PDA

View Full Version : Stack % and ITM %

deepdowntruth
08-24-2005, 03:56 AM
I understand the idea that the fraction of total chips that my stack represents is equivalent to my chances of winning the tournament outright (e.g. 25% of the chips means 25% chance of winning, ceteris paribis).

How, though, can I relate my stack size % to my chances of finishing in any particular cash place? Assume a typical 10 person SNG with a 50-30-20 payout.

I'm sorry if this has been asked 100 times but I couldn't find it via the search function. I'm also sorry if this is too obvious an answer to ask, but I was a philosophy major, not a math major. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

08-24-2005, 04:04 AM
It's not that easy and depends on the other stacks. Also, all models are imperfect etc. I think the best way is to calculate the odds that another player comes in first, then calculate the odds that you come in first in the tournament if they weren't there, repeat for each player, and take the sum. That sucks though.

You're probably better off just using the ICM calculator, which gives you EV instead of %s by places--that's probably better for you. It's linked to in the fact.