PDA

View Full Version : Renting an apartment as a poker player

Michael Davis
08-23-2005, 10:58 PM
Geormiet and I are looking for a nice apartment in LA. Both of us play poker. Last year we were graduate students. We don't want to tell the landlords we play poker, but we don't want to be disqualified either.

Our plan is just to say that I am a student making 15k and that he is a student/musician making 50k, and going from there.

Anyone have any advice for what our best plan of action is? Do we need to come with bank account statement; will account statements be enough to overcome any questions on the part of the landlord?

Thanks.

-Michael

swede123
08-23-2005, 11:02 PM
Every apartment I ever leased I was asked for paystubs for the past two months or so, so I would imagine you would a little bit extra support in terms of having extra savings, some evidence that your buddy is a (paid) musician etc. They may screw you over a bit by requiring a bigger deposit or something so be careful.

Swede

DavidC
08-23-2005, 11:05 PM
Tell him you're a pimp. Wear your bling. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Voltron87
08-23-2005, 11:06 PM
offer to pay the landlords well in advance with straight cash or a check.

RubberDucky
08-23-2005, 11:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
offer to pay the landlords well in advance with straight cash or a check.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dynasty
08-23-2005, 11:08 PM
A bank statement showing you have the funds for six months rent should be sufficient.

And, tell the truth. Lying only leads to the potential for more problems.

Voltron87
08-23-2005, 11:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A bank statement showing you have the funds for six months rent should be sufficient.

And, tell the truth. Lying only leads to the potential for more problems.

[/ QUOTE ]

dynasty is right.

whats wrong with telling the truth if you can prove you have the funds to be a good occupant?

slickpoppa
08-23-2005, 11:15 PM
Stop being a budget boy and pay it all up front

SomethingClever
08-23-2005, 11:16 PM
Why would you tell him you're only making 15k?

08-23-2005, 11:21 PM
I recommend searching for a privately owned rental.

Homeowners are typically much more receiptive to these types of arrangements and are often unable to resist advance payments (from the right people).

Present yourself well, be upfront about your activities and do not shy away from personal questions.

The last thing you want is for them to draw conclusions about your possible source of income (drug dealing).

sublime
08-23-2005, 11:24 PM
The last thing you want is for them to draw conclusions about your possible source of income (male prostotution).

clownshoes
08-23-2005, 11:26 PM
Im in the same boat. I just say Im in web design and they usually say oh ok thats cool, as long as you have good credit/references then we'll take your word for it. Havnt had any problems yet.

Michael Davis
08-23-2005, 11:28 PM
Because this is what I make as a student, and I have people in the department who will say I am still in school.

-Michael

jasonHoldEm
08-23-2005, 11:43 PM
If you pay cash up front be sure to ask for a discount, you can frequently get the equivalent of a free month or two. Also be sure to have a clause added to the lease to allow for a pro-rated refund in the event of the apartment becoming uninhabitable (i.e. someone burns the place down, flood, etc).

J

SomethingClever
08-23-2005, 11:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Because this is what I make as a student, and I have people in the department who will say I am still in school.

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

But why would you want him to think you have less money than you do?

Michael Davis
08-24-2005, 12:01 AM
"But why would you want him to think you have less money than you do?"

A fair question that I really can't answer. I guess because I don't want to explain why I have more money. Although I did inherit some money when my dad died, can I just tell them that, especially since it's true?

-Michael

08-24-2005, 12:05 AM
Where's geo ?

Rick Nebiolo
08-24-2005, 12:08 AM
This was something I always worried about. Fortunately, when buying homes or renting apartments, I was always in a period of employment.

I think Dynasty is right, show that you could pay several months rent in advance. It would help if you had money in the bank, I'm not sure a Neteller or Party Poker balance would impress.

Both you guys look like alter boys, and in looking at apartments I'd keep the real clean cut look (although maybe clean cut would make you weird in LA, if so consider the OC).

Two asides:

I thought you were going to Costa Rica.

How can you be designated "Pimp" by 2+2? What does it take to qualify?

~ Rick

SomethingClever
08-24-2005, 12:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"But why would you want him to think you have less money than you do?"

A fair question that I really can't answer. I guess because I don't want to explain why I have more money. Although I did inherit some money when my dad died, can I just tell them that, especially since it's true?

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

How about this. You don't have to tell him that you make [censored]-tons of money playing poker. You also don't have to lie and say you only make 15k per year.

Just arrange it so one of your bank accounts has a reasonable amount of money in it (say... 6 months rent), and show this to him. Tell him you're a student who works part time and has an inheritance. Or something.

Lestat
08-24-2005, 12:20 AM
I'm a poker player. I own apartments. I wouldn't rent to a poker player.

rusellmj
08-24-2005, 12:26 AM
I think if the subject of how you get your money is too vague, they'll either think deadbeat or drugs.

FatalError
08-24-2005, 12:35 AM
i got a 2600/mo apartment as a poker player all on my own, just tell them what you do

blatz
08-24-2005, 12:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm a poker player. I own apartments. I wouldn't rent to a poker player.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad my landlord isn't like you. As long as I let him sweat me in games (which I don't really care for) he'll never complain. Also he likes cash.

To the OP, what I did when I was younger was showed my bankbook and said I had a trust fund. It was far from true, but very believable, and I got a beautiful place in Tahoe with no job history. Landlords love trust fund babies.

andyfox
08-24-2005, 12:36 AM
Whatever you do, don't show the landlord your Vegas trip report.

Zeno
08-24-2005, 12:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone have any advice for what our best plan of action is?

[/ QUOTE ]

Blackmail.

Only a cad would frown on an ingenious blackmail scheme well executed.

-Zeno

Maulik
08-24-2005, 01:55 AM
just tell them you're a degenerate and offer for x months up front
then say 'holla'

ChipWrecked
08-24-2005, 02:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]

~ Rick

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you have to 'rub out' a few.

lastsamurai
08-24-2005, 03:50 AM
If you are going to lie tell them you own an ebay business....or a pimp

unglee
08-24-2005, 06:52 AM
I just got a place in LA off of westsiderentals, and it wasn't a problem. I think as long as your credit report is fine and you can show a bank statement with six months rent, you can find a reasonable place.

Smackdab
08-24-2005, 08:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you pay cash up front be sure to ask for a discount

[/ QUOTE ]

I have people ask me this all the time. The answer is always no discount. The people who want to pay up front are the people you are going to get rent from anyway.

If it's a case of paying up front to avoid employment, credit qualification checks. Obviously, again the answer is no discount. Rent PIA is a condition of their getting the apartment.

goofball
08-24-2005, 08:42 AM
I've now gotten two apartments in vegas with no job, both from big companies. The first one I just showed them my bank statement and my ameritrade account balance (but i think the former would have been sufficient). The second one wanted a copy of last year's tax returns. The first one I said I didn't have a job, I had just moved here (both of which were true). This second place I said I was self-employed (also true).

turnipmonster
08-24-2005, 10:27 AM
it's LA, lots of rich kids and trustafarians, landlords know this. just show them your account balance and tell them you came into some money last year.

--turnipmonster

Luke
08-24-2005, 11:10 AM
Tell him you're a poker player and then show him your Pokertracker database to prove that you're a winning player. You could also show him your exstensive library of 2+2 books and explain to him that you're serious about the game. Oh, and why not show him all your posts on the forum, then he'll have to trust that you're good for the money...

Or maybe you could just give him half a year to a year's rent and he won't give a crap what you do. Unless of course your opportunity cost for the money is really big, then you'll have to get creative.

Luke

scrub
08-24-2005, 11:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Geormiet and I are looking for a nice apartment in LA. Both of us play poker. Last year we were graduate students. We don't want to tell the landlords we play poker, but we don't want to be disqualified either.

Our plan is just to say that I am a student making 15k and that he is a student/musician making 50k, and going from there.

Anyone have any advice for what our best plan of action is? Do we need to come with bank account statement; will account statements be enough to overcome any questions on the part of the landlord?

Thanks.

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

As long as you have decent credit, a combination of cash on hand and a claim that you just left school and are "looking for work" should take care of it. Just pick the entry level job category that speaks to you.

If you have crappy credit, you may need a guarantor.

Under no circumstances should you tell them you're a pro poker player.

scrub

Timer
08-24-2005, 12:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think Dynasty is right, show that you could pay several months rent in advance. It would help if you had money in the bank, I'm not sure a Neteller or Party Poker balance would impress.

Both you guys look like alter boys, and in looking at apartments I'd keep the real clean cut look (although maybe clean cut would make you weird in LA, if so consider the OC).

[/ QUOTE ] All of this is nonsense. Landlords are going to want to see pay stubs, or income tax returns. Paying six months in advance won't help and they are going to do a credit check on ALL occupants of the apartment. In other words, both tennants will have to show PROOF of income. The lanlord tennant laws are so tough these days it's very hard to get someone evicted, and it takes a lot of time and expense, so they like to be sure they have good tennants in there in the first place. They want to be protected, and you can't blame them.

Anyone who got an apartment, especially in California, by any other means just got plain lucky. Being clean cut and acting nice and showing them your bank statement won't get the job done.

You've got to have the goods.

Rick Nebiolo
08-24-2005, 01:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume you meant you didn't like most of the advice, not only mine (BTW, I admit to being more curious than knowlegable).

Question: Isn't Turnipmonster's advice reasonable?

~ Rick

J.A.Sucker
08-24-2005, 01:40 PM
All you gotta say is that you're self employed and have bank statements that show you have lots of cash. Bring them. I assume that you have a decent amount of cash, as any good gambler does. Nothing else is their business, frankly.

J.A.Sucker
08-24-2005, 01:43 PM
If this plan doesn't look good, have them call Gabe and he can tell them you're his personal assistant. Somebody's gotta wash his car and scrub his toilets.

scrub
08-24-2005, 04:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] All of this is nonsense. Landlords are going to want to see pay stubs, or income tax returns. Paying six months in advance won't help and they are going to do a credit check on ALL occupants of the apartment. In other words, both tennants will have to show PROOF of income. The lanlord tennant laws are so tough these days it's very hard to get someone evicted, and it takes a lot of time and expense, so they like to be sure they have good tennants in there in the first place. They want to be protected, and you can't blame them.

Anyone who got an apartment, especially in California, by any other means just got plain lucky. Being clean cut and acting nice and showing them your bank statement won't get the job done.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true.

That says more about how incompetent most landlords are than anything else, though.

scrub

kleos
08-24-2005, 04:32 PM
Do not pay up front in cash. There are so many things that can go wrong, it's not even funny. I'm sure you can find an escrow service that would only cost a few points for this. I would rather pay a little if I had to, then pay it all upfront.

I haven't had a credit check for a rental in a while, http://www.residentdata.com/ is much more common these days.

kleos
08-24-2005, 04:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

~ Rick

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you have to 'rub out' a few.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you have to ask every girl on the strip if she is working or not, and rub one out in your car in a vegas parking lot.

EightStuda
08-24-2005, 06:43 PM
Personally if I were you, I would bring your buddy from back home to lay down the law and set your landlord strait, and also, put your buddy up indefinitly.

-Dimitri

geormiet
08-24-2005, 11:22 PM
Update:

We want to live with 2 other people now (2+2'ers as well) in a 4 bedroom place.

Today LMD and I went to manhattan beach and saw a great place 3 blocks from the beach that is right in our price range. The place is great and I absolutely want it.

I told them I am a self employed musician (which is partly true) and that the others are grad students with income from assistantships (mostly true). I also told them we have plenty of money in the bank and can show bank statements.

They want to see pay stubs showing at least 3x the amount of the monthly rent (can't do this) and last year's tax statement from me (90% of my income is from poker and it says so on my tax return).

They said they won't accept bank statements. I asked if we could pay a few months in advance, and they told me yes...12 months.

Anyway, this sucks. I am a pushover and don't stand up for myself and I am willing to pay 12 months, but I realize this really sucks and that I shouldn't.

geormiet
08-24-2005, 11:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do not pay up front in cash. There are so many things that can go wrong, it's not even funny. I'm sure you can find an escrow service that would only cost a few points for this. I would rather pay a little if I had to, then pay it all upfront.

I haven't had a credit check for a rental in a while, http://www.residentdata.com/ is much more common these days.

[/ QUOTE ]

What are some of the things that could go wrong if cash is paid up front?

PLOlover
08-25-2005, 01:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What are some of the things that could go wrong if cash is paid up front?

[/ QUOTE ]

An earthquake uninhabitableates your apartment and you are never able to successfully prosecute your claim to recover your money.

Timer
08-25-2005, 02:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume you meant you didn't like most of the advice, not only mine (BTW, I admit to being more curious than knowlegable).

Question: Isn't Turnipmonster's advice reasonable?

~ Rick

[/ QUOTE ]

When I lived in LA I had a hell of a time getting an apartment. They wouldn't accept six months advance rent and didn't care anything about bank statements or the like. They wanted to see pay-check stubs or my income tax returns. This was the case day after day, apartment after apartment.

20 odd years ago in a different city, I was upfront and told an apartment manager I played poker for a living. He said it was a tough decision, but that he'd hate to lose a good tennant and went ahead and rented to me. I can't imagine that happening today.

I am only speaking from personal experience.

ChipWrecked
08-25-2005, 04:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure you want to do that? Post a follow up thread in six months, please.

jen
08-25-2005, 09:18 AM
Yes, me too.

Reading through the other posts in the thread, I thought the advice from most was pretty odd. Proving enough income to a large apt complex would probably work, but I doubt any privately owned condos/apts would rent to poker players in high-demand housing areas. Your only chance (and even then, probably slim) would probably be to pay the entire year up front. Good luck!

geormiet
08-25-2005, 01:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

An escrow service might be a really good idea. Does anyone have any experience with this?

sam h
08-25-2005, 02:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I told them I am a self employed musician (which is partly true) and that the others are grad students with income from assistantships (mostly true).

[/ QUOTE ]

No wonder they are giving you trouble. You should just come clean. Tell them you guys play poker and give them your tax return from last year. They'll probably be like, "Wow. Are you going to be on TV?" and then you can lie again and tell them yes.

onegymrat
08-25-2005, 03:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i got a 2600/mo apartment as a poker player all on my own, just tell them what you do

[/ QUOTE ]
May I interest you in a purchase somewhere on the west side?

TheMetetron
08-26-2005, 01:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure you want to do that? Post a follow up thread in six months, please.

[/ QUOTE ]

It should be interesting. Anyone ever tried to live with 3 other poker players? I would think it would either make you play more or less... not sure which one yet.

stinkypete
08-26-2005, 04:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

It should be interesting. Anyone ever tried to live with 3 other poker players? I would think it would either make you play more or less... not sure which one yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

insightful.

sfer
08-26-2005, 05:16 PM
The three of you should hire a cameracrew and try to sell this to a network.

CAN THREE MISANTHROPIC 20-SOMETHING ASPIRING POKER GANGSTAS STAY SANE UNDER ONE ROOF?????