PDA

View Full Version : AQo w/ 3 of a kind showing

Frosthawk
08-23-2005, 08:07 PM
wasn't sure on this one. The only player who showed any strength folded on the turn. I figured that I had about 7 outs on the river draw but I am still learning. I am also not real adept at pot odds yet so viewpoints are definitely welcome.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, BB calls.

Turn: (6.25 BB) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, BB folds.

River: (8.25 BB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.25 BB
<font color="#009B00">Main Pot: 10.25 BB, between Hero and Button.</font>

Sightless
08-23-2005, 08:12 PM
remove the word "texas" from converter when u convert and preview your posts

Fantam
08-23-2005, 08:14 PM
Looks like your converter is not working properly. I seem to have the same problem with it.

Unless someone had a 9, I can only imagine that the only hands staying in this pot with you, would have been anyone who had a 6, pocket pair or a flush draw.

I suspect that you were beat on the river. That flop was not very good for you.

Frosthawk
08-23-2005, 08:19 PM
Sorry it has been awhile since I used that thing. It has been changed now.

Saint_D
08-23-2005, 08:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
remove the word "texas" from converter when u convert and preview your posts

[/ QUOTE ]

Dave G's working downloadable converter. (http://darksun.lunarpages.com/poker)

Paired flops are really hard. You are usually way ahead or way behind with an ace in the hole. That 3 flush is scary. Look up the Clarkmiester Theorom for what do do when a 3rd flush cards lands and you are OOP. (Bet/fold as I recall).

-D

Fantam
08-23-2005, 08:30 PM
I think Clarkmeister's idea is to bet the turn when there are 4 flush cards on board no matter what you have.

Presumably the idea is that you will fold out non flush and low card flush hands. And if you are raised, then you would fold unless you had a high flush yourself.

turaho
08-23-2005, 10:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think Clarkmeister's idea is to bet the turn when there are 4 flush cards on board no matter what you have.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are three criteria for the Clarkmeister's as I understand it:

1) You are out of position
2) The fourth flush card falls on the river
3) You have a hand worth showing down but not necessarily a flush.

The idea is an opponent will check through any hands you beat on the river if you don't bet and bet any hands you don't beat, but you'll have to call his bet anyway with a strong hand to snap off a bluff.

In regards to the OP, whatever draw the CO was on just got there at the river and you have A high. If you think A high is good (and I don't think it is), then you should bet this river and fold to a raise.

@bsolute_luck
08-23-2005, 10:15 PM
need a read on the villain's before any suggestion can be made.

why BB folded or what he/she was betting on the flop, i have no idea. what Button could have is anybody's guess to whether to check/call or bet that river.

but before we get to the river, i'd like to hear discussion on the flop raise really.

The Legend
08-23-2005, 10:22 PM
With someone still to act, I may fold this flop, the pot ain't too big or anything. If the flop better is pretty aggressive though, you could raise, not call, so its read dependent. With the third nine hitting, a bet on the turn isn't horrible I think, your ace and queen outs are probably both good if you are behind, and you may not be. On the river, unless the bettor is incredibly weak postflop, and even still, go ahead and call for 9 to 1. I suppose he caught the flush or had a small pocket pair or something. So even for 9 to 1, maybe its not good enough to call unless he's aggressive. Random Idiot Factor kicks in I suppose.

Frosthawk
08-24-2005, 12:18 AM
table was pretty weak and the way these players had been playing I figured A high might hold up. Ok, I have been out of touch with the board for quite awhile so I am not familiar with Clarkmeister. Any help there would be appreciated.

Frosthawk
08-24-2005, 12:26 AM
Table was pretty weak and players could be intimidated. Since I had bet preflop I figured it was worth another shot.

turaho
08-24-2005, 07:44 AM
This hand isn't a Clarkmeister, so don't worry about that.

But I think in general, if you think A high might be good or you can push a weak player off a better hand, then you are much better off betting the river rather than check/calling the river.

Put another way, if you are going to call a river bet out of position with ace high, you are better off making the bet in the first place and folding to a raise.

When CO calls two on the flop and one on the river, I put him on either a made hand that he's planning to show down or a flush/straight draw that just got there on the river. There are times I might bet A high on this river (I'm kind of a LAG) but this isn't one of them.

SavageMiser
08-24-2005, 09:53 AM
No reads? Unfortunate.

I wouldn't have raised the flop myself, but ... when the button flat calls it, my first thought is uh-oh. When the button calls the turn, that's double uh-oh. Unless he's a complete and utter donkey, you can assume he's not chasing the flush and he's got something.

If I'm going to spend a BB on the river here, it will be with a bet, then folding to a raise. I have a hard time imagining what AQ can beat on this board, given the button's actions.