PDA

View Full Version : NHL Trade - Heatley for Hossa

ClaytonN
08-23-2005, 07:28 PM
Atlanta gets Senators top scorer Hossa in return for Heatley. Heatley cited a need for a change in environment, and I don't necessarily blame him.

Atlanta is going to be soooooooo stacked now.

bugstud
08-23-2005, 10:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Atlanta gets Senators top scorer Hossa in return for Heatley. Heatley cited a need for a change in environment, and I don't necessarily blame him.

[/ QUOTE ]

meh Hossa is a slightly higher scoring less physical version of heatley that is older and more expensive

Clarkmeister
08-23-2005, 10:11 PM
What does this have to do with fantasy football?

Weatherhead03
08-23-2005, 10:58 PM
Heatley's better, cheaper, younger and a Canadian now playing in Canada.

Triumph36
08-23-2005, 11:29 PM
Heatley's better? Hossa's been a big-time scorer on one of the best teams in the East. Heatley's put up big numbers for a bad team. Huge difference.

It was time for Hossa to leave Ottawa, and I think Ottawa got the right player back. It was definitely time for Heatley to leave Atlanta, and they got great value back for him. I don't know about that team in the playoffs, and with Pasi Nurminen's rumored retirement I don't know if they will make it there, but they will be exciting to watch in the regular season.

MrFeelNothin
08-23-2005, 11:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Heatley's better? Hossa's been a big-time scorer on one of the best teams in the East. Heatley's put up big numbers for a bad team. Huge difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes you are right. There is a huge difference. It is much harder to put up those kind of numbers with the pathetic supporting cast in Atlanta. Look at the players surrounding Hossa in Ottawa and compare them to Heatley's linemates. Other than Kovalchuk, there is noone there.

Plus Heatley is two years younger.

[ QUOTE ]
It was time for Hossa to leave Ottawa.

[/ QUOTE ]

Once again, you have it backwards. Hossa didn't kill anyone.

rusty JEDI
08-24-2005, 12:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a typo right?

rJ

Weatherhead03
08-24-2005, 12:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a typo right?

rJ

[/ QUOTE ]

nh

Triumph36
08-24-2005, 07:39 AM
No - this is a common fallacy held by NHL fans. While at first, you'd think a mediocre supporting cast does make it difficult to put up good numbers, the fact that the Thrashers played in a lot of uncompetitive games and the fact that *someone* has to score goals, as well as the fact that since they have no one else, they're going to be throwing Heatley out there 20 minutes a game. Ottawa, who has four good lines, is not going to play Hossa as much as Atlanta does Heatley.

Marian Hossa had Alfredsson and Havlat on his team, but neither of them were out on the ice when Hossa was. And his left wings and centers were not very good on Ottawa - Arvedson or MacEachern for LW, Bonk or White for center. Imagine if Hossa had a very good center.

bugstud
08-24-2005, 07:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
No - this is a common fallacy held by NHL fans. While at first, you'd think a mediocre supporting cast does make it difficult to put up good numbers, the fact that the Thrashers played in a lot of uncompetitive games and the fact that *someone* has to score goals, as well as the fact that since they have no one else, they're going to be throwing Heatley out there 20 minutes a game. Ottawa, who has four good lines, is not going to play Hossa as much as Atlanta does Heatley.

Marian Hossa had Alfredsson and Havlat on his team, but neither of them were out on the ice when Hossa was. And his left wings and centers were not very good on Ottawa - Arvedson or MacEachern for LW, Bonk or White for center. Imagine if Hossa had a very good center.

[/ QUOTE ]

and who the hell will that be on the thrashers?

Zurvan
08-24-2005, 10:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

and who the hell will that be on the thrashers?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bobby Holik. LOL

Ottawa got way the better of this deal, it's not even close. In terms of stats, they're basically the same player. But Hossa is soft. Ottawa needs someone strong & tough up front, and they finally got him.

Atlanta is going to have one good, entertaining line, that will disappear in the playoffs.

Wes ManTooth
08-24-2005, 10:47 AM
This article seems to disagree (http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/4803244)

This trade helped both teams in different ways, while I would give the edge to Ottawa because Heatley has a little more potencial because he is 2 years younger, but I would not say that Ottawa is going to be that much better.

Wes ManTooth
08-24-2005, 10:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Heatley's better, cheaper, younger and a Canadian now playing in Canada.

[/ QUOTE ]

Canadian playing in Canada... meh

imported_The Vibesman
08-24-2005, 12:36 PM
I think this is good for Ottawa, Heatly will provide a physical presence, they need more of that. He's also a point-per-game guy at 24 years old, that's not shabby either. Hossa's a good player too.

Frequitude
08-24-2005, 03:59 PM
At first, I thought Ottawa ran away with this one...but thinking about it a little more everyone wins.

I'm not sure who saw the press conference an hour ago, but Heatley looks pumped to be in Ottawa...or anywhere in Canada for that matter. He's finally in a city that cares about hockey.

Hossa is a very very skilled offensive threat, but Heatley is the total package. Skilled, young, tough and plays well under pressure (see international experience). This is a player who could get Ottawa deep in the playoffs, let alone past Toronto.

Atlanta, on the other hand, gets a super skilled forward to replace another star who just didn't want to be there anymore (can you blame him). As soon as Ottawa signed him for 18/3, you knew he was gone. I didn't expect this, but in hindsight I can't believe no one saw it coming (except for "guy with a blog").

I would have loved to see Heater in hometown Flames silks, but I think it would have involved Phaneuf or Iginla going the other way...neither of which I would touch with a 10-foot pole.

Tyler Durden
08-24-2005, 05:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It was time for Hossa to leave Ottawa

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Or are you just talking out of your ass?

Triumph36
08-24-2005, 05:46 PM
Hossa's original contract demand was too high.

Alfredsson is signed long-term.

Havlat is young.

You cannot carry 3 right wings of that level when your centers and left wings are as weak as the Senators' are, and now with the salary cap.

As for who will be the center, Marc Savard had one of the highest points per game last season before he got hurt. He is better than Radek Bonk or Todd White. Yes, he sucked in Calgary, but he's really put it together in Atlanta.

Frequitude
08-24-2005, 10:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It was time for Hossa to leave Ottawa

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Or are you just talking out of your ass?

[/ QUOTE ]

After that contract, it was absolutely time. They got Heatley in return, which is nice...but what this really does for Ottawa is give them some cap flexibility. That is huge with Chara's and Redden's contracts coming up soon.