PDA

View Full Version : Milton Bradley and Jeff Kent

andyfox
08-24-2005, 01:15 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2141482

Kent, of course, also had problems with Barry Bonds in San Francisco. I know a lot of people think Bonds is a jerk, and ditto for Bradley. But Kent hasn't exactly made friends everywhere he's been either.

What a mess the Dodgers are.

Wes ManTooth
08-24-2005, 10:54 AM
another reason to hate MLB

JayLear
08-24-2005, 11:34 AM
Based on the history of these two knuckleheads, I'm just surprised it took this long for them to clash in public.

Edge34
08-24-2005, 12:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That's why there's less than 9 percent African-American representation in the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep Milton, its whitey holding you down. Oh, but wait, what about all the Latino players and the rising Asian population in baseball...that's right...

[ QUOTE ]
It may be funny to him, but it's not funny to Milton Bradley.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sir, you are not nearly popular enough or good enough to talk about yourself in the third person. Tool.

[ QUOTE ]
And that's a shame," Kent said. "If you think that I've got a problem with African-Americans, then go talk to Dusty Baker. Go talk to Dave Winfield, who took me under his wing. Go talk to Joe Carter -- all the guys that I idolized in this game and all the veteran players who taught me how to play this game.

"That's a shame, and I take offense to that. That's just absolutely pathetic if it comes from his mouth."

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not going to say I know Jeff Kent is either a good guy or a bad guy, but having problems with Barry Bonds hasn't been just something white guys have. Milton Bradley is going to come out and play the race card in baseball and personally accuse Kent of being racist? Classless. Take care of it in the locker room...oh wait, then Milton Bradley couldn't get Milton Bradley more time on TV.

Boris
08-24-2005, 12:07 PM
A-hole vs. A-hole.

Voltron87
08-24-2005, 12:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bradley accused the media of coming to his locker first Tuesday because he is black.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
"The problem is, he doesn't know how to deal with African-American people," Bradley said. "I think that's what's causing everything.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
It may be funny to him, but it's not funny to Milton Bradley.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow. the third person too?

Matt Williams
08-24-2005, 12:58 PM
When Matt Williams was playing, Matt Williams never had problems with blacks and other minorities, but Matt Williams had problems with people who spoke in the third person. Matt Williams hated that.

andyfox
08-24-2005, 12:59 PM
Does't what Kent said, though, sould like the stereotypical "some of my best friends are black" defense?

The Armchair
08-24-2005, 01:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Does't what Kent said, though, sould like the stereotypical "some of my best friends are black" defense?

[/ QUOTE ]

There's nothing wrong with that defense. History has blurred its true meaning.

In the era of MLK, many of his opponents would state that some of their best friends were black, but they didn't mean the guys with whom they played golf or worked. These bigots were referring to their butlers, shoeshiners, etc. -- people whom they had no problem giving tasks to. The quote greatly stretches the term "best friends," making the whole statement an outright lie.

But when it's true, it's a sound defense. Bradley claimed that Kent couldn't relate to African-Americans. Kent is claiming (I assume honestly) that he is friends with many blacks. How is that anything other than a legitimate counter-argument?

Matt Williams
08-24-2005, 01:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There's nothing wrong with that defense. History has blurred its true meaning.

In the era of MLK, many of his opponents would state that some of their best friends were black, but they didn't mean the guys with whom they played golf or worked. These bigots were referring to their butlers, shoeshiners, etc. -- people whom they had no problem giving tasks to. The quote greatly stretches the term "best friends," making the whole statement an outright lie.

But when it's true, it's a sound defense. Bradley claimed that Kent couldn't relate to African-Americans. Kent is claiming (I assume honestly) that he is friends with many blacks. How is that anything other than a legitimate counter-argument?

[/ QUOTE ]

I see your point, but if what Kent is saying is true, he doesn't have to say anything. His black friends would stand up for him and say that what Bradley is saying is a lie. I can give an example. I used to be a manager at a restaurant and one day this girl who had just started accused me of sexually harassing her. Before I even had a chance to speak up and defend myself, 4 women that I work for spoke up and defended me. That's what friends do. I don't see any of Kent's "friends" standing up for him.
On the other hand, Bradley is delusional. Does he honestly think that reporters don't talk to him because he's black? If I were a reporter, I would go to where the story is, not to the white guys.

imported_The Vibesman
08-24-2005, 01:54 PM
Kent is obviously lying. Dude don't have no friends.

Bradley's a jerk too, although I have heard that he is really nice to fans, especially kids.

Both guys should just STFU, they're both very talented ballplayers and would probably be among the most popular in the game if they didn't constantly show what idiots they are by talking.

B Dids
08-24-2005, 10:52 PM
Bradley seems like an idiot, but it's just really easy to buy Kent is a pretty stereotypically ignorant cracker assed cracker.

Boris
08-25-2005, 12:48 AM
Lost in all of this was Bradley's comment about only 9% of baseball players being Black-American. I saw the same stat in the Wall Street Journal. One of the reasons given was that Black-Americans athletes look at baseball as a white man's sport. This, IMO, is a cause for concern. One would hope that blacks would feel more and more a part of the American culture as time distanced ourselves from blatantly racist institutions of the past.

I have no idea if Jeff Kent is partly responsible making blacks feel unwelcome. I've he is a bad team mate though.

holeplug
08-25-2005, 02:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A-hole vs. A-hole.

[/ QUOTE ]

nothumb
08-25-2005, 03:01 AM
I know a lot of kids in placement who like to say that certain staff don't know how to relate to black people. Needless to say this is always said about a white staff. Sometimes it's true - people don't pick up on particular ways of speaking, mannerisms, etc that are considered much more disrespectful among blacks.

Other times it's just a kid who has no social skills making excuses and refusing to grow up and adapt himself.

I'm thinking there's a good bit of both coming from Milton Bradley.

NT