PDA

View Full Version : Install and Run Poker Client Program on XP Restricted Account?

08-23-2005, 08:22 PM
I recently read in another forum that due to the invasive abilities of the poker client software, it was recommended that players/users who operate on Windows XP install and run the poker client software on restricted user accounts. Players/users were cautioned that installing and running poker client software on administrative user accounts provides the poker client with adminisrative access and full dominion over the computer and perhaps network. It was suggested that the restricted user account would help contain the poker client software within the limits of the restricted account. If this is true, the poker client software could be prevented from scanning, file snooping or invading beyond the restricted user account and files specifically shared with the restricted user account. Any accuracy here? Any thoughts?

Luv2DriveTT
08-24-2005, 12:59 AM
What Party Poker does could be done on a non-admin account as well. Yes its always good advice to run applications on restricted accounts rather than admin accounts, however it wont make a difference when playing at Party.

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

theredbaron
08-24-2005, 01:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I recently read in another forum that due to the invasive abilities of the poker client software, it was recommended that players/users who operate on Windows XP install and run the poker client software on restricted user accounts. Players/users were cautioned that installing and running poker client software on administrative user accounts provides the poker client with adminisrative access and full dominion over the computer and perhaps network. It was suggested that the restricted user account would help contain the poker client software within the limits of the restricted account. If this is true, the poker client software could be prevented from scanning, file snooping or invading beyond the restricted user account and files specifically shared with the restricted user account. Any accuracy here? Any thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

The quick and dirty way to 'isolate' the poker software is to run it on a 'virtual machine' using a product such as 'vmware' or 'win4lin'. Under that scenario, the poker software can only see what resources are available to the virtual machine.

VMware (vmware.com) is not terribly cheap, but I have used t for years and it is extremly stable. The virtual machines can be hosted using Windows XP or linux. The virtual machines can actually run just about any OS. Personally I always load win98se to avoid that Microsoft 'activation' hassle (and yes, I do have a license).

Win4lin is less costly, but requires linux as the base operating system. While not terribly difficult, linux does require a bit more work for the initial setup.

Later,
The baron