PDA

View Full Version : 99 pre flop quiz

Saint_D
08-23-2005, 11:09 PM
I want to talk about 99. Eeega points out that it's soaking in cool aid. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=3219704&page=0&view=c ollapsed&sb=5&o=14&vc=1) 'Round here That's a raising hand PF. TT is a big winner for me. 99, er, not so much.

So it's quiz time. You have 99 pre flop. The table is 1/2 party. You have 40/1/1 calling station on MP3 and 20/10/5 ABC player on CO. No one else is notable.

<ul type="square"> 1. You are UTG raise/check/fold?
2. 1 limp, 1 fold and you are MP1 raise/check/fold?
3. Folded to MP2 who limps, 1 folds, Hero (hijack) raise/check/fold?
5. Folded to MP2 who Raises, on fold, Hero (hijack) raise/check/fold?
6. 3 limpers, Hero is the button. MP3 is in, CO is out. raise/check/fold?
7. Folded to CO who Bets, button folds to Hero in the SB. raise/check/fold?
8. Raised by MP3, hijack folds, CO re-raise, folded to Hero in the BB.
9. 5 limpers to hero in the SB.
10. UTG raises and 3 people call 2 cold. Hero in the BB.
[/list]

I really want to see the reasons for your answers, where you think it's close and what your plan for the hand is.

-D

Marquis
08-23-2005, 11:16 PM
My PFR% with 99 at .5/1 full was 45%. I think auto-raising it preflop is stupid.

Sorry, too drunk for a quiz.

tiltaholic
08-23-2005, 11:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So it's quiz time. You have 99 pre flop. The table is 1/2 party. You have 40/1/1 calling station on MP3 and 20/10/5 ABC player on CO. No one else is notable.

1. You are UTG raise/check/fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

raise. not close.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

raise. not close.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

raise. not close.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

no read on MP2? if he is thought to be solid, i fold.
i probably fold as default. if he sucks, i might 3-bet, but he'd really have to suck. if you meant MP3, i probably muck it.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

raise! not close.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

he limps? i raise.
he raises? i 3-bet.
99 HU is goot.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

fold. too much action for 99.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

raise. hit a set. win a big pot.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

call. again, flop a set. great relative postion to raiser.

Vote4Pedro
08-23-2005, 11:18 PM
1) Raise
2) Raise
3) Raise
4) Raise
5) Raise
6) Raise
7) Call/Fold
8) Call/Raise
9) Call

benkath1
08-23-2005, 11:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1. You are UTG raise/check/fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

raise

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

open fold from any position.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Raise. 99 with position is fun.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

no thanks. oop 99 is no fun.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This one I don't like. I might just complete to see a flop. Nobody's going anywhere, of course building a nice pot for your flopped set is not a bad idea. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

call

VoraciousReader
08-24-2005, 12:35 AM
This is interesting. I have trouble with 99 too. I'm probably playing it poorly. I hope that I will get lots of instructive flames. Here goes:

1) Raise. I hate doing it. But I raise it. (OK, I admit it, sometimes I limp this UTG. I know I shouldn't. But I do. I hate playing this first to act. But in theory, if I'm playing as I should, I raise.) See what develops. I bet almost any flop if I'm not reraised pre-flop.

2) Raise. See above.

3) Raise. Looks like we may be shorthanded this time, and I want to help that along if I can, I'm hoping (not expecting, but I'll be very happy if I can) to buy the Button and fold out at least one blind. I also want to establish that I am the player to beat in this hand. My plan is to bet the flop if it's checked to me. If somebody bets the flop, I'll raise an undercard flop, or a flop with just one overcard. Otherwise, barring other improvements or draws, I'll fold to a bet. If I happen to get this HU I'll be a more aggressive.

5) (No 4? okay, going with it.) Raise. Even better chance of buying the button and going HU.

6) Call. We're going to be 4-6 to the flop, and I want it to hit me. I have position and can bet in the event the flop is checked through or is all undercards (although I'd check through some scarier flops and see a free turn). Otherwise, I'm folding the flop UI. There are too many people...somebody's got a piece of it.

7)Raise. I want to face BB with 2 bets and get this heads up. If I'm not 3-bet, I bet and bet and bet until CO plays back or folds. Barring a board that probably hit CO over the head, I'm planning to see a SD.

8) I fold this. If CO is ABC, he's probably 3-betting AA,KK,QQ,JJ, and AK. We're 50/50 with AK and way-behind everything else. It's not a good use of my 1BB.

9)Call. Hit my set on the flop. Bet, 3-bet, etc. That's the plan, anyway. Fold otherwise.

10)Call. Barring the set, I'll check-raise a bet from UTG if the flop looks like it missed him (facing the field with 2 bets and folding to a reraise) or if there's only one overcard to my nines. Unless I have an overpair, set or have otherwise improved, I fold to a bet from anyone other than UTG.

Eeegah
08-24-2005, 01:00 AM
1. Raise and flop quads
2. Raise and flop quads
3. Raise and flop quads
4. There is no question 4 but I'm raising and flopping quads anyway
5. Eh, I think I'd fold here and flop quads anyway
6. Call and flop quads
7. Reraise, call a cap, and flop quads
8. Call as a slowplay, then flop quads
9. Tough since we're out of position for the rest of the hand, but I still like raising here and flopping quads.
10. Close between reraising and flopping quads or just calling and flopping quads, but I'm slightly inclined towards the former.

Seriously, <font color="green">99</font> is a fine hand which is way up in my top ten hands. I'll raise <font color="green">99</font> in any position.

Harv72b
08-24-2005, 01:25 AM
1) Raise. I do sometimes limp with it from UTG, but that's a change-of-pace more than anything else. It's just too good a hand not to raise with, especially if a raise will narrow the field somewhat.
2) Raise. I'm almost certainly ahead of the limper, and I want to cut down on the number of people limping behind me.
3) Raise for the same reasons.
4) Mysteriously absent from your quiz. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif
5) Unless MP2 is the biggest rock this side of Gibraltar, I'm 3-betting. 99 is a helluva lot better than the typical openraising hand from MP2, and one more time--I don't want overcallers.
6) Limp. This is one of those cases where I'm not going to narrow the field, so I need to play either for a safe board or a set. As such, I do not believe I have equity to raise with, so I don't mind the blinds coming along and adding to the pot for when I am good.
7) I assume you mean CO openraised? Easy 3-bet, 100% of the time. I'm probably better than CO's opening hand, and I don't want the BB coming along.
8) Fold due to reads--MP3 only raising 1% of his hands + an ABC player 3-betting him means my nines are no good. Against unknowns, I will usually just call the 3-bet and play from there.
9) Complete. Same scenario as #6.
10) Call and lead any safe flop (by "safe" I mean any flop which does not include an A or a K &amp; Q, unless of course it also includes a 9). I'm obviously hoping that UTG will autoraise and narrow the field on the flop, hopefully getting HU against him.

Saint_D
08-24-2005, 01:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
. Eh, I think I'd fold here and flop quads anyway

[/ QUOTE ]

I JUST did this with 33. 13/2/2 UTG limps, folded to me in hijack, I fold... Flop 33A.

What about the times you don't flops quads E? Seriously, do you raise this that much, or are you on a comic rampage?

Oh, I have 99 on the button in my game now!

Party Poker 0.50/1.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(10 handed)</font> link (http://www.darksun.lunarpages.com/poker/)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG+2 checks, MP2 checks, MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 calls.

Turn: (6.25 BB) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
MP2 checks, MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls.

River: (9.25 BB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
MP2 checks, MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 folds.

Final Pot: 11.25 BB.

Guess I can't flop quads like you do Eega. Dang.

Eeegah
08-24-2005, 01:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What about the times you don't flops quads E? Seriously, do you raise this that much, or are you on a comic rampage?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll occasionally just flop a set with <font color="green">99</font> and then catch running nines for quints to mix it up, but flopping quads is par for the course.

But yeah, I play <font color="green">99</font> very aggro preflop.

Rev. Good Will
08-24-2005, 01:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I want to talk about 99. Eeega points out that it's soaking in cool aid. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Number=3219704&amp;page=0&amp;view=c ollapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=14&amp;vc=1) 'Round here That's a raising hand PF. TT is a big winner for me. 99, er, not so much.

<ul type="square"> 1. You are UTG raise/check/fold?
[/list]

I really want to see the reasons for your answers, where you think it's close and what your plan for the hand is.

-D

[/ QUOTE ]
1 - raise
2 - raose
3 - raise
4 - you skipped this #
5 - in most cases raise
6 - raise
7 - call if is the stealing type, and C/R almost all flops
if not the case, then 3-bet mofo!
8 - /images/graemlins/confused.gif mp3=hijack, no? w/e, call and see response by hija...erm, mp3
9 - raise, you wuss!
10 - I would call... but i really want to raise insteadd

-drunk RGW

ECDIT - CO is an ABC TAG, so I'd just call, and C/R most flops (non-ace)

08-24-2005, 01:47 AM
1.) Raise. Shows more strength, and 99 is still a solid PP.
2.) Same, raise. UTG limp means not much, calling station will give you good money and ABC player will consider your raise seriously.
3.) Reads on MP2? It depends on what I see from him, but I'd say raise here too.

Four doesn't exist. Where did he go?

5.) Again, reads? I'm thinking call, 99 is not a 3-bet hand IMO.
6.) Raise, no questions asked. You do play the flop with caution, however--if it shows draws and you don't land your set, proceed carefully.
7.) Call. CO is first in the pot but gets better position. You want to see this flop before putting more money in.
8.) Fold. Like I said, 99 is not a 3-betting hand IMO. Also, CO is an ABC player with position on you.
9.) I'm torn between raising and folding here. Raising knocks limpers out and improves your chances here, but folding avoids the situation altogether. Maybe a call? This one has me confused.
10.) Fold. Calling an UTG raise has me pegging at least one of them on a tight range (any two J+, TT+) that has me beat. I'm sweating the PPs much more than J+, though--you KNOW you're not best PP in this hand.

08-24-2005, 01:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll occasionally just flop a set with <font color="green">99</font> and then catch running nines for quints to mix it up, but flopping quads is par for the course.

[/ QUOTE ]

Reply of the day, for comedic value. Can we get this man a certificate?

Bodhi
08-24-2005, 02:40 AM
Ok, I capitulate and agree that preflop isn't so interesting. I'm raising every unraised hand and can find a few more in the others. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Saint_D
08-24-2005, 06:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok, I capitulate and agree that preflop isn't so interesting. I'm raising every unraised hand and can find a few more in the others. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice summary. Thanks everyone for the input. Sorry about the missing #4. It's classified. Look for the 99 post flop quiz one day. I think that's where the real challenge lies.

-D

deception5
08-24-2005, 07:01 PM
1: Raise to narrow the field. I don't even mind cold callers.
2: Raise to isolate the weak limper and thin the field.
3. Even easier to raise.
5. I will fold if the raiser is extremely tight, but usually I'll 3-bet.
6. Raise. You have a big hand and the best position. Folding the blinds is always good too.
7. This one's a little tougher and it depends on how position aware CO is. A position aware player I would 3-bet easily. A non-position aware player I would consider calling and playing for set value even though it gives BB a huge discount.
8. I'm calling here. Going for a set or undercard flop though.
9. Raise for value.
10. Call and hope for a set. Great check/raising opportunity on the flop. Consider betting into UTG on an undercard flop.

08-24-2005, 07:06 PM
1. Call. I don't like a raise OOP and the whole table to act.
2. Raise. Slightly better position.
3. Raise. Maybe isolate MP2,keep CO from playing a speculative hand.
4. ?
5 Fold LP has ahand.
6. Raise. For value, we could have the best hand.
7. Raise. Possible steal attempt. This is a good hand to defend with.
8. Fold. Probably dominated.
9. Raise. For value.
10. Call. You are closing the action and have enough pot equity to call 2.

Now let's see how I did.