PDA

View Full Version : SQL: to convert or not to convert

teddyFBI
08-23-2005, 09:07 PM
I'm somewhat tech-savvy, but this SQL thing is beyond my level of understanding, and I'd be very appreciative if someone with more tech knowledge than me could post an informative post laying out the pros and cons of converting one's PT DB to SQL. From my limited knowledge, all I understand is that it would make everything -- from importing to viewing stats -- run much quicker. It would also remove the 2 gig max size of Access DBs.

But what (if any) are the downsides?
- does it require a lot of tech knowledge to convert?
- do HUDs (specifically PAHUD) work with SQL format PT DBs?
- any other drawbacks?

Dudd
08-23-2005, 09:18 PM
Do it. It takes minutes to set up, it runs much faster than an access database, and PAHud works great. No downside that I see. Well, PokerGrapher doesn't work, that's it.

illunious
08-24-2005, 01:00 AM
Setup was pretty easy, took me around 24 hours to merge my 3 DBs (used a macro).

slavic
08-24-2005, 01:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Setup was pretty easy, took me around 24 hours to merge my 3 DBs (used a macro).

[/ QUOTE ]

Where did you get the macro? Or is this a self done jobby? Do tell, do tell.

TheIrishThug
08-24-2005, 09:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

is there any reason to have multiple DBs anymore? does it make a in storage space if u make 1. right now i have a db for limit,nl,and observed hands.

beaster
08-24-2005, 09:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, PokerGrapher doesn't work, that's it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I converted to PostgreSQL AND got PokerGrapher to work. See this (http://www.pokertracker.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5653) thread, 5 posts down.

illunious
08-24-2005, 01:59 PM
Autohotkey script, self made, just record the import routine and loop. There might be of been an easier way to do it?

illunious
08-24-2005, 02:01 PM
I don't see any reason to have multiple DBs anymore, other than having seperate autorate rules.

sammy_g
08-24-2005, 02:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't see any reason to have multiple DBs anymore, other than having seperate autorate rules.

[/ QUOTE ]
I still see performance problems with DBs that have hundreds of thousands of hands, even with PostgreSQL.

jwp
08-24-2005, 03:46 PM
I still see performance problems in trying to open the ring games window for a large (200,000+ hands) DB.

The operation to backup the DB is MUCH faster with SQL though.

JWP

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-24-2005, 03:56 PM
I completely missed this whole SQL thing when I went to New Orleans for 3 months and didn't play anything online during that time. There's too much chitter chatter to try to sift through it all to get back to the start of it. Can someone fill me in with a cliff's notes version of what's going on here? I've got the latest PT (2.08.00b). Do I need anything else? Is this something for the everyday user, or do I need to be some sort of SQL computer science super user trying to pull my own queries and whatnot to be doing this?

smartalecc5
08-24-2005, 04:35 PM
No man, all you do is click convert to SQL in the utilities menu. I was worried about having to run prompts and all that weird SQL parlance. Thankfully, Pokertracker looks and runs the exact same way. The only differences are that database quries run faster (aka loading hands when you clikc the "ring picture") and the database can be bigger than 2gb.

Any thing I misseD?

TheIrishThug
08-24-2005, 06:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Autohotkey script, self made, just record the import routine and loop. There might be of been an easier way to do it?

[/ QUOTE ]

so its not a pt function that combines the seberate db's? r u just exporting and re-importing the hands to the central db?

illunious
08-24-2005, 07:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

so its not a pt function that combines the seberate db's? r u just exporting and re-importing the hands to the central db?

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct, and non-auto-import only accepts like 30 files at a time (had 1800 with overlap - both my exported HHs and backed up HHs). Could of tried adding an auto import directory, figured it might not of worked though.

Dudd
08-24-2005, 10:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well, PokerGrapher doesn't work, that's it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I converted to PostgreSQL AND got PokerGrapher to work. See this (http://www.pokertracker.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5653) thread, 5 posts down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, but for those of us who don't know a thing about SQL and databases in general, I don't know where to look once I get past the control panel.

sthief09
08-25-2005, 12:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

any chance you could post how tod o this? I'm sick of having multiple databases

Luv2DriveTT
08-25-2005, 01:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I still use multiple databases for different games, I find it easier that way. One for short, one for full, one for NL full, and now I'm adding a data mined database to each. I don't autorate (shhhh.... secret) so its really just for convince and accuracy of stats while using Poker Ace.

To merge databases, you have to export a database to a folder on your desktop, switch databases, and then import the HH into the new master database. It's that easy.

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

illunious
08-25-2005, 04:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll probably be lost unless you have some experience with macros. autohotkeys (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=res&cd=1&url=http%3A//www.autohotkey.com/&ei=_YUNQ8ycHIz6-AHYvaGTBQ)

Once you get comfortable with macros, stuff like this is real easy to do.

1. Export your HHs from secondary DBs, open PT and the manual import window, run AHK recorder and start recording
2. Go through the process of importing the files, this will need to be the same mouse/keyboard actions every time (I clicked import, selected the first 8 files, deleted, added a "Sleep, 3000", selected the next 8, clicked ok when it was done importing and looped)
3. Use your recording to make a .ahk file and add the loop.

This is what my script looked like I doubt it will work for anyone else because of different screen coordinates.

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre> Loop, 198
{
WinWait, ahk_class #32770,
IfWinNotActive, ahk_class #32770, , WinActivate, ahk_class #32770,
WinWaitActive, ahk_class #32770,
Send, {ENTER}
MouseClick, left, 276, 175
Sleep, 100
WinWait, Poker Tracker (Version 2.07.00h),
IfWinNotActive, Poker Tracker (Version 2.07.00h), , WinActivate, Poker Tracker (Version 2.07.00h),
WinWaitActive, Poker Tracker (Version 2.07.00h),
MouseClick, left, 250, 284
Sleep, 100

WinWait, Select File(s) To Import,
IfWinNotActive, Select File(s) To Import, , WinActivate, Select File(s) To Import,
WinWaitActive, Select File(s) To Import,
MouseClick, left, 17, 154
Sleep, 100
Send, {RIGHT}{SHIFTDOWN}{HOME}{SHIFTUP}{DEL}
Sleep, 3000
MouseClick, left, 17, 154
Sleep, 100
Send, {RIGHT}{SHIFTDOWN}{HOME}{SHIFTUP}
MouseClick, left, 361, 205
Sleep, 100

}</pre><hr />

sthief09
08-25-2005, 08:24 AM
there's no way of doing if it you didn't save your HH's?

TheIrishThug
08-25-2005, 08:38 AM
pt has an export hands option, that will over u if u didn't save the hands. also, u can use the auto import in pt to work around the limit on the number of files to load at once, it will also go into sub-directories.

sthief09
08-25-2005, 08:54 AM
you can't export hands if you didnt save them though