PDA

View Full Version : I wish I had busted in that tourney

kyro
08-24-2005, 06:00 AM
You know, the one that I turned $10 into $700. The one that gave me a solid bankroll. The one that I've turned into several thousand.

The one that keeps me up all night playing a game I really don't understand. The one that allows me to suffer mild depression when I'm running bad because I haven't got a clue if I'm a winning player or not. The one that causes me to break things when a guy hits his 3-outer.

Blah, I'd write more, but I'm holding AA and I need to try and make money off of it. Because that's what it has become, right?

mackthefork
08-24-2005, 06:09 AM
I feel your pain. I'm not on a downswing or anything, I just can't play, I sit down to play, then I think ugh I really don't want this.

This game can suck at times, take it easy and don't worry about it, not worth the hassle.

Regards Mack

Al Schoonmaker
08-24-2005, 07:45 AM
If you really dislike playing poker, there is only one intelligent thing to do: QUIT!

Life is too short and precious to spend your time doing something that arouses such negative feelings.

Regards,

Al

kyro
08-24-2005, 07:53 AM
I only dislike it when I'm losing. It's an addiction, I know it is.

Jeffage
08-24-2005, 08:21 AM
Losing is part of poker...it comes with the territory and will happen often, even if you're good enough to be a money winner at the end of the year. If losing (and big on occasion) will bother you, you need to find another hobby. I dropped a bunch last night, but I'm here at work and feel ok...it's all one long game and the only number that matters is how much you win over your life.

Jeff

revots33
08-24-2005, 09:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I only dislike it when I'm losing.

[/ QUOTE ]
Quoting Ed Miller's article (http://www.twoplustwo.com/magazine/current/miller0805.html) in this month's magazine:

[ QUOTE ]
Gambling is what makes poker fun. Winning and losing is what makes poker fun. Losing is part of what makes poker fun. Losing is part of what makes poker fun.

Some pros embrace that concept and some don't. In my experience, the most successful pros tend to embrace it. The guys just making ends meet are the ones who still grumble about losing pots and sessions. The guys making $200,000 a year or more don't say a word about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

nate1729
08-24-2005, 10:11 AM
Can I suggest that you take two weeks or so off? Set a specific date and vow that you'll give $500 or whatever to some worthy charity if you play a hand of poker before then.

It might help you quit. It might help your outlook on the game if you don't.

--Nate

08-24-2005, 11:07 AM
keep ur head up soldier

08-24-2005, 05:26 PM
I like nate's suggestion. I took all my money off my online account for a semester so I wouldn't waste any time playing poker all day and then I came back to the game this summer. I actually started playing a lot better having had some time off and a chance to read some more poker books. Psychologically, time off can help you catch your breath and start anew when you play again, and it can give you a chance to tune up your game. Think of it as a rehab stint in the minor leagues.

maybedinero
08-26-2005, 07:37 AM
Or why not move down in limits so you're not risking so much of your bankroll in each session?

nate1729
08-27-2005, 11:08 AM
Because he's caught in about a dozen different very dangerous and very destructive psychological cycles, and lowering limits won't be a move toward breaking them.