthe from Europe, which I have done and is easy as hell.

-Matt

PorscheNGuns
08-24-2005, 11:03 AM
by the way, did anyone else notice the repeated shameless plugs for absinthe in the movie Van Helsing?

-Matt

spamuell
08-24-2005, 11:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Worst. Hangover. Ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously. It's not to be taken lightly.

colgin
08-24-2005, 12:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Worst. Hangover. Ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously. It's not to be taken lightly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I concur.

manpower
08-24-2005, 04:05 PM
If you're only interested in getting the effects, you can soak wormwood (can be cheaply and legally obtained) in everclear or some other very-high-proof liquor for a few weeks. It'll have more thujone than probably any absinthe you'd be able to buy all for about $15/L. Try erowid.org for recipes.

Its going to taste like absolute hell though.

RunDownHouse
08-24-2005, 04:15 PM
I would highly recommend against trying to make your own absinthe. Its a highly toxic liquid, and [censored] it up will result in [censored] you up pretty badly.

benfranklin
08-24-2005, 04:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

What are the consequences of drinking this stuff?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is an aphrodisiac /images/graemlins/blush.gif
(Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.)