PDA

View Full Version : Google Talk

scotty34
08-24-2005, 12:24 AM
Google Talk (http://www.google.com/talk/)

Google's brand new instant messaging service. You need a gmail account to use it. The "call" feature is incredible, it actually sounds like the person is right beside you. Knowing Google, this is going to become the industry standard.

scotty34
08-24-2005, 12:32 AM
btw, it came out about 45 mins ago, so I don't expect many will be using it at this point

send_the_msg
08-24-2005, 12:35 AM
looks nice, i'm in. hope the clients good cause aim/gaim/trillian are retarded.

Soul Daddy
08-24-2005, 12:40 AM
Do I need to uninstall Gmail notifier when it prompts me to?

Nathan183
08-24-2005, 12:41 AM
I think the implications of this are huge. If this catches on, it could easily replace all other instant messengers (and long distance phone calls). It won't be easy, but if anyone can pull it off, it's Google.

Right now it seems to be lacking features, but I'm sure they will add stuff like file sharing and video support (and hopeuflly NOT things like winks, sounds, ads, animations and all that extra crap that the other big IM clients have).

scotty34
08-24-2005, 12:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not sure, I never received that prompt.

Nathan183
08-24-2005, 12:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not sure, I never received that prompt.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you have to, but it performs all of the functions that Gmail notifier does, so having both is pretty redundant. Also, the recently released Google Desktop is great for keeping track of your Gmail as well.

scotty34
08-24-2005, 12:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the implications of this are huge. If this catches on, it could easily replace all other instant messengers (and long distance phone calls). It won't be easy, but if anyone can pull it off, it's Google.

Right now it seems to be lacking features, but I'm sure they will add stuff like file sharing and video support (and hopeuflly NOT things like winks, sounds, ads, animations and all that extra crap that the other big IM clients have).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this is just the beta version right now. It's simple and nice, but you are right, it is lacking many features. Google tends to update its products VERY often, so I'm sure we will see plenty of additions in the near future.

I also agree about the call feature. I'm still sort of curious as to how it will work though. I only have one other person on my list currently. I don't know how or if multiple calls will work. But for simply chatting with a friend, I would by FAR prefer the call feature than typing. Easier on the wrists, much faster, more to the point, and stupid things like adding lol after every 5th word won't happen any more.

Google also says it will be providing cross IM communication at some point.

Voltron87
08-24-2005, 12:52 AM
so what type of contacts do i add? gmail accounts? aim things?

scotty34
08-24-2005, 12:53 AM
gmail accounts, and apparently in the future you will be able to add contacts from other IM services.

Nathan183
08-24-2005, 12:56 AM
Another thought. Since Gmail has been in beta for around a year now, shouldn't they just open it up to the public?

I mean, they pretty much give out unlimited invitations now, why not just drop the "beta" title and get rid of the invitation process.

I'm assuming there is some sort of business/legal advantage to staying in beta testing?

scotty34
08-24-2005, 12:58 AM
I would think one advantage of the invitation process is to eliminate bots from creating a million addresses and spamming everyone. At least it makes it more difficult for them to do so.

Voltron87
08-24-2005, 01:03 AM
im thompson.cpt, someone add me and talk to me on it, so far i dont have anyone

i want to feel what its like to get one channel of tv

Al P
08-24-2005, 01:07 AM
Is the search box all messed up? I can't even see the cursor or what I type in there.

Seems like it doesn't like copy & paste into there. Also seems like it only searches existing contacts.

Nathan183
08-24-2005, 01:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Is the search box all messed up? I can't even see the cursor or what I type in there.

Seems like it doesn't like copy & paste into there. Also seems like it only searches existing contacts.

[/ QUOTE ]

It works fine for me, I can see the cursor, and no problems with copy & paste.

It searches existing Talk and Gmail contacts, as well as any pending invites.

Voltron87
08-24-2005, 01:15 AM
haha i found someone i actually know

THIS IS SO MUCH BETTER THAN A PHONE CALL ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY

scotty34
08-24-2005, 01:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
haha i found someone i actually know

THIS IS SO MUCH BETTER THAN A PHONE CALL ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY

[/ QUOTE ]

and infinitely better than typing out your conversations

TheCroShow
08-24-2005, 06:40 AM
what's the call feature all about? add me to your list my 2p2 display name at gmail dot com! i wanna check this [censored] out

*edit* oh uh...no voice chatting with strangers...just wanna check out the other stuff. lol

jakethebake
08-24-2005, 08:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Google Talk (http://www.google.com/talk/)

Google's brand new instant messaging service. You need a gmail account to use it. The "call" feature is incredible, it actually sounds like the person is right beside you. Knowing Google, this is going to become the industry standard.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had no idea Google had this out. I did install their new Sidebar feature yesterday and it will be a mainstay for me.

Matty
08-24-2005, 08:51 AM
hmmm someone add me. I'm not positive I'm doing this correctly.

bopunto @ gmail