PDA

View Full Version : My hand went to [censored] and all I got was this stupid t-shirt

JrJordan
08-24-2005, 03:08 AM
Reads: UTG is particularly loose-passive, so his cap here makes me believe a premium pocket pair or AK. Obviously AK I'm screwed by I'm hoping a TT-QQ could follow up bet. MP is even more passive and a bit of the calling station type. He could hit this turn Q for a pair and call down irregardless of our action.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG caps</font>, MP calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (12.50 SB) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.75 BB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP calls, Hero...

Me says fold but me no sure.

dave44
08-24-2005, 11:41 AM
This looks like a fold to me. You're splitting with any aces and UTG certainly doesn't look like JJ or TT at this point.

08-24-2005, 12:01 PM
I really feel stupid responding to this, being that I am new here, and I only play 0.50/1.00 or 1.00/2.00. So if anyone wants to comment on how I would play it, please feel free.

I think that the cap means it could be a range of hands from AA to TT, possibly even AKs - AJs, or AKo to AQo. But I am sure that at this level players are more tricky then I am used to so it could be a much wider range of hands.

I think that I am leading out on the flop, and then 3-betting if it is raised back at me, then if it is capped I would call, but slow down after that, and potentially fold the turn, depending on the card.

On the turn, you got a great card, and I am again leading out, then 3 betting if raised back at me, but if capped I call down from there. The only hands you are behind at this point is AA, AKs, AKo, KK, QQ, JTs, or JTo- Considering there are only 2 Kings 2 Aces and 2 queens unaccounted for, these seem pretty unlikely. No flush draw, but a straight draw on the board.

Just my thoughts. But I am not folding this at this point, but then again, you play a lot higher then I do, which means you are likely a better player.

Curious to see responses.

Margon

mscags
08-24-2005, 12:06 PM
Probably a good time for a fold, but probably not one that I can make. There isn't a whole lot that you are ahead of that he would cap with. TT, JJ? Would he lead the turn into 2 opponents with either of these? Everything else has you killed.

jba
08-24-2005, 12:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

On the turn, you got a great card

[/ QUOTE ]

the Q is the absolute worst possible card to see on the turn.

[ QUOTE ]
The only hands you are behind at this point is AA, AKs, AKo, KK, QQ, JTs, or JTo-

[/ QUOTE ]

unfortunately for us, this is probably villains entire hand range at this point. JT is very unlikely given his preflop cap and flop bet. AQ, AJ are slight possibilities but we split with them.

jba
08-24-2005, 12:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
TT, JJ? Would he lead the turn into 2 opponents with either of these? Everything else has you killed.

[/ QUOTE ]

even if we would, which is unlikely, we are still splitting the pot with MP. I can't understand him hanging around with a hand that we beat at this point.

08-24-2005, 12:17 PM
Just to clarify my understanding, the reason that QQ is the worst card on the turn is that we are assuming that he has AA, KK, AKs, AKo, QQ, or JJ. And since we are already behind everything but JJ and QQ on the flop, the turn card makes it so that we are only ahead of JJ? So basically we have a 1 in 6 chance of winning this hand.

Just want to make sure I am getting this. Anticipating other peoples hands is something that I am trying to work on, but is hard at 0.50 / 1.00 as people will play anything!

Cheers!

Margon

P.S. thanks for the comments, I need to learn.

JrJordan
08-24-2005, 12:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just to clarify my understanding, the reason that QQ is the worst card on the turn is that we are assuming that he has AA, KK, AKs, AKo, QQ, or JJ. And since we are already behind everything but JJ and QQ on the flop, the turn card makes it so that we are only ahead of JJ? So basically we have a 1 in 6 chance of winning this hand.

Just want to make sure I am getting this. Anticipating other peoples hands is something that I am trying to work on, but is hard at 0.50 / 1.00 as people will play anything!

Cheers!

Margon

P.S. thanks for the comments, I need to learn.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason why the Q is an awful card is because prior to this I had top pair top kicker. Anyone else with just an A would be losing to be. However when the Q hits, I am now chopping with any other sole A out there (the board would read AAKKQ for anyone with an A and the kickers will not play). This however, isn't a huge deal from before since the likelihood the preflop raiser has a lower A (AJ or less) is minimal. What it does do in addition though, is take away one of the very few hands the PFR could have that I beat before, QQ. Now, AK, AA, KK, and QQ all beat me. And an overaggro AQ chops with me. I'm still ahead of JJ and TT at this point, however the chances that he continues to fire away into this 3-way hand on the turn/riv with one of those is also minimal.

I think check/calling the flop is the best line here. I'm either WA or WB big time and there's no reason to throw in extra bets that allows a lower PP to get away or a better hand to 3-bet. Fairly standard on this part.

RunDownHouse
08-24-2005, 12:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
On the turn, you got a great card

[/ QUOTE ]
The Q doesn't improve hero's hand at all, may have improved UTG, and quite possibly took half the pot away from hero.