PDA

View Full Version : How To Win At Omaha High-Low

greatwhite
08-23-2005, 04:59 PM
Mike Cappelletti's book has got to be one of the worst books I've ever read. First of all, he is a very loose player. Play A3 anything? Raise with the 3rd best hand to knock out a 2nd? With a limits most people are playing at people typically will stay in with the 2nd best hand. He also tends to repeat himself quite a bit. How many times do we have to hear a loose game is when 5 or more people see the flop? On top of this he is extremely disorganized. For example he is talking about flop types before preflop play. He also uses too many random charts. Finally his hand examples are terrible. Yes, it's great to know that Hartford is the insurance capital, what the rules are in Tampa, and where you have played, but it's not relevant to o/8. No one cares where you were for each hand example Mike. The bottom line is I cannot recommend this book to anybody without a case of Advil, because your head will be in severe pain after you read this book.Good luck finding advice in this scattered mess. Someone has got to make a good low limit o8 book real soon, because if this is the best out there I'll figure everything out by myself the hard way. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

SNOWBALL138
08-23-2005, 05:09 PM
His is the only book that I returned to Border's for a refund. I used the cash from Mike's book to pay for part of Zee's book, which is much better done. However, I don't agree with every here that "Zee's book is the only one you will ever need". I'm sure these are the same people that were saying "HPFAP is the only book on hold em that you will ever need"

Mike's book could be a lot better. Your criticisms are all valid. However, Mike does cover a lot of material that Zee doesn't cover.

kitaristi0
08-23-2005, 06:34 PM
My thoughts exactly (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=books&Number=2849163&Forum =f19&Words=Cappalletti&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main= 2849163&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=27078&dater ange=1&newerval=1&newertype=y&olderval=&oldertype= &bodyprev=#Post2849163)

Moneyline
08-23-2005, 06:57 PM
I think Cappelletti's book is valuable and worth buying because it contains correct information that isn't contained in other 08 books. IMO SS2 is the best and Zee's book is close behind, but both are about 80 pages long. Mike Cappelletti's book (and Bill Boston's book too) fill in some of the gaps that are left out of the two better, shorter books. Unfortunately, there is some information that I think is flat out wrong in Mike Capp's book, so it would probably harm your game if you're not already good enough to be able to seperate the bad information from the good. It definitely takes some patience to get through the book, because "How to Win at Omaha High-Low" is: poorly written, disorganized, brimming with Mike's massive ego, and contains a few chapters of no use at all.

mike4bmp
08-24-2005, 03:43 AM
Has anyone read Ken Warren's book on O8? I have but I need some experienced players' opinions before I go running off to use the advice in the book.

greatwhite
08-24-2005, 11:33 AM
Ken Warren's book on omaha is a flat out joke.

PokerHorse
08-24-2005, 04:41 PM
I started looking at cappelettis book in the store and i could see right away it was poorly written .He jumps around alot. Ray Zees book wasnt in stock at borders or barnes and Nobles, so I bought Lou kriegers. Its very well organized and well written. I trust the info

DyessMan89
09-28-2005, 11:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Has anyone read Ken Warren's book on O8? I have but I need some experienced players' opinions before I go running off to use the advice in the book.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hearing you say that books name makes me mad. COMPLETE joke. All of his books are so god damn awful, and to think I own 2 of em. Grrrrrrrr

benfranklin
09-29-2005, 02:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I started looking at cappelettis book in the store and i could see right away it was poorly written .He jumps around alot. Ray Zees book wasnt in stock at borders or barnes and Nobles, so I bought Lou kriegers. Its very well organized and well written. I trust the info

[/ QUOTE ]

Mike's book is mostly a collection of articles, with some attempt to put them together into something like a book. There is value there, but not if you read it like a strategy book. Anyone learning O8 should put this book about 4th or 5th in the reading list, and read it only after becoming fairly proficient at the game.

09-29-2005, 04:35 AM
I have also been looking around for some good omaha book. As of right now I only have Ray Zee's book. I was wondering if you guys can recommend any other good omaha book that are in the market today. Also I dont care if it is on omaha 8/better or omaha high.

benfranklin
09-29-2005, 01:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have also been looking around for some good omaha book. As of right now I only have Ray Zee's book. I was wondering if you guys can recommend any other good omaha book that are in the market today. Also I dont care if it is on omaha 8/better or omaha high.

[/ QUOTE ]

There have been numerous threads on this over the last few months. I suggest scrolling back or searching. Contrary to popular belief, the search function does work.

I'd also suggest a visit to the Omaha8 forum.

Leavenfish
09-29-2005, 07:30 PM
Real Poker Night by Henry Stephenson has a suprisingly good Omaha/8 section. I got it for free at one of my trade shows.

I has started off by reading Ray Zee's book...and found it a bit overwhelming. I even cracked open Bobby Baldwins section in SS2. Frankly, if you are new to the game, Stephensons book is the best introduction I have yet seen. It is not because it is any better than any other Omaha/8 book out there...I'm sure it is not--the point is that he relates the initial concepts better than anyone I have seen. You have to 'understand' before you can begin to excel.
After reading that section, I was able to pick up Zee's book and it all began to make sense to me.

---Leavenfish

greatwhite
09-29-2005, 07:49 PM
How come I never heard of Real Poker Night until now? How long is the o8 section?

Leavenfish
09-29-2005, 08:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How come I never heard of Real Poker Night until now? How long is the o8 section?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's really only about 20 pages long. You could probably read it in a bookstore and get what you need out of it. Like I said, he just 'explains' some concepts very well. The book just came out this year.

---Leavenfish