PDA

View Full Version : Quick stupid pf

BottlesOf
08-23-2005, 08:58 PM
Unknown mp limps, you have QTo in the CO (button is a lil loose, sb is very loose, bb is avg.)

Your play?

imported_stealthcow
08-23-2005, 08:59 PM
i see good cases for raising or limping, but i want to be in this hand.

i raise usually. but i think a lot of it depends on how your opponents play postflop. if they give up a lot on flops, then you want to take control and hope to win the hand on flops you miss. otherwise, i just limp and hope to hit big because you've got a good payoff.

stealthcow-

sweetjazz
08-23-2005, 09:07 PM
I usually limp here. Unless my opponents have reasonable to low W2SD numbers, I want to fold a lot of flops here, and on most flops I am happy to be bet into (so I can either raise or fold).

Some of the time I will raise here, as I think it is close. If I have been card dead for a while, I will sometimes raise in case I have increased my fold equity a bit. Conversely, if there have been a lot of raises preflop at this table, I will be more inclined to call, to encourage people to limp in more often with weak/marginal hands.

Overall, I think the main question is, will I be able to take the pot if I raise PF, the flop comes A high or K high and nobody has made top pair or a strong draw (or trips/two pair)? If the answer is yes, then raising is clearly best. If the answer is no (which is true in most online games), then calling becomes plausible and somewhat attractive.

nervous
08-23-2005, 09:31 PM
This is standard raise for me but since the flop will likely be 4 handed at least I don't see much point in raising QT.

NLSoldier
08-23-2005, 10:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Unknown mp limps, you have QTo in the CO (button is a lil loose, sb is very loose, bb is avg.)

Your play?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm raising.

numb3rs
08-23-2005, 10:51 PM
Isn't this a clear raise or fold. Limping here seems awful.

bank
08-23-2005, 11:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Isn't this a clear raise or fold. Limping here seems awful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily. Depends how your opponents react postflop. For example, if they all have WTSD > 50 you might want to limp since you won't push them off a better hand postflop (they will call down with K or even A high the whole way). Taking control of the hand isn't as valuable as limping in this situation. Am I making sense at all?

imported_stealthcow
08-23-2005, 11:27 PM
you dont think oyu can play this at least marginally profitably limping here? esp if sb is coming in with a lot of hands.

numb3rs
08-23-2005, 11:29 PM
Can you elaborate on how that would affect your pf decision here?

numb3rs
08-23-2005, 11:30 PM
If I'm going to play this marginal hand here, I'd rather bump it than limp behind.

Edit: I guess given the very loose sb, a raise may not be as valuable in this spot as more players may jump in.

bank
08-23-2005, 11:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If I'm going to play this marginal hand here, I'd rather bump it than limp behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why.

numb3rs
08-23-2005, 11:33 PM
It's easier to win a pot vs fewer opponents.

bank
08-23-2005, 11:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on what type of opponents. Read my first post on this thread again. It might be optimal to invest 1SB preflop rather than 2SB preflop (and take control) if you are raising into a bunch of LPs who go to showdown 60% of the time. If that is the case these opponents are showing down their K or A high so what's the point of raising preflop?

DMBFan23
08-23-2005, 11:40 PM
ah, the classic "raise 72o UTG" argument

numb3rs
08-23-2005, 11:40 PM
Yeah, that's true. That makes sense.

bugstud
08-23-2005, 11:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on what type of opponents. Read my first post on this thread again. It might be optimal to invest 1SB preflop rather than 2SB preflop (and take control) if you are raising into a bunch of LPs who go to showdown 60% of the time. If that is the case these opponents are showing down their K or A high so what's the point of raising preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

because they play horrible?