PDA

View Full Version : Best Album of the 70s

istewart
08-24-2005, 02:40 AM
Nominations if you will. I'm thinking about doing this.

Macdaddy Warsaw
08-24-2005, 02:42 AM
Big Star's #1 Record

malokoman
08-24-2005, 02:42 AM
dark side of the moon

Eurotrash
08-24-2005, 02:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
dark side of the moon

[/ QUOTE ]

excellent album. It's nice to see real music being discussed in OOT

Soul Daddy
08-24-2005, 02:47 AM
IV
Let it Be

istewart
08-24-2005, 02:50 AM
Exile on Main Street
Houses of the Holy

redrooski24
08-24-2005, 02:50 AM
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here

Zeppelin IV

AC/DC - High Voltage

battschr
08-24-2005, 02:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Exile on Main Street

[/ QUOTE ]

malokoman
08-24-2005, 02:52 AM
i just recently began getting into floyd, wow. I purchased Wish You Were Here recently, another great album. Today at Best Buy I was extremely close to buying Saucerful of Secrets but didn't. Was this a mistake?

redrooski24
08-24-2005, 02:54 AM
Throwing out another

Black Sabbath - Paranoid

Macdaddy Warsaw
08-24-2005, 02:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Big Star's #1 Record

[/ QUOTE ]

Trying to be different...

Nick Drake - Pink Moon

All I'm doing is supplying the albums that are going out first round, aren't I?

cwsiggy
08-24-2005, 03:00 AM
DSOTM
The Wall
Rumours
The Cars
Damn the Torpedos (Think that was 79?)

istewart
08-24-2005, 03:11 AM
Yes, you are. But I dislike Nick Drake so he might not get in.

istewart
08-24-2005, 03:12 AM
Tom Petty, nice. Yeah, 1979. "Don't Do Me Like That" rocks.

Kirg
08-24-2005, 03:15 AM
http://rateyourmusic.com/album_images/s236.jpg
The Clash : London Calling (1979)

http://pitchforkmedia.com/top/70s/015.gif
The Who: Who's Next (1971)

http://pitchforkmedia.com/top/70s/009.gif
Joy Division: Unknown Pleasures (1979)

PeeWeeH
08-24-2005, 03:15 AM
Zepplin four wasn't even in their top three albums. Just admit you all bought it first because it had Stairway on it. I did. It's okay.

A few others to consider:

The Clash - The Clash
Led Zepplin - HotH or II (I lean towards HotH)
Tom Waits - Small Change
Bob Marley - Catch a Fire
Funkadelic - Maggot Brain
Elvis Costello - My Aim is True

There are lots more, but I won't go on.

PeeWee

istewart
08-24-2005, 03:22 AM
Good picks.

[ QUOTE ]
Zepplin four wasn't even in their top three albums. Just admit you all bought it first because it had Stairway on it. I did. It's okay.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is incorrect. Just because you've heard 5/8 songs 4,000 times on the radio doesn't make them bad songs. Song for song it is probably their best album. I typically put Physical Graffiti and Houses of the Holy ahead of it, but it never leaves the top three IMO. It doesn't have a bad moment on it.

quinn
08-24-2005, 03:44 AM
Hmm, ones that haven't been mentioned yet:

Birds of Fire
The Inner Mounting Flame
Led Zeppelin III (or maybe it was mentioned)

quinn
08-24-2005, 03:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Led Zeppelin II was released in 1969.

PeeWeeH
08-24-2005, 03:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Good picks.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is incorrect. Just because you've heard 5/8 songs 4,000 times on the radio doesn't make them bad songs. Song for song it is probably their best album. I typically put Physical Graffiti and Houses of the Holy ahead of it, but it never leaves the top three IMO. It doesn't have a bad moment on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. I also don't listen to classic rock radio, so I don't think that's the reason. Sure, there aren't any truly bad songs on the album, but I've never felt that Misty Mountain Hop or Battle of Evermore are all that interesting. You take an album like Houses, and even the lesser known tracks are a bit more interesting. Some people complain that they are being 'riffed to death' on these but I contend that they have more interesting melodies and the overall atmosphere of the album is better.

I'd put Houses, II, Physical Graffiti and maybe Coda ahead of IV. Call me crazy. I think I and III are close too.

PeeWee

PeeWeeH
08-24-2005, 03:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Led Zeppelin II was released in 1969.

[/ QUOTE ]

Christ, I guess I just think of LZ as such a quintessential 70's band, I forgot.

PeeWee

Drew16
08-24-2005, 03:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Exile on Main Street

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Rocket to Russia - Ramones

zephed
08-24-2005, 05:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]

A few others to consider:

The Clash - The Clash
Tom Waits - Small Change
Bob Marley - Catch a Fire
Funkadelic - Maggot Brain
Elvis Costello - My Aim is True

There are lots more, but I won't go on.

PeeWee

[/ QUOTE ]
Zeppelin IV is an excellent album, even without Stairway. RnR, Black Dog, Misty Mountain Hop and When the Levee Breaks would be standouts on any other Led Zeppelin album.

I believe II was released late in '69, so it does not apply.

Also, Physical Grafitti is the best album of the 70's.

lighterjobs
08-24-2005, 05:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Zeppelin IV

[/ QUOTE ]

zephed
08-24-2005, 05:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Good picks.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. I also don't listen to classic rock radio, so I don't think that's the reason. Sure, there aren't any truly bad songs on the album, but I've never felt that Misty Mountain Hop or Battle of Evermore are all that interesting. You take an album like Houses, and even the lesser known tracks are a bit more interesting. Some people complain that they are being 'riffed to death' on these but I contend that they have more interesting melodies and the overall atmosphere of the album is better.

I'd put Houses, II, Physical Graffiti and maybe Coda ahead of IV. Call me crazy. I think I and III are close too.

PeeWee

[/ QUOTE ]
Crank your stereo to eleven, and listen to Misty Mountain Hop (or When the Levee Breaks). That drumming is powerful on there.

You probably don't like Battle of Evermore because it isn't a rock 'n' roll song.

ChipWrecked
08-24-2005, 06:00 AM
The Wall.

Honorable Mention: 'Rumours' and 'Court and Spark'

(C&S was inspiration for Zep III, btw)

stigmata
08-24-2005, 06:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

malokoman
08-24-2005, 06:06 AM
The Wall was released in the 70's? (nevermind)

dsm
08-24-2005, 06:14 AM
http://cover6.cduniverse.com/MuzeAudioArt/150/156485.jpg

Vavavoom
08-24-2005, 06:35 AM
Off The Wall - MJ

DarkForceRising
08-24-2005, 08:59 AM
Black Sabbath- Volume 4

cadillac1234
08-24-2005, 09:02 AM
Cheap Trick- 'Live at Budokan'

http://www.cheaptrick.com/images/recpic4a.jpg

imported_The Vibesman
08-24-2005, 09:06 AM
No love for "Born To Run"?

DarkForceRising
08-24-2005, 09:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Cheap Trick- 'Live at Budokan'

http://www.cheaptrick.com/images/recpic4a.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]
I went to St. Patricks' Catholic Churchs' block party in Chicago 4 or 5 years ago. They had a band on later that night. Just a local band named Cheap Trick.

Outstanding show.

lucas9000
08-24-2005, 09:28 AM
this is in the same vein as the "greatest mc" poll: there are probably at least 10 right answers. the 70s were amazing for music.

Dave G.
08-24-2005, 09:42 AM
Pink Floyd is truly awesome. I think everyone should own every Floyd album. Did you see them kick some ass at Live 8? Damn, Gilmour is like 64 years old now or something, and he can still belt out the tunes. (Now you know where my 2+2 name comes from.)

My picks are of course DSoTM and The Wall... but I'd also like to mention Meddle and Animals, they are also fantastic albums that don't get the attention they deserve I feel (of course, that's probably because they're a bit in the shadow of the other Pink Floyd masterpieces of that era). Echoes is just an amazing song. I can't see any band today pulling off a 23 1/2 minute masterpiece like that.

sammy_g
08-24-2005, 10:17 AM
London Calling (1979)

It's also the best album of the 80s. (The American release was January 1980, I think. /images/graemlins/smile.gif)

Pick your favorite Beatles album for best album of the 60s.

2planka
08-24-2005, 10:22 AM
Perhaps not the best, but clearly underrated:

The Police, Regatta de Blanc (1979). Fantastic record.

Some others not already mentioned:
Hotel California (Eagles)
Never mind the bollocks (Sex Pistols)
Mothership Connection (Parliament)
Natty Dread (Bob Marley & the Wailers)
Rocks (Aerosmith)

enough for now.

Hamish McBagpipe
08-24-2005, 10:26 AM
http://images.radioio.com/includes/radioioBoogie/images/albums/boney-m-nightflight-to-venus.jpg

lucas9000
08-24-2005, 11:07 AM
i know it won't get many votes, but i want to throw head hunters into the mix.

swede123
08-24-2005, 11:10 AM
While not my favorite Beatles albums a poll like this would have to include Hey Jude and Let it Be.

Swede

sammy_g
08-24-2005, 11:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
While not my favorite Beatles albums a poll like this would have to include Hey Jude and Let it Be.

[/ QUOTE ]
If Abbey Road were released in 1970 instead of 1969, it would get my vote. Let It Be is a great album, but I don't know about best of the decade.

Let It Be was actually recorded before Abbey Road, but released later. I still think of Abbey Road as the last Beatles album.

HDPM
08-24-2005, 11:24 AM
yes, Phys Graf > IV.

HDPM
08-24-2005, 11:26 AM
surprised it took this far down in the thread for Who's Next

mmbt0ne
08-24-2005, 11:28 AM
Yeah, it won't win, but I think it deserves to be mentioned.

Boston - Boston

bosoxfan
08-24-2005, 11:28 AM
Morrison Hotel - The Doors (1970)

Get Your Wings - Aerosmith (1974)

Dominic
08-24-2005, 11:53 AM
The Cars - The Cars
Fleetwood Mac - Rumors
The Rolling Stones - Exile on Main Street
Kiss - Alive
Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Led Zepplin IV

Dominic
08-24-2005, 11:59 AM
Tom Petty - Damn the Torpedos
Cheap Trick - Live at Budokhan
Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run
The Clash - London Calling
Roxy Music - Country Life
The Cars - Candy-O (1979)

Bluffoon
08-24-2005, 12:12 PM
Dire Straights - 1978

Already mentioned but favs of mine.

Pink Floyd Wish you were here

THe Police Regatta

diebitter
08-24-2005, 12:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
If Abbey Road were released in 1970 instead of 1969, it would get my vote. Let It Be is a great album, but I don't know about best of the decade.

Let It Be was actually recorded before Abbey Road, but released later. I still think of Abbey Road as the last Beatles album.

[/ QUOTE ]

nh. Golden Slumbers is probably the best 'little-heard' song of the Beatles, and probably my favourite of theirs. The rest of the album has some class.

DarkForceRising
08-24-2005, 12:24 PM
Damn the Torpedoes was a great album. Everyone knows "Refugee", "Don't Do Me Like That" and "Here Comes My Girl".

Unfortunately, doucheload commercial radio never plays the best songs on that album (Century City, Shadow of a Doubt, Louisiana Rain).

Dominic
08-24-2005, 12:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Damn the Torpedoes was a great album. Everyone knows "Refugee", "Don't Do Me Like That" and "Here Comes My Girl".

Unfortunately, doucheload commercial radio never plays the best songs on that album (Century City, Shadow of a Doubt, Louisiana Rain).

[/ QUOTE ]

"It's just the normal noises in here!"

Dominic
08-24-2005, 12:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Dire Straits - 1978

Already mentioned but favs of mine.

Pink Floyd Wish you were here

THe Police Regatta

[/ QUOTE ]

good call

imported_The Vibesman
08-24-2005, 12:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I do hear "Even The Losers" sometimes, which is nice.

08-24-2005, 12:49 PM
Santana : Abraxas
Lou Reed : Berlin

DarkForceRising
08-24-2005, 01:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw him in '02 and he did it live. Pretty rare. Voice was a little thin during that show but it still sounded great.

mythrilfox
08-24-2005, 01:40 PM
I usually give the nod to madman across the water over yellow brick.

My fave, genesis- lamb lies down on broadway.

TimTimSalabim
08-24-2005, 01:46 PM

WDC
08-24-2005, 01:48 PM
I was gonna say that

along with the Who Who's Next

and my personal high school favorite

The Knack-- Get The Knack

and Meatloaf Bat of Hell

imported_The Vibesman
08-24-2005, 01:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw him in '02 and he did it live. Pretty rare. Voice was a little thin during that show but it still sounded great.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's one of the only people I always wanted to see that I haven't.

Another fantastic, underrated album is "Long After Dark." Only "You Got Lucky" gets radio play, and even tho it's a good song it may be the worst on the album. The whole second side (Between Two Worlds, Same Old You, etc) is kickass.

Dominic
08-24-2005, 01:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Another fantastic, underrated album is "Long After Dark." Only "You Got Lucky" gets radio play, and even tho it's a good song it may be the worst on the album. The whole second side (Between Two Worlds, Same Old You, etc) is kickass.

[/ QUOTE ]

Long After Dark is my favorite Petty album....and I've seen him 6 times in concert - always a thrill, always a great show.

2planka
08-24-2005, 02:04 PM
Curtis Mayfield: Superfly

Marvin Gaye: Let's get it on

Stevie Wonder: Anthology

The Commodores: Greatest Hits 1978

ClassicBob
08-24-2005, 02:21 PM
Iggy and the Stooges - Raw Power

Has Wish You Were Here been mentioned?

plaster8
08-24-2005, 02:38 PM
Van Halen's first album (1978) is pretty damn good.

And I second Who's Next and Houses of the Holy.

DarkForceRising
08-24-2005, 02:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Another fantastic, underrated album is "Long After Dark." Only "You Got Lucky" gets radio play, and even tho it's a good song it may be the worst on the album. The whole second side (Between Two Worlds, Same Old You, etc) is kickass. [/quote

"One Story Town" is one of my all time favs- not to mention the story of my life. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

I got a T-shirt in Gatlinburg, Tenn. when I was a teen that was from the Long After Dark tour. On the back it had a pic of a Rickenbarker and under it said "Let That Sucker Blast!". Sure wish I still had that thing.

DarkForceRising
08-24-2005, 02:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Long After Dark is my favorite Petty album....and I've seen him 6 times in concert - always a thrill, always a great show.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you catch him in '02? I've seen him 3 times and that was the best. He did quite a few songs that I've never heard him do live before.

Happy B-day, BTW!

istewart
08-24-2005, 02:50 PM
Songs in the Key of Life
Sticky Fingers
Quadrophenia
Pretzel Logic
Marquee Moon
Every Picture Tells a Story
Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs

M2d
08-24-2005, 03:09 PM
What's Going On

Dominic
08-24-2005, 04:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you catch him in '02? I've seen him 3 times and that was the best. He did quite a few songs that I've never heard him do live before.

Happy B-day, BTW!

[/ QUOTE ]

haven't seen him since the late 90's....my first Petter concert was the Damn the Torpedoes tour, and I think I saww almost every tour from then thru Southern Accents....

and thanks!

BaggyAnt
08-24-2005, 04:22 PM
born to run

bernie
08-24-2005, 04:27 PM
Lots of real good ones mentioned.

[ QUOTE ]
Van Halen's first album (1978) is pretty damn good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Beat me to it! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Someone also beat me to Alive! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I didn't see Montrose mentioned though. That album just kicks ass.

Beachboys : Endless Summer

b

jba
08-24-2005, 04:28 PM
Blood on the Tracks.

I win.

kitaristi0
08-24-2005, 04:34 PM
The correct answer is

Birds of Fire by The Mahavishnu Orchestra

Oh Yeah!

oreogod
08-24-2005, 05:22 PM
Just about every Bob marley album. But Burnin, Catch a Fire, Natty Dread work for now. Maybe even Survival.

08-24-2005, 06:41 PM
1. KISS Alive--KISS
2. Dark Side of the Moon--Pink Floyd
3. Nevermind the Bollocks--Sex Pistols
4. Ramones--Ramones
5. Paranoid--Black Sabbath

SheetWise
08-24-2005, 07:11 PM
It was Alan Parsons. It was inspiring.

Digital delay lines, digital recording, phase shifters and flangers ... replaced EMT and tape delay ....

I'm dating myself.

UncleRemus
08-24-2005, 07:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My fave, genesis- lamb lies down on broadway.

[/ QUOTE ]

YES!
I'm still waiting for an album better than this...

I was gonna nominate it anyway, knowing nobody else would give a damn. Boy am I glad to see this post.... At least we know it's getting 2 votes minimum if it makes a poll.

(Close to the Edge from Yes was also the balls.)

scalf
08-24-2005, 08:12 PM
/images/graemlins/grin.gif..

absolutely, positively:

eat a peach allman bros

blue sky my my

gl

/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /images/graemlins/club.gif

sfer
08-24-2005, 08:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
http://rateyourmusic.com/album_images/s236.jpg
The Clash : London Calling (1979)

http://pitchforkmedia.com/top/70s/015.gif
The Who: Who's Next (1971)

[/ QUOTE ]

These are damn good choices.

FrankStallone
08-24-2005, 08:46 PM
Frank Stallones early live recorded songs from his first album were untouchable, a mix of pure heart and some really bad lyrics. The best album of all time- Frank Stallone "in love in vain".. He is one of the most talented men to sing and also star in a movie called rollerblader 7.

KDawgCometh
08-24-2005, 10:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Songs in the Key of Life
Quadrophenia
Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs

[/ QUOTE ]

the fact that you are the only person to mention these albums is sad. I'd also like to add, Allman Bros Brothers&Sisters, Exptrapolations, Animals(and there are people claiming to be floyd fans), any YES album between 70-78, Abraxas, man, there's so much good [censored] from the 70s and people tried saying that it was bad because of disco in the worst musical decade poll, please(there's good disco too people, but most of it was pretty crappy)

KDawgCometh
08-24-2005, 11:06 PM
wanted to add blood on the tracks too

zoomOut
08-24-2005, 11:30 PM
Songs in the Key of Life
Eat A Peach
Derek and the Dominos /images/graemlins/heart.gif (a homerun.... my favorite album of all time)

UncleRemus
08-24-2005, 11:52 PM
Everybody else is listing a bunch, I better represent the prog. Somebody second some of these, so they can lose first round to inferior albums...

Van der Graaf Generator - The Least We Can Do is Wave to Each Other
Emerson, Lake, & Palmer - Tarkus
Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds of Fire
King Crimson - Red
Yes - Tales from Topographic Oceans
Genesis - Selling England by the Pound
Triumvirat - Illusions on a Double Dimple
Rush - 2112

KDawgCometh
08-25-2005, 12:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

or any other album they did

TimTimSalabim
08-25-2005, 02:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm rather partial to Trilogy, but yeah, they're all classics.

The Yes Album deserves to be nominated too.

I guess I'm not the only 40-something in this forum! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Edit: And oh yeah, how could I forget Fragile. That's probably the definitive Yes.

Xenia
08-25-2005, 02:49 AM
Joni Mitchell-Blue
Neil Young-Harvest
Stevie Wonder-Songs in the key of life
Peter Gabriel-VI

and so many others come to mind...

istewart
08-25-2005, 02:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Brain Salad Surgery definitely.

KDawgCometh
08-25-2005, 03:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]

The Yes Album deserves to be nominated too.

I guess I'm not the only 40-something in this forum! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Edit: And oh yeah, how could I forget Fragile. That's probably the definitive Yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm 25 and a big YES fan, had to just listen to the radio on the way back from a phish show and through several states there were different radio stations that played a bunch of YES, I became a fan cause they pretty much kicked ass and I wasn't really all that familiar with them before

UncleRemus
08-25-2005, 03:39 AM
It is real close... Karn Evil 9 is an incredible song, especially the third impression; amazing keys from the greatest keyboardist to ever live.

ChipWrecked
08-25-2005, 04:16 AM
Feats Don't Fail Me Now - Little Feat

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v382/aksooted/feats.jpg

Dirk1963
08-25-2005, 08:15 AM
Deep Purple - Made in Japan
Ac/Dc - Highway to Hell
All the Floyd and LZ stuff
For the piano listener in me:
Keith Jarrett - The Köln Concert

BigBaitsim (milo)
08-25-2005, 08:19 AM
I have not bothered to read the thread. There is no point, as this was decided 25 years ago when 1980 hit and there was still no album to compete with Dark Side of the Moon. Not even close and any response other than this is simply wrong.

08-25-2005, 10:52 PM
Cool thread. I think it cost me about 4 gig in space this past day.

I'll toss in:

Santana - Santana III (71)
RUSH - Hemispheres (78)
UFO - Stangers In The Night (78)

Rick Nebiolo
08-26-2005, 01:52 AM
Shoot Out the Lights (http://tinyurl.com/at7o4) by Richard & Linda Thompsom. The Amazon link says 1991 but this has to be for a re-release. The album was made around 1976.

I'd put Who's Next as number 2, maybe Fleetwood Mac's Rumours as number 3.

~ Rick