PDA

View Full Version : Sneaky, Sneaky frying pan

slavic
08-24-2005, 01:26 AM
9 handed limit game, live

folds to an MP player who open raises, now this is in accord with his general style and while I find him a very good hand reader, he is opening quite a bit more than he should be. His post flop skills should be best described as "don't show weakness" I am next to act and 3 bet with AJo. The rest of the table folds. The anti-hero calls.

For those who need it he's around a 28/20 type of player but not as position aware, but quite good if you let him have position on you.

6 7 3 r

check, bet, call Was anything else going to happen? I mean really, look at the flop.
Turn
Ace that completes the rainbow

MP checks, and I swiftly check behind.

MP bets the river dark, some middling something or other comes off the deck and I raise.

How's my metagame?

MoP_86
08-24-2005, 02:12 AM
beautiful

Really like the check on the turn because of the weak board.

I also like the river raise because I feel that blind betting is more often then not a last attempt at bluffing.... he was probably drawing dead.

ebranig
08-24-2005, 02:50 AM
I hate this play.

If you bet the turn is he folding because he thinks you have an A? I don't get it. Would you not fold to a turn raise? What's the point in not continuing your bet, you could have any pp, anything. I bet this turn 100% of the time.

Jake (The Snake)
08-24-2005, 02:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you bet the turn is he folding because he thinks you have an A?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, Hero 3-bet preflop.

[ QUOTE ]
Would you not fold to a turn raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

I sure as hell wouldn't.

[ QUOTE ]
What's the point in not continuing your bet, you could have any pp, anything. I bet this turn 100% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

The point is that if villain doesn't have an ace, he is folding. If he has a pocket pair or a lower ace, he will likely bet the river and we can raise. Even if he doesn't bet, he is more likely to call the river bet than the turn bet once the turn checks through.

I wouldn't make this play against every opponent, but it is correct in smallish pots against some player types, I think.

Uglyowl
08-24-2005, 02:56 AM
You 3-bet representing a big hand. What hand do you not like to continue with a 6-7-3r and then the ace doesn't help you either. It is just not believable most of the time.

I would like to take down the pot right then and there at the turn. No need to mess around.

The Goober
08-24-2005, 05:05 AM
I think the only problem with this line is that he will won't call your river raise very often with a hand you can beat. In fact, I think there are hands that he would check-raise the turn with (like Axs) that he won't call the river raise with, since your play really looks like exactly what it is - being tricky with a good A. If he has one of these hands, you are losing at least 1BB by checking the turn, and you might be losing 2 if he would CR the turn and lead the river.

A lot depends on his image of you. If he thinks of you as a good, agressive player, then your turn check will seem fishy and he will probably not fall for it (but he might try to get you off a medium PP). If he thinks of you as more weak-tight, then I think I like the turn check because he's more likely to give you credit for the A if you bet.

Carmine
08-24-2005, 07:16 AM
I don't like this line because it is not consistent with what cards you assign him on the turn. If this guy is on complete air than the turn check is good to induce a river bluff but no point in the river raise(and what if you get 3-bet by AQ that missed a turn C/R). If this guy is on A/little which is what your river raise is saying I think there is a better chance of getting C/R on the turn as previous poster mentioned. At mimimum A/little would just call a turn bet and a river bet. I also think there is a good chance A/little doesn't call the river raise(IE: if your not afraid of TP what can he beat, unless you have been playing real tricky)