PDA

View Full Version : I wanna kill some bees

college_boy
08-23-2005, 08:36 PM
The last two times I've mowed my lawn I've been stung and come to find out there's a ground hive in my yard. I bought some chemicals to put down there but that doesn't sound like much fun. So far I've put a bucket over the hole just to see what would happen and they got pretty pissed. Right now I'm considering some combinations of gas, fire, bug spray, and a vacuum cleaner. Any other creative ideas? I'm planning on making a night of it.

swede123
08-23-2005, 08:37 PM
I'd put my money on the bees in this one.

Swede

Ringo_Mojo
08-23-2005, 08:40 PM
Whatever you decide to do... Make sure to videotape it.

Reef
08-23-2005, 08:41 PM
buy some hornets and release them right by the bee hole.

Duffman
08-23-2005, 08:42 PM
Heh,

I used to go upstate every summer and one summer when I was 14 we found an undergroun bee-hive. We decided to get this kid Sam all bitten up. We set up a baseball game and we told him to play outfield in the area right next to the hive.

It didn't take Sam long to step on the hive and it was pretty damn funny to see a chubby little kid getting stung like crazy.

It took about two minutes for the bees to spread EVERYWHERE and sting the [censored] out of all of us. Almost everyone in the colony got stung, and my grandmother got stung like 4 times. She was pissed off.

young nut
08-23-2005, 08:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hahah /images/graemlins/wink.gif good reference

seriously though, you are mowing your lawn and now you want to set a section of it on fire? how about, stop mowing it if you don't care what it looks like.

jakethebake
08-23-2005, 08:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

I laughed hard at this.

college_boy
08-23-2005, 09:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hahah /images/graemlins/wink.gif good reference

seriously though, you are mowing your lawn and now you want to set a section of it on fire? how about, stop mowing it if you don't care what it looks like.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I think this could be fun. I will probably dump chemicals down there at some point but that's too easy.

turnipmonster
08-23-2005, 09:10 PM
bees are really cool, don't kill the bees.

imported_CaseClosed326
08-23-2005, 09:11 PM
Punch every bee in the face

Al P
08-23-2005, 09:11 PM
Hand grenade.

ethan
08-23-2005, 09:14 PM
Build a PVC flamethrower. (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=f827c9678e6c12e5db992c721eef704b& threadid=1107178&perpage=40&pagenumber=1) Get someone to take pictures.

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/3697/longjetstreet.jpg

Navers
08-23-2005, 09:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Whatever you decide to do... Make sure to take photos and post them

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

stankybank
08-23-2005, 09:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Right now I'm considering some combinations of gas, fire, bug spray, and a vacuum cleaner. Any other creative ideas? I'm planning on making a night of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. good luck with that!

jdl22
08-23-2005, 09:20 PM
Are they actually wasps? If so get a wasp trap. My dad has used one quite effectively. Might work on bees too, not sure. You can even build one out of a two liter bottle but the ones you buy for five bucks or so work better it seems.

masse75
08-23-2005, 09:48 PM
Find a monkey with some weed and ask him to get the bees high.

Luzion
08-23-2005, 09:53 PM
Soapy water works. I believe they use "soapy foam" to kill swarms of Africanized bees. Makes the bees drown.

Spota
08-23-2005, 10:46 PM
Walk out to the hole at night (when the bees are sleeping) and find it with a flashlight. Pour a little gasoline in the hole then light it on fire. Obviously move the gas can away from the hole just in case, but that should take care of your problem.

KungFuSandwich
08-23-2005, 10:48 PM
Bad Advice Guy?

RacersEdge
08-24-2005, 12:18 AM
How about a little Quick-Crete?

Cancer Merchant
08-24-2005, 01:21 AM
Cup of gasoline + match. Better during the daytime. Vacuum up the remains and apply more fire.

Remember to have a can of hairspray and more matches to maul survivors with.

UseThePeenEnd
08-24-2005, 01:33 AM
Are these bees or yellow jackets? I didnt think honeybees or bumblebees nested underground.

Anyway, yellow jackets are dormant at night. There are hornet killer foams, this works well. Wait till just after dark, get close to the hole and let fly. Works well.

Look for other activity in the area. Yellowjacket colonies are usually clustered, and one colony will repopulate the massacre hole of another, so you may have to do this more than once unless you find all the nests.

MelchyBeau
08-24-2005, 01:55 AM
ok if they are active right now, they aren't bees.

If they are 2 inches or bigger they are wasps that kill cicadas. These don't sting humans.

If they are small like an inch or so you got yellow jackets.

I'd recommend you actually getting pest control out there. Colonies of Yellow Jackets can get very big.

Melch

jakethebake
08-24-2005, 08:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Colonies of Yellow Jackets can get very big. Melch

[/ QUOTE ]

...and very mean. Take it from someone that was once swarmed on by an entire nest. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Bulldog
08-24-2005, 09:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

Soda came out my nose when I read this! Well, not quite out, but up the nasal passage at least. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

newfant
08-24-2005, 09:41 AM
Two ideas:

1: Park your lawnmower over the hole, turn on the blade, and see if it chops all the bees up.

2: Buy a small-diameter, long rubber hose. Cork one end. Pour gasoline in. Put a wick in the other end and cork it. Light the wick, drop the hose into the hole, move back slightly and videotape the result. Post the video here if you live.

jakethebake
08-24-2005, 09:43 AM
In all seriousness, people in Texas kill fire ants by running a hose from their truck exhaust pipe to the anthill and gassing them.

Shajen
08-24-2005, 09:48 AM
If you go the gasoline route (which is the way I went, with the exact same problem) do it in the evening and don't light it unless you like fireballs. They'll be asleep and the fumes and the gas itself will kill them. On second thought, I shoulda tossed a match.

BTW, RESULTS?

08-24-2005, 10:15 AM
In norcal we always used kerosene. Take a trash can lid and swirl some kerosene on it then set it over the nest, and leave it there overnight. People have told me this works with gas, but i've never tried it.

imported_The Vibesman
08-24-2005, 10:18 AM
Squat over it and defecate. They hate that.

jakethebake
08-24-2005, 10:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Squat over it and defecate. They hate that.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds like an excellent idea. Please try it asap.

Where is college boy this morning anyway? No updates. This can't be good.

SL__72
08-24-2005, 10:32 AM
That happened to me once. Walking through the forest, hidden ground wasp hive, 25 stings later I decided that walking through forests was dumb.

jakethebake
08-24-2005, 10:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
That happened to me once. Walking through the forest, hidden ground wasp hive, 25 stings later I decided that walking through forests was dumb.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine was summer camp when I was maybe 11 or so. There was a huge paper nest, probably 2' x 3' under the eves of one of the cabins. Some kids thought it was a good idea to throw rocks at it. I was stung too many places to count, pretty much all over my body, but especially my head. I dropped to the ground and started rolling like I was on fire. Of course it was the day of the big camp dance and I looked like the kid from Mask. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

benza13
08-24-2005, 10:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
2: Buy a small-diameter, long rubber hose. Cork one end. Pour gasoline in. Put a wick in the other end and cork it. Light the wick, drop the hose into the hole, move back slightly and videotape the result. Post the video here if you live.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds like the best idea yet. Please remember College Boy, the results of this are useless without pics or video posted if you survive.

swede123
08-24-2005, 10:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds like the best idea yet. Please remember College Boy, the results of this are useless without pics or video posted if you survive.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he survives? What the hell? If he dies as a result of this a video or at least pictures is even more a necessity. Hopefully some relative and/or crime scene investigator will eventually get to OOT and discover this thread, followed by a graphic, in-depth documentation of the demise of collegeboy.

Swede

jakethebake
08-24-2005, 10:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If he dies as a result of this a video or at least pictures is even more a necessity.

[/ QUOTE ]

This would almost be adequate compensation for ILIKEBIGASSES' survival.

CORed
08-24-2005, 12:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In all seriousness, people in Texas kill fire ants by running a hose from their truck exhaust pipe to the anthill and gassing them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fire ants (workers anyway) don't fly.

jakethebake
08-24-2005, 12:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What does this have to do with the price of beans in Mexico. I'm talking about pumping exhaust down into their hole.

benza13
08-24-2005, 12:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure that this makes a difference in this situation, but I guess its good to know.

benza13
08-24-2005, 12:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If he survives? What the hell? If he dies as a result of this a video or at least pictures is even more a necessity. Hopefully some relative and/or crime scene investigator will eventually get to OOT and discover this thread, followed by a graphic, in-depth documentation of the demise of collegeboy.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I assumed 2 things if he doesn't survive:

That the video probably wouldn't either and that there would be no one to post it to OOT, unless we can get another OOTiot to film from a distance and post it.

CORed
08-24-2005, 12:29 PM
Some of the bees (or wasps) may fly out of the hole before the exhaust kills them. They will probably be pissed off. You may have to stay in you car or truck for a long time, or drive away with a hose still attached to the exhaust.

jakethebake
08-24-2005, 12:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Some of the bees (or wasps) may fly out of the hole before the exhaust kills them. They will probably be pissed off. You may have to stay in you car or truck for a long time, or drive away with a hose still attached to the exhaust.

[/ QUOTE ]

Smoke calms bees. I'd assume exhaust will do the same.

LetYouDown
08-24-2005, 12:40 PM
Anyone else ever see the discovery channel (or similar) show on Killer Bees? Apparently when the first bee stings you, it releases this hormone and the other bees can sense it instantly and they go insane. They did an experiment by putting a small sample underneath a controlled # of killer bees and within 2 seconds, the bees started stinging the crap out of it. They showed it afterward and the number of stingers stuck in it was insane. Pretty interesting show, all in all.

Unless you can remotely detonate something, where you're in a 100% sealed environment, I definitely wouldn't go the route of explosion/gasoline. Supposedly killing the Queen bee confuses the hell out of the rest of the bees and they will die soon after. I'd call a pest control guy, pay the fee and call it a day.

jakethebake
08-24-2005, 12:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd call a pest control guy, pay the fee and call it a day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Boooooo!

Porcupine
08-24-2005, 12:49 PM
Not as exciting as some of the other suggestions, but the gasoline route works pretty well.

We poured some gas in the hole and then quickly plugged the hole with a gas-soaked rag (on end of a broom handle). The next day, there were no more yellow jackets in our front yard.

Shajen
08-24-2005, 12:51 PM
Is that guy the new bad advice gimic?

Gasoline is the obvious play here.

LetYouDown
08-24-2005, 12:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Boooooo!

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, what the hell was I thinking? That's what I would do. You should blow something up and be as careless as possible.

Shajen
08-24-2005, 01:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You should blow something up and be as careless as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

DUH.

BottlesOf
08-24-2005, 02:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Heh,

I used to go upstate every summer and one summer when I was 14 we found an undergroun bee-hive. We decided to get this kid Sam all bitten up. We set up a baseball game and we told him to play outfield in the area right next to the hive.

It didn't take Sam long to step on the hive and it was pretty damn funny to see a chubby little kid getting stung like crazy.

It took about two minutes for the bees to spread EVERYWHERE and sting the [censored] out of all of us. Almost everyone in the colony got stung, and my grandmother got stung like 4 times. She was pissed off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please elaborate there.

RacersEdge
08-24-2005, 02:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Where is college boy this morning anyway? No updates. This can't be good.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.tigressproductions.co.uk/images/programmes/killerbee.jpg

masse75
08-24-2005, 09:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Heh,

[/ QUOTE ]

Please elaborate there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like either he's settling the New World or he's a member of the Borg Collective.

IggyWH
08-24-2005, 09:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Colonies of Yellow Jackets can get very big. Melch

[/ QUOTE ]

...and very mean. Take it from someone that was once swarmed on by an entire nest. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I was very lucky last Thursday...

I was out working in the field (had to go out with a jurisdiction officer to show wetlands that were deliniated) and after she was done, we had to go back to a spot to GPS the one wetland. Our damn GPS unit was being a bitch so I was just standing around and kept hearing what sounded like bees flying around. I'd look around and not see anything except those big ass horse flies so I just figured that's what it was.

I then felt a pinch on the back of my leg, so I turn around and there's dozens of yellow jackets on my pants. I take off running where I lose most of them and then beat the [censored] out of the rest with a fieldbook I had when I ran out of gas.

On the way back home, about an hour later, I feel something walking on my leg. I squeeze my pants and feel something smooshing. I roll up my pants to find I squashed another yellow jacket. I'm lucky that guy didn't have a field day.

08-24-2005, 10:03 PM
Head out there at night time, when the bees are less active, and will be in their nest, find the hole, and spray plenty of pesticide down there. Pyrethrins or any pyrethroid (anything ending in -thrin, such as deltamethrin) will do. Raid or the generic equivilent should do.

I don't think they sell over the counter pesticide dust, or else I would recommend that. It travels better than a spray, and has a longer residual.

LetYouDown
09-28-2005, 11:56 AM
Results? Co-worker just got stung by a bee, I laughed...thought of this thread.

Toro
09-28-2005, 12:02 PM
Just buy some hornet/wasp killer spray and zap them. But here is the key. You must wait until sundown to do it because you have have to wait until they all return to the nest.

STLantny
09-28-2005, 12:04 PM
Firecrackers + stryrofome, disinegrated into gasoline.

jakethebake
09-28-2005, 12:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Results? Co-worker just got stung by a bee, I laughed...thought of this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent bump!

lem45216
09-28-2005, 12:08 PM
Get one of those electrified fly killer tennis racket type gizmos that fry the bees when they fly into it, poke the hole and play a little tennis.

jakethebake
10-04-2005, 08:41 AM
Did we ever get results on this? /images/graemlins/mad.gif

ghostface
10-04-2005, 08:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Punch every bee in the face

[/ QUOTE ]

The genius of Dane Cook wins again.