PDA

View Full Version : How do you deal with this BS?

pearljam
08-24-2005, 02:36 AM
I just lost another $100-$200 in EV in disconects, if I can't find a solution to this im switching to ring games, I have cable, and this happens about once a week (I play all day, so im pretty much on half the time it goes out). Every day this happens I lose all the EV that I would have gained for the day, 4x$33=$132 on average, although on this occasion I had big stacks so it cost me more. I can't have this happen again, it flushes away a days work and happens so frequently.

I do not know anything about computers or anything technical, I also can not buy anything online unless they take neteller. I am willing to spend up to $1500 fixing this problem if there is any way to stop it. Somebody please tell me what I need to do or what I need to buy to stop me from ever losing my connection again, thanks.

Myst
08-24-2005, 02:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I just lost another $100-$200 in EV in disconects, if I can't find a solution to this im switching to ring games, I have cable, and this happens about once a week (I play all day, so im pretty much on half the time it goes out). Every day this happens I lose all the EV that I would have gained for the day, 4x$33=$132 on average, although on this occasion I had big stacks so it cost me more. I can't have this happen again, it flushes away a days work and happens so frequently.

I do not know anything about computers or anything technical, I also can not buy anything online unless they take neteller. I am willing to spend up to $1500 fixing this problem if there is any way to stop it. Somebody please tell me what I need to do or what I need to buy to stop me from ever losing my connection again, thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Get two internet connections...

Weatherhead03
Computer Technical Help would be a lot better form to post this in.

brimstone1
Nobody can help you never get disconnected again,

but I believe some 2+2ers actually have 2 mehtods of connecting to the internet as a safety.

If you can, get cable/DSL from another provider and have it as a backup.

That would probably cost you $50-$70/mo, instead of the ridiculous* $1500 you're offering /images/graemlins/smile.gif

pearljam
08-24-2005, 02:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Nobody can help you never get disconnected again,

but I believe some 2+2ers actually have 2 mehtods of connecting to the internet as a safety.

If you can, get cable/DSL from another provider and have it as a backup.

That would probably cost you $50-$70/mo, instead of the ridiculous* $1500 you're offering /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

How does this work, is there someone I can call to set this up for me? what store do I need to go to. Help!

The4Aces
08-24-2005, 02:46 AM
You get Cable and DSL then you get some sort of router than can handel two sources of internet. This should make it so your disconnects go down.

pearljam
08-24-2005, 02:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You get Cable and DSL then you get some sort of router than can handel two sources of internet. This should make it so your disconnects go down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could I buy the DSL service, then keep the little wire that plugs into my computer at the ready, and then when I get disconected on cable quickly go down and switch the plugs, before I even miss a hand. Is this possible? Would this virtually eliminate my disconects?

bawcerelli
08-24-2005, 02:53 AM
you'll need a small router that can handle multiple internet connection types. for example, dsl and cable modem (i suggest checking out www.cisco.com (http://www.cisco.com)). have your router configured (by someone who knows what they're doing) to load balance traffic across both internet connections. this way if one isp goes down for whatever reason, your router can still reach whatever poker site you play on through the other isp. and of course when both isp's are up and running...twice as fast internet access speeds. pm me if you have any other q's.

bawcerelli
08-24-2005, 02:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Could I buy the DSL service, then keep the little wire that plugs into my computer at the ready, and then when I get disconected on cable quickly go down and switch the plugs, before I even miss a hand. Is this possible? Would this virtually eliminate my disconects?

[/ QUOTE ]

nice try, but no way dude! /images/graemlins/cool.gif

pearljam
08-24-2005, 02:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

why? I dont see why this wouldnt work.

bawcerelli
08-24-2005, 03:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

doing it without a router will cause an ip address problem. between every network segment (for example your pc and your isp's router/switch) there is a network portion and a host portion for an IP scheme. your isp will assign your pc an ip address (statically or dynamically). IP addresses are globally unique. when you try to unplug your cord from the down isp and connect to the other isp, your pc will have an ip address that is part of the network of the other isp. you won't be able to communicate with the second isp. it will take time for your pc to remove the current IP address configured then get a new one from the second isp. this is too much time wasted when you're in a tourney. just get a router, it will cut out the middle man for you. your pc will always have the same Ip address and network address to communicate with your router. the router will then handle communication with each isp.

08-24-2005, 03:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, if you wanna do it that way, it works, but you may miss a hand or two while bodog searches for your new IP. I've done it myself.

pearljam
08-24-2005, 03:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

doing it without a router will cause an ip address problem. between every network segment (for example your pc and your isp's router/switch) there is a network portion and a host portion for an IP scheme. your isp will assign your pc an ip address (statically or dynamically). IP addresses are globally unique. when you try to unplug your cord from the down isp and connect to the other isp, your pc will have an ip address that is part of the network of the other isp. you won't be able to communicate with the second isp. it will take time for your pc to remove the current IP address configured then get a new one from the second isp. this is too much time wasted when you're in a tourney. just get a router, it will cut out the middle man for you. your pc will always have the same Ip address and network address to communicate with your router. the router will then handle communication with each isp.

[/ QUOTE ]

How long would it take my computer to adjust to the IP address change? I seriously have no idea how to buy and set up this kind of thing, is there like a number I can call where I can pay somebody to come to my house and do it for me?

pokergrader
08-24-2005, 03:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How long would it take my computer to adjust to the IP address change? I seriously have no idea how to buy and set up this kind of thing, is there like a number I can call where I can pay somebody to come to my house and do it for me?

[/ QUOTE ]

It takes about 5 seconds.

just type "ipconfig /renew" into start-->run

Or even easier:

Get another network card, plug in your new internet into it.
Windows XP automatically can handle+balance 2 different net connections

bawcerelli
08-24-2005, 03:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Actually, if you wanna do it that way, it works, but you may miss a hand or two while bodog searches for your new IP. I've done it myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

you have it backwards. the poker servers can't just search for you when you go down...there's billions of ip addresses how would it know how to find you? instead, the poker software on your computer attempts to contact the poker servers. if your lan interface is misconfigured, you're not going to get any traffic *anywhere* on the internet. make it easy on yourself, just get a small router.

HesseJam
08-24-2005, 03:14 AM
A low cost alternative would be to disconnect to your router and use the ol' dial up. You'l lose a hand or two. This would take about 2-3 mins. I wish I had thought of this before I got banged out of 4 tourneys at level 4.

johnny005
08-24-2005, 03:16 AM
When you purchase your DSL they will have to come set it up for you!... Just get the service guy to hook it all up so everything is working for you.. You need a router for sure...

I ws having the same problem until last week I forked out the extra $40/month its worth it when its already costing your $200+/month

08-24-2005, 03:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you have it backwards. the poker servers can't just search for you when you go down...there's billions of ip addresses how would it know how to find you? instead, the poker software on your computer attempts to contact the poker servers. if your lan interface is misconfigured, you're not going to get any traffic *anywhere* on the internet. make it easy on yourself, just get a small router.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, sorry. Don't know what I'm talking about. Just know it worked for me. Probly best to do what he says.

bawcerelli
08-24-2005, 03:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Or even easier:

[/ QUOTE ]

i was trying to keep it simple for him. didn't think he'd be interested in typing in a dos command. and even then ipconfig/ release ipconfig /renew sometimes takes a while to work properly---this is because it still relies on the isp to push the ip address via dhcp. and i like the idea of popping in a second interface card. that's probably the best way to go (assuming you're running XP).

pearljam
08-24-2005, 03:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Or even easier:

[/ QUOTE ]

So All I need to do is buy DSL and then when cable goes out switch the 2 cords and then just type "ipconfig /renew" into start-->run then I can start playing poker emmediatly after that?

bawcerelli
08-24-2005, 03:24 AM
it will work but it won't be as quick as you think. what if the isp is configured to only answer dhcp requests once every 5 minutes? that's 4 minutes and 59 seconds too long for me when i'm in a tourney. just get a second interface card..you can get brand new ones for $5.

viennagreen
08-24-2005, 03:56 AM
and even if you're totally computer illiterate, take your computer to a store (like Best Buy) to install the second network card.... maybe cost you $60 total at the most with installation.

jon462
08-24-2005, 11:50 AM
I have problems with my cable too.. i set my computer up upstairs (was downstairs with very little problems) and i think this cable wire is having problems.. has no problems hooked up to a tv but hooked up to the comp it is constantly going out for 3-4 mins then reconnecting. Like a jackass i tried to log into aol w/ my parents connection as a backup (thinking i could have the dialup connected w/ my cable to use instantly when the cable went down).. but aol wants to always connect via the high speed when its working, haha. still waiting 2 mins or so for it to dial-in is faster than screwing with the cable (which sometimes doesnt reconnect for 10 mins or more).. and when it does reconnect i can just close aol..

however getting dsl as a backup is def a better solution, and thanks to this thread I know what i need to do to accomplish that <g>

08-24-2005, 12:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have problems with my cable too.. i set my computer up upstairs (was downstairs with very little problems) and i think this cable wire is having problems..

[/ QUOTE ]The signal strength needed for effective internet connection is different thanthe signal strength needed for TV connection. Splitting the signal multiple times is unlikely to cause problems for TV, but it may for internet. There is likely an extra split or two between the downstairs outlet and the upstairs outlet.

wulfheir
08-24-2005, 12:06 PM
Print off this link (http://www.birds-eye.net/article_archive/multiple_isp_connections_to_home_business.htm) .

Bring it into 3 local computer stores and ask them for quotes, installed at your home.
They will all be below your $1500 budget.

locutus2002
08-24-2005, 12:17 PM
I happen to have the worst Internet provider in the world. Adelphia in Los Angeles.

My connection goes down like clockwork every Sunday afternoon, and it started getting really bad over the summer.
I lost several $50 tournament entries because I was unable to play.

My first really bad experience I folded into 3rd on the final table with a monster stack (5 players left).

One week later I lost my connection heads up on a final table with T1,000,000 (50%) and had T100,000 when my provider came back online. 1st - $3000, 2nd - $2000.

I bought a Verizon wireless broadband card for my PC. It connects at either broadband or modem speeds depending on what's available in your area. It costs $80/month (unlimited), and now I can take my game anywhere.

It's not as fast as a hard connection, but having two independent ways of getting to the Internet is going to eliminate almost all of the problems.

This weekend when the Internet went down at 2PM, I plugged in my Verizon card and only missed 1 hand on each table.

My game is now mobile, too.

The Don
08-24-2005, 12:26 PM
I have blacked out of 8x 33s and 8x 22s this summer for a total of $440. My own stupidity was to blame though as both times I was playing during a lightning storm.

I would just get a dialup or DSL to back you up if your cable sucks that much.

Messy_Jesse
08-24-2005, 02:21 PM
Aside from getting another internet connection, find a friend or another 2+2'er that you trust and talk to them. Exchange numbers and ask if they would be willing to help finish a set for you if this happens.

I do this with a friend, and it has saved me a good chunk of change a couple of times, especially since I 8-table. Yesterday, another friend called and said his connection was out, and I finished up his four $10 SNGS for him. Saved him like $30. Maybe you could offer them 25% of the winnings for that hour or something.

-Jess

The Venetian
08-24-2005, 03:30 PM
In all seriousness, have you contacted your cable company about this?

Last summer, my cable modem would crash and burn every time the weather got bad (and T-storms in Florida summers are pretty much a daily occurrence). After a week or two of it being particularly poor, I got a tech to come out and look at it. Apparently, it was somewhat outdated (they had switched models in the interim) and resetting it cold wore it down.

They came to my house, gave me a new modem, and everything was fine from then on. It was also free.

beetyjoose
08-24-2005, 03:41 PM
I just jump to my neighbors' wireless connection

networkman
08-24-2005, 03:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I just jump to my neighbors' wireless connection

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I do this also. I have 3 unsecured networks available.

If you have a wireless card available its worth looking into. Even if they are secure you can always ask if they'll share.