PDA

View Full Version : Paul Kammen's book

Andy B
08-24-2005, 01:25 AM
Recently, a couple of different people have asked about Paul Kammen’s book. I had not read it, but said that Mason wasn’t complimentary of it. Apparently, I was mistaken (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=3141216&page=3&view=c ollapsed&sb=5&o=14&vc=1). Oooops. This was a very bad thing for me to do, to Kammen, to Mason, to you guys. For this, I apologize. As penance, I went out and bought Kammen’s book. I have now read it, and I don’t like it as much as West’s book....
From the text:

“Nine times out of ten, your first three cards will be in the muck.”

Does anyone, and I mean anyone, play this tight? In good low-limit games, I’m around 25%, and in tough games, I’m probably around 18%. Seems to me that anyone playing 10% of his hands is going to go like Broomcorn’s uncle.

Kammen’s recommended buy-in for $2/4 is at least $40. I’ll let others elaborate.

Canterbury’s $2/4 game has a $.50 ante and $1 bring-in, and that is the model that Kammen uses for his discussion. I think that Canterbury’s $3/6 game, with the same ante and bring-in, would have been a better model. Actually, he doesn’t mention the ante. I wonder if he’s aware that there are $2/4 games where the ante is $.25, and many low-limit games with no ante.

Really, I think that a modern book on low-limit stud needs to cover both spread and structured limits with no ante, small ante, large ante, and over-ante. This is only one of the reasons I’m still on page 4.

Kammen says he has only been rolled-up a few times. I wonder what he means by “a few.” I don’t know how many times I’ve been rolled-up, but it’s at least 100, which is more than a few. I wonder just how much this guy has actually played.

A third-street scenario: low card brings it in for $1, three players call and two fold. You have (JJ)4. The guy behind you has a Ten in the door, and there is only the bring-in after him. The limpers have two Queens and a King. Kammen has you raise here, saying that you want to get the guys behind you out. I consider myself to be a pretty aggressive player, especially when playing $2/4 while quaffing bloody maries. I think that calling in this spot is far superior to raising. Your raise isn’t going to get out too many people who weren’t folding anyway. There just isn’t that big of a difference between calling $1 and $2. Maybe the bring-in will fold for the extra $1, but if his hand is that poor, he’ll probably fold to a bet on fourth street. You’re not going to get the big cards to fold for another dollar, and any one of them could hit on fourth street. I think you’re much better off limping and then hoping to get a raise in if things fall good on fourth street.

Kammen says to raise with a big pair on third street 99% of the time. I don’t know what the proper percentage is, but it ain’t 99% of the time. You shouldn’t even play 99% of the time.

He recommends that if you have a medium pair on third street and haven’t been paying attention, so that you don’t know what the folded cards are, you just fold. I think in that situation you just have to treat the unseen cards as unseen cards. Then again, I don’t watch TV while the cards are being dealt. The cocktail waitresses are another matter.

Kammen says never to raise with three to a flush. I won’t expound on why I disagree with this here, but I’m guessing that most of you are in my camp anyway.

There are ten questions at the end of the chapter on third-street play. I answered about seven of these questions with another question. In most cases, he has not given enough information for me to make a decision. For example, the first questions is, you are the bring-in with (JJ)2. Do you bring it in for $1 or $2? My question is, what else is showing?

Kammen has you slow-play big rolled-up trips but play small rolled-up trips fast. I’ve seen similar advice elsewhere—West, and I think even 7CS4AP. I have two problems with this. One, I just don’t think there’s that much difference between 222 and AAA. I have lost with rolled-up trips many times, at least 20 or 30. I don’t think I’ve lost with rolled-up trips to a bigger set more than once or twice. It’s mostly been straights and flushes and a couple of full houses.

The other is more general. I think low-limit stud players usually leave money on the table by slow-playing rolled-up trips. The main reason to slow-play anything is to encourage action where you would not otherwise have gotten any. Think of the times in a low-limit game where you folded for half-an-hour, raised with an Ace in the door, and got six callers. Is there any reason to slow-play in a game like that?

Kammen suggests that if someone is showing open Queens and you have pocket Jacks on fourth street, you can call if your hand is live and the other guy’s is dead. I think that this is a terrible game-plan. If someone disagrees with me, I’ll go into mind-numbing detail.

Kammen has a few scenarios where a bigger board acts after a lower board. When this happens, it means one of two things:

1) There was a bigger board out that checked.
2) The high board check-raised.

This is relevant information. Kammen is constantly guilty of oversimplifying things, leaving out important details. This is too complex a game to be doing that.

Kammen seems to suggest that your default play with unimproved Aces on fifth street should be to check-and-fold. I think this is weak-tight as best. While there will certainly be times when you will need to do just that, my default play is to bet. Two things:

1) You will usually still have the best hand.
2) Fifth street is frequently your best opportunity to get people to fold.

Also, since there will usually be a decent amount of money in the pot on fifth (you did raise on third, didn’t you? You did bet fourth, didn’t you?), automatically giving up is a mistake.

Kammen says that your default play should be to slow-play big full houses or better on fifth. I think that this is a mistake in most low-limit games. They don’t fold when you bet your unimproved Aces or two crappy pair. Why would they fold when you bet your big full house? You can afford to slow-play, but you’re usually leaving money on the table by doing so.

Canterbury Park has a bad-beat jackpot for all games below $10/20. To qualify for the stud jackpot (stud and stud/8 share a jackpot), you have to have Aces full of Tens or better beaten by quads or better. Kammen says that if you have a jackpot-eligible hand on sixth street you should slow-play it to try for the jackpot. I think that in general, this is a mistake. Basically, no one is going to fold a hand with jackpot potential on sixth. How often do you fold trips or a straight flush draw on sixth street? The typical low-limit player virtually never will. On sixth, you only have two more streets to collect bets, so you should usually take advantage of the opportunity. There is the occasional exception, of course. If you have quads with three of a kind showing and you think the other guy probably has Aces-up, you can well afford to give him a free card. But if you have (99)499T against the same Aces-up, he’s not going to fold, and you have him drawing dead. Failing to bet here would be criminal.

Kammen has you usually just call on sixth street with trips because trips aren’t as strong in stud as they are in hold’em. While this is true, trips are still usually strong enough to raise with in stud, although whether or not you do depends on what you think the other guy is betting with.

Kammen says that if you have two pair on sixth street, the odds against making a full house are 10:1. This is correct if you consider your hand in a vacuum (actually, 10.5:1). By sixth street, however, you will have seen quite a few cards. If you’ve seen a total of 20 cards, and all of your outs are still live, it’s less than 7:1 against making your full house. On the other hand, if you’ve seen two of your cards, it’s 15:1. In the first case you might be persuaded to call a raise and in the second you may not even be able to call a bet.

Anyway, you guys get the idea. Rather than write my own book, which would be a lot of work, I could probably come up with a few hundred pages of stuff I don't like in other people's stud books. I haven't even seen Ken Warren's book yet.

sexdrugsmoney
08-24-2005, 01:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Kammen’s recommended buy-in for $2/4 is at least $40.

[/ QUOTE ]

I stopped reading here. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

mscags
08-24-2005, 01:44 AM
I'm sorry you had to read that book. It sounds awful...

greatwhite
08-24-2005, 02:04 AM
Wow! This post makes it look like West's book is the bible. Thanks for the info Andy. I would buy you a beer, but I don't think I'm going to be visiting Minnesota any time soon. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif I do got to play stud on another site besides Party though. I don't know why the ante is so high.

mscags
08-24-2005, 02:11 AM
I would buy you a beer, but I can't /images/graemlins/frown.gif

greenage
08-24-2005, 02:17 AM
1) Bloody brilliant analysis as usual.

2) I’ve been thinking about mixed drinks of late and while “Bloody Mary’s” may be healthier, my favorite was always “Singapore Slings”. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

3) [ QUOTE ]
Anyway, you guys get the idea. Rather than write my own book, which would be a lot of work, I could probably come up with a few hundred pages of stuff I don't like in other people's stud books. I haven't even seen Ken Warren's book yet.

[/ QUOTE ]
Nooooo! Darn slacker, give us a book. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

bigredlemon
08-24-2005, 02:18 AM
"I don’t think I’ve lost with rolled-up trips to a bigger set more than once or twice. It’s mostly been straights and flushes and a couple of full houses."
2-3 out of 100 seems improbably low. My rolled hands are beaten by other rolled hands about 10% of the time. I do agree that this isn't so significant that a drastically different way of playing is warranted based upon this reason. I think the more important reason to slowplay big rolled hands is to not scare away smaller pairs and to encourage them to hit their two pair or lower trips.

Andy B
08-24-2005, 02:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My rolled hands are beaten by other rolled hands about 10% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems improbably high.

Twice have I been rolled-up on the same hand that someone else was rolled-up on. One time we both lost to a flush (actually the guy with QQQ folded for one more bet on the end in a huge pot against a borderline maniac). The other time I made 2222 on fourth against rolled Kings. That was a pretty nice pot. I think we went seven bets on sixth and three more on the river. Too bad he didn't hit the case King.

These people with smaller pairs call anyway, so why not just raise right away?

SittingBull
08-24-2005, 02:43 AM
1/4 no-ante spread.
I blew the jackpot for 4.00. I definitely blame myself.
That's the reason Y I check a locked jackpot hand --even on 6th. Even if there is a very small chance my oppo. would fold on 6th when there is a remote chance he MIGHT connect with a jackpot hand. Anyway, I read my Oppo. for quad's on 6th. I had a set of 2's. My Oppo. bet the MAX /images/graemlins/confused.gif
I folded. Dealer showed me what my next card would have been--another 2. /images/graemlins/blush.gif.
SittingBull

bigredlemon
08-24-2005, 02:45 AM
You're right... there was a typo in there that I missed. I meant to say:
My rolled hands are beaten by other pairs that hit trips about 10% of the time.

Michael Emery
08-24-2005, 02:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Kammen’s recommended buy-in for $2/4 is at least $40. I’ll let others elaborate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some people are just that good. I know I've never been stuck 10 big bets in stud before. You guys that think this is silly advice are probably just fish.

[ QUOTE ]
Twice have I been rolled-up on the same hand that someone else was rolled-up on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn you're lucky. I have been in this situation over 20 times at least and it always seems like I'm rolled lower or get caught. I recall losing a huge 20-40 pot last year on party where I had rolled aces, someone had rolled queens, and there was a guy who on fourth who had (78)9 K, and caught us both with a rivered strait. It was capped the whole way aside from when I got raised on the river by that rat. I think I even made a post about that and asked Andy to do the math for rolled versus rolled in the same hand. I believe he calculated it was 27K-1 or so. Anyway, from Andys analysis it dosent appear I'll be getting this book anytime soon.

Mike Emery

sexdrugsmoney
08-24-2005, 04:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Some people are just that good. I know I've never been stuck 10 big bets in stud before. You guys that think this is silly advice are probably just fish.

Mike Emery

[/ QUOTE ]

Very funny. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

fnord_too
08-24-2005, 10:04 AM
Good lord man, I only made it through a fraction of this post, but here is my comment:

You should have said something along the lines of "... now having read it, I can with clear conscience say this book blows." and spent the rest of the time you took to compose this working on your book!

jon_1van
08-24-2005, 11:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Kammen says never to raise with three to a flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

Beermoney plays 3-flushes the same way.

BeerMoney
08-24-2005, 11:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Damn you're lucky. I have been in this situation over 20 times at least and it always seems like I'm rolled lower or get caught. I recall losing a huge 20-40 pot last year on party where I had rolled aces, someone had rolled queens, and there was a guy who on fourth who had (78)9 K, and caught us both with a rivered strait. It was capped the whole way aside from when I got raised on the river by that rat. I think I even made a post about that and asked Andy to do the math for rolled versus rolled in the same hand. I believe he calculated it was 27K-1 or so. Anyway, from Andys analysis it dosent appear I'll be getting this book anytime soon.

Mike Emery

[/ QUOTE ]

Just another bad beat story from Mike Emery. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mike, If you're already rolled, the chances someone else is are close to 1/425.

The chances of two rolled hands at the same time is close to (1/425)*(1/425).

In all seriousness, did you throw up after that hand?

The thing that Sara has made me realize is just how important ante structure is. Based on this, I don't think any book really does justice to the topic. In 7CSFAP, they talk about a 5/10 game with a $1 BI, and a 10/20 game with a $2 BI. These are both quite different from what is currently played.

The bottom line:

Andy needs to write a book... Maybe iamastud will let you consult with him.

MRBAA
08-24-2005, 11:38 AM
Kammen's book is very bad. To even mention it as comparable to West's is a joke. Kammen has NOT played much -- he wrote the book while studying to become a priest. I assume he now is a priest, and can't play at all.

PoorLawyer
08-24-2005, 04:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Kammen's book is very bad. To even mention it as comparable to West's is a joke. Kammen has NOT played much -- he wrote the book while studying to become a priest. I assume he now is a priest, and can't play at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't he make a post a couple months ago asking some questions because he was writing a new book? I did a search and couldnt find anything though I definitely remember it...

Good book report. I would have just watched the movie...

Hamlet
08-24-2005, 05:31 PM
Do you really think raising is all that bad? Granted, no one is going to fold, and your hand doesn't play very well in a multi-way pot. But as long as it's live and I'm playing against very loose opponents who are likely to come in with very trashy hands, I like to raise. Granted, I mainly raise so I can justify my bad calls later because I've made the pot too big to fold /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I think there are a couple of key questions:

1. Do these people ever limp with big pairs?
2. Do these people have even a semblance of hand selection?

If the answer to these questions are both no, I can't keep myself from raising.

[ QUOTE ]

A third-street scenario: low card brings it in for $1, three players call and two fold. You have (JJ)4. The guy behind you has a Ten in the door, and there is only the bring-in after him. The limpers have two Queens and a King. Kammen has you raise here, saying that you want to get the guys behind you out. I consider myself to be a pretty aggressive player, especially when playing $2/4 while quaffing bloody maries. I think that calling in this spot is far superior to raising. Your raise isn’t going to get out too many people who weren’t folding anyway. There just isn’t that big of a difference between calling $1 and $2. Maybe the bring-in will fold for the extra $1, but if his hand is that poor, he’ll probably fold to a bet on fourth street. You’re not going to get the big cards to fold for another dollar, and any one of them could hit on fourth street. I think you’re much better off limping and then hoping to get a raise in if things fall good on fourth street.

[/ QUOTE ]

EightStuda
08-24-2005, 06:04 PM
When's your book comming out AndyB? I can't wait to go through it with a fine toothed comb.

-Dimitri

Andy B
08-24-2005, 09:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you really think raising is all that bad?

[/ QUOTE ]

It isn't all that bad, certainly not as bad as most of the other stuff I cited. But it is suboptimal, in my estimation. Since he advocates just calling in a lot of other spots, it does strike me as inconsistent.

[ QUOTE ]
Granted, I mainly raise so I can justify my bad calls later because I've made the pot too big to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's as good a reason as any.

[ QUOTE ]
1. Do these people ever limp with big pairs?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think I've encountered more than a few hundred low-limit stud players who limp with big pairs.

[ QUOTE ]
2. Do these people have even a semblance of hand selection?

[/ QUOTE ]

Who needs hand selection when you have a face card in the door?

[ QUOTE ]
If the answer to these questions are both no, I can't keep myself from raising.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're up for the year, and I'm not, so I can't argue with you.

Andy B
08-24-2005, 09:18 PM
Yeah, I'm really eager for that too.

BeerMoney
08-24-2005, 10:58 PM
Andy, awesome post. Can I buy you a beer again soon?

Andy B
08-25-2005, 12:42 AM
Why sure. Perhaps a Guinness this time. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm about 85% sure I'll be heading east for Christmas. It will probably be at my sister's place in CT, in which case I would probably spend a day or three at Foxwoods, playing somewhere between $1-3 and $75/150, possibly both. Hey, that would be a good opportunity to play in an over-ante spread-limit game for this alleged book.

If it's not at Debbie's, it'll be at my parents', in which case I'll have even more incentive to head out and gamble, and they're near AC. I liked the Trop and the Borgata (especially the waitresses at the Borgata). Again, it might be $1-5 stud or $80/160 HE, depending on how things go between now and then.

In any case, I'll be bringing the laptop along, and hopefully get serious about writing if I haven't before then. Right now, I'm under a certain amount of pressure to work overtime, both from my employer and my creditors, so it's kind of on the back burner.

mike4bmp
08-25-2005, 04:56 AM
jesus...are there any good stud books out there besides Zee's? What about Chip Reese's section in Super System..that should be worth a mention here by someone..

bigredlemon
08-25-2005, 06:27 AM
Almost everyone here thinks CR's section in SS1 is excellent

PoorLawyer
08-25-2005, 11:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Why sure. Perhaps a Guinness this time. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm about 85% sure I'll be heading east for Christmas. It will probably be at my sister's place in CT, in which case I would probably spend a day or three at Foxwoods, playing somewhere between $1-3 and $75/150, possibly both. Hey, that would be a good opportunity to play in an over-ante spread-limit game for this alleged book.

If it's not at Debbie's, it'll be at my parents', in which case I'll have even more incentive to head out and gamble, and they're near AC. I liked the Trop and the Borgata (especially the waitresses at the Borgata). Again, it might be $1-5 stud or $80/160 HE, depending on how things go between now and then.

In any case, I'll be bringing the laptop along, and hopefully get serious about writing if I haven't before then. Right now, I'm under a certain amount of pressure to work overtime, both from my employer and my creditors, so it's kind of on the back burner.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would love to play a little drunk 1-5 spread limit with the infamous (more than famous) AndyB in AC

Hamlet
08-25-2005, 02:55 PM
I looked at my numbers for the year just recently. I'd be up a lot more if I never played live /images/graemlins/blush.gif

My being up for the year has a lot to do with my discovering www.bonuswhores.com. (http://www.bonuswhores.com.) Absolute poker has basically unlimited bonuses that pay $10/100 raked hands. I question whether they even make money in their average 2-4 HE game, since they pay out .90 for each raked hand and they have to reach $20 to rake a whole dollar. They lose money on all the pots from $5-19 dollars. So my being up for the year really just means I can beat an essentially rake free online 2-4 HE game.

I've blown about half of those winnings for the year drinking and gambling live at Canterbury.

[ QUOTE ]
You're up for the year, and I'm not, so I can't argue with you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Andy B
08-25-2005, 08:00 PM
Drinking and gambling at Canterbury may not be +EV, but it sure is fun.

Andy B
08-25-2005, 08:02 PM
Reese's section of S/S is excellent, way too good to be mentioned in this thread.

Paul77
08-28-2005, 02:56 AM
Hi there,

Well, a few comments on Kammen's book, and seing how as I'm the author I thought I'd post a few /images/graemlins/blush.gif) These quotes are from Andy's posts...

Does anyone, and I mean anyone, play this tight? In good low-limit games, I’m around 25%, and in tough games, I’m probably around 18%. Seems to me that anyone playing 10% of his hands is going to go like Broomcorn’s uncle.

Yes, that is slightly tight, especially for Canterbury's High-ante games, but for a low ante structure game or spread-limit game with no ante, it's not overly tight.

Canterbury’s $2/4 game has a $.50 ante and $1 bring-in, and that is the model that Kammen uses for his discussion. I think that Canterbury’s $3/6 game, with the same ante and bring-in, would have been a better model.

Maybe, unfortunately this game never goes off. $4/8 does on Tuesdays, but for stud 2/4 is about it.

I wonder what he means by “a few.” I don’t know how many times I’ve been rolled-up, but it’s at least 100, which is more than a few. I wonder just how much this guy has actually played.

More than a few, but it's very rare. I play about 10 hours per week on PokerStars and Canterbury. Last time I was rolled up was Sunday night in a Satellite, unfortunately it was with rolled up 9s and my opponent had rolled up queens. Bummer.

Kammen says that your default play should be to slow-play big full houses or better on fifth. I think that this is a mistake in most low-limit games.

If the game is loose, certainly play it hard, but I'd rather play it loose-passive and call and hope players hit the flush or straight to extract more money from them.

Paul77
08-28-2005, 03:02 AM

Well, that's news to me, I actually play daily. Look me up on PokerStars or say hi to me at Canterbury Park.

Priests can play cards. One finished 12th in the 2000 WSOP actually. I enjoy poker and want to work on improving my game, but am a low stakes player who won't be moving up. I've seen success at low stakes stud, which is why I decided to write a book on the topic. Sorry you didn't care for it. It's a bit basic, and geared for the newer players.

Paul77
08-28-2005, 03:12 AM
Ok, just a few more comments...

Kammen says never to raise with three to a flush. I won’t expound on why I disagree with this here, but I’m guessing that most of you are in my camp anyway.

On a draw, I'd rather keep players in, and also limp to see what fourth street brings rather than raise. I'd only raise if I thought I could steal the antes with a big card showing, or consider a raise if I had three big cards for my three-flush.

A third-street scenario: low card brings it in for $1, three players call and two fold. You have (JJ)4. The guy behind you has a Ten in the door, and there is only the bring-in after him. The limpers have two Queens and a King. Kammen has you raise here, saying that you want to get the guys behind you out. I consider myself to be a pretty aggressive player, especially when playing $2/4 while quaffing bloody maries. I think that calling in this spot is far superior to raising.

I disagree. Yeah, most of the time they will just call the extra buck. But it's worth a shot. If you bet again on fourth, they'll remember you raised on third and put you on a big pocket pair.

He recommends that if you have a medium pair on third street and haven’t been paying attention, so that you don’t know what the folded cards are, you just fold. I think in that situation you just have to treat the unseen cards as unseen cards. Then again, I don’t watch TV while the cards are being dealt. The cocktail waitresses are another matter.

Rock on. I guess if I was distracted and just had a middle pair, not seeing any of the upcards, I wouldn't want to risk it.

The other is more general. I think low-limit stud players usually leave money on the table by slow-playing rolled-up trips. The main reason to slow-play anything is to encourage action where you would not otherwise have gotten any. Think of the times in a low-limit game where you folded for half-an-hour, raised with an Ace in the door, and got six callers. Is there any reason to slow-play in a game like that?

I actually agree with your criticism here, and tend to play even big rolled up trips aggressively; with the loose nature of most low stakes games, you will get the callers. The book was written 3 years ago, and I'd change that if I were writing it again.

Andy B
08-28-2005, 11:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Kammen says that your default play should be to slow-play big full houses or better on fifth. I think that this is a mistake in most low-limit games.

If the game is loose, certainly play it hard, but I'd rather play it loose-passive and call and hope players hit the flush or straight to extract more money from them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most low-limit players won't fold a straight or flush draw no matter how hard you play your full house.

Andy B
08-28-2005, 11:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]

On a draw, I'd rather keep players in, and also limp to see what fourth street brings rather than raise. I'd only raise if I thought I could steal the antes with a big card showing, or consider a raise if I had three big cards for my three-flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think an Ace or a couple of face cards is plenty, and perhaps not even necessary. Here is a scenario in Sklansky's tournament book, in circumstances where you would play similarly to a cash game: low card brings it in, a Queen makes it a full bet, and four players call. You have 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif T/images/graemlins/spade.gif with Nines and Sevens live and one spade gone. Sklansky has you raise for value. Now if this is the proper play on a tough tournament table where your secondary possibilities are a bit dubious (I wouldn't be overly excited about picking up a gut-shot myself), it's certainly a proper play in a loose low-limit game where the other players' calling standards aren't going to be nearly so high. If four people limp and you have (A/images/graemlins/heart.gif J/images/graemlins/heart.gif) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif with one heart gone and your big cards live, it is well worth a raise. Assuming the bring-in folds, you will be putting in 20% of the money, and your equity is very likely to be much higher than that. If you're risk-averse and don't like putting in a lot of money early, fine. Just realize that you're not playing optimally.

Andy B
08-28-2005, 12:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Canterbury’s $2/4 game has a $.50 ante and $1 bring-in, and that is the model that Kammen uses for his discussion. I think that Canterbury’s $3/6 game, with the same ante and bring-in, would have been a better model.

Maybe, unfortunately this game never goes off. $4/8 does on Tuesdays, but for stud 2/4 is about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

At the point at which you wrote your book, I think CP's $3/6 game went off several times a week. In the $2/4 game, the ante is too high and the bring-in is too high (not to mention the rake and the jackpot drop). I am not aware of another B&M $2/4 game anywhere. It is a common limit on-line, but I believe all sites that offer it have a $.25 ante. So you chose as your basic model a game that has one table going in the entire world, maybe two at the time you wrote your book.

Lots of games are structured like CP's $3/6 game, including Party's $3/6 game, Paradise's $6/12 game, the $6/12 games in Arizona (I'm reasonably sure about this one), and all $30/60 games. Other common limits are pretty close to this, such as $15/30 and $75/150.

Why Canterbury and the poker sites use a half-bet bring-in I'll never know. If you have a limit where a 1/3-bet bring-in is inconvenient, such as $20/40, the bring-in should be slightly lower. The $5 bring-in encourages action in two ways. It encourages limping, because $5 is pretty cheap relative to the future bets, and it encourages early raises, because the difference between calling $5 and $20 is pretty significant. If the bring-in were $10, there wouldn't be all that much difference between the hands I'd play for the bring-in and the hands I'd play for a full bet.

Anyway, I think that $3/6 is a better model, because it's structured like a real stud game, and you can make adjustments relative to that baseline as appropriate to the structure of your preferred game.

$4/8 stud also usually goes on Fridays, and I played in it Friday night. The stud jackpot was over $13k, and according to one of the players, it had been going every day last week because the jackpot was so high.