PDA

View Full Version : K5s on the button, 6-max

Marquis
08-23-2005, 10:43 PM
MP in this hand sees about 75% of flops and is very tentative postflop. She spends a lot of time thinking about her decisions and it seems like she folds too much. UTG is decent.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif. CO posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG calls, MP calls, CO (poster) checks, Hero calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP calls, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls, MP calls, CO calls.

Turn: (7 BB) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP thinks for a while and bets</font>, CO calls, Hero calls, UTG calls.

River: (11 BB) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>...

bozlax
08-23-2005, 10:51 PM
Raise the turn. Make UTG pay to call to the river with ace-high.

Marquis
08-23-2005, 11:04 PM
I am like 99% sure I am behind a bigger K on the turn.

Edit: I'm 99% sure she has a K. It could be any K, really.

aK13
08-23-2005, 11:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am like 99% sure I am behind a bigger K on the turn.

Edit: I'm 99% sure she has a K. It could be any K, really.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then why raise the river? You're not folding a better K. You have more equity on the turn -- that's the best place to stick in a raise (and I think you need to do so somewhere).

Preflop is a little loose for my taste as well.

Marquis
08-23-2005, 11:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Then why raise the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

To buy the pot in a likely chop situation.

aK13
08-23-2005, 11:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I say again -- you are not folding a K.

MrWookie47
08-23-2005, 11:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I prefer going for the overcall from UTG.

Marquis
08-24-2005, 12:13 AM
That overcall is probably going to be worth a lousy half a bet.

If I am indeed chopping this pot, I only have to make this person who folds too much fold about 1 in 12 times to make up for that half a missed bet.

Marquis
08-24-2005, 09:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

River: (11 BB) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG folds, MP folds.
Final Pot: 14 BB

I do think MP folded a K. Let's not give our opponents too much credit.

Sykes
08-24-2005, 09:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG folds, MP folds.
Final Pot: 14 BB

I do think MP folded a K. Let's not give our opponents too much credit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's not give our opponets being complete retards either. NO K IS FOLDING. NEVER.

My guess is that MP either has 79/9T of diamonds/clubs.

Marquis
08-24-2005, 09:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Let's not give our opponets being complete retards either. NO K IS FOLDING. NEVER.

[/ QUOTE ]

That'd be a pretty retarded river bet with those holdings.

Villain is passive. There isn't a bluff or semi-bluff bone in her body.

imported_The Vibesman
08-24-2005, 09:29 AM
Preflop call's a little iffy for me. At least you have the button and max limpers.

I'd raise the turn.

"MP in this hand sees about 75% of flops and is very tentative postflop. She spends a lot of time thinking about her decisions and it seems like she folds too much."

Perhaps she actually calls too much preflop, but does fold losing hands rather than showdown?

imported_The Vibesman
08-24-2005, 09:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That'd be a pretty retarded river bet with those holdings.

Villain is passive. There isn't a bluff or semi-bluff bone in her body.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps when you didn't raise the turn, it caused her to think the K scared you, and that she could fold you out on the river.

I also find it hard to believe any villian would fold a K here.

Marquis
08-24-2005, 09:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Preflop call's a little iffy for me. At least you have the button and max limpers.

I'd raise the turn.

"MP in this hand sees about 75% of flops and is very tentative postflop. She spends a lot of time thinking about her decisions and it seems like she folds too much."

Perhaps she actually calls too much preflop, but does fold losing hands rather than showdown?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty tight preflop, but 3 limpers to me on the button with Kxs is a standard limp.

If I think I'm behind on the turn, why should I raise with a big draw? I have good relative position to trap a couple players if I hit my flush.

imported_The Vibesman
08-24-2005, 10:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty tight preflop, but 3 limpers to me on the button with Kxs is a standard limp.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just think it's borderline, that's all. For example, I limp down to K8s here w/o really thinking about it, but down at K5s I start thinking about it, and it becomes table-dependant. Not saying I've never done it.

[ QUOTE ]
If I think I'm behind on the turn, why should I raise with a big draw? I have good relative position to trap a couple players if I hit my flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you really think you're behind on the turn, sure, but other than one donkbet, there's no real reason to think so. You were playing this table, and you know your opponent better than I do, so if you're convinced that the other player had a better king because of that bet, fine.
With that in mind, though, I don't like the river play, as you're certainly chopping already. I don't think you're folding a K here 1 in 30 times. Go for the overcall, let him at least pay the rake for you.

Although, if I am wrong, I would have to say, "Very nice read."

tiltaholic
08-24-2005, 10:21 AM
Honestly, I'm not good enough to know whether the river river is good or not. My suspicion is that the turn/river play is very read dependant an and the necessary read cannot be communicated well through a text blurb. Sort of a feeling you get based on her behavior given various flop textures and betting patterns. So this makes commenting hard.

That said...

I like the pf limp.
I like the flop raise.
Both standard.

On the turn, it would seem the K helped her, or she had Q8 or a big made hand was waiting for the turn. Her hand range is so big it is hard to narrow anything down however.

I like calling with your huge draw, especially since almost any king has you beaten now.

On the river, you've counterfitted Q8, but other than that you are likely chopping. However, to an UN-observant opponent a river raise looks like you tripped up with sixes. Since she is likely to fold, I like the gamble.

Also I will add - I highly doubt you will fold a king here, but I think a decent UTG doesn't overcall with ace-high, like ever, and the small %age of times villian does fold and hand you the pot make the play profitable.

It will help if I have a good table image also.

Twitch1977
08-24-2005, 11:00 AM
I'd be looking to raise the turn, you might have the best hand and you have a draw to the second nut flush.

Also there's a decent enough chance, especially given that MP is 'tentative' post flop, that if you raise the turn she'll check to you on the river giving you the option of a free showdown if you don't improve and you think it's possible you're behind to a better king.

As others have said I don't think the raise on the river will fold a king.

T

GrunchCan
08-24-2005, 11:07 AM
I like every street, except the river. You have zero fold equity, so your rasie has no value.

I love PF. Not iffy in my mind at all -- not with 2 limpers, a poster, and weak blinds.

deception5
08-24-2005, 11:25 AM
If you think she folds too much then it's a good gamble since you're likely to split if you just call. Most opponents will call with top pair here though, especially passive ones.