PDA

View Full Version : Can the Bellagio steal the WSOP?

mikelow
04-06-2003, 07:42 PM
I played at the Bellagio Saturday night. The games were pretty good. One thing I noticed was the removal of blackjack tables for their tournament. That's a first.

Also, I was overhearing a conversation about the possibility of the WSOP being "taken over" by the Bellagio--they would host a big event to supplant the Binion's event.

Could it happen? Considering the vast difference in the two venues, I think it would be great for poker. Sometimes you have to break tradition and start a new, improved one. Thoughts and comments appreciated.

David
04-07-2003, 01:06 AM
With the exploding popularity of poker in general and tournaments specifically and with the arrival in prime time of the WPT shows I believe it is finally time to move the world series from that, well, dump that it is played in now to a site more appropriate for the premier event in the poker world. Let's face it, even though The Horseshoe was once THE site for poker, it's time has passed.

Kurn, son of Mogh
04-07-2003, 01:04 PM
The change will probably be even bigger than just "taking over" the WSOP. The whole face of poker is changing. Read Andy Glazer's article in CardPlayer. There is a paradigm shift afoot.

As for the WSOP itself, the word is that Binion's is close to bankrupt, but they still own the trademark to "The World Series of Poker", so that in itself is a bargaining chip.

AmericanAirlines
04-07-2003, 02:09 PM
Hi KurnsonofMogh,
Is there an online copy of the "paradigm shift" article you'd mentioned?

What shift is afoot?

Sincerely,
AA

mike l.
04-07-2003, 02:25 PM
"they still own the trademark to "The World Series of Poker", so that in itself is a bargaining chip."

my guess is theyd sell it or rent it or whatever pretty readily.

RiverMel
04-07-2003, 03:01 PM
http://www.cardplayer.com/?sec=afeature&art_id=13182

jasonHoldEm
04-07-2003, 08:55 PM
I just wanted to chime in...

Do you think it's possible rather than belligio stealing the "WSOP" they just instead create a bigger (and better) tournament (I think they already have? Some 25K buy-in tournament?). Ultimately don't you think it will be the size of the payout that determines the world champion? Maybe so maybe not...interested to hear what you think.

peace,
jHE

mikelow
04-07-2003, 09:12 PM
Yeah, you could have a 25k world championship event.

And how 'bout those super satellites?

What I meant is the Bellagio could stage an event which would totally upstage the the WSOP, eventually replacing it
with a bigger and better event of their own.

Hobart
04-08-2003, 12:40 AM
Obviously the Bellagio is a much nicer site and is better funded than Binion's. However,Binion's is the Wrigley Field of poker. Can the New York Rangers or Yankees buy or steal a championship? Lets have the WSOP in New York and get it over with.

Kurn, son of Mogh
04-08-2003, 06:51 AM
Just one little detail to overcome - the law. Plus, it'll be pretty hard for NY to compete with Vegas as a the host city. NYC may be the center of eveything else, but Vegas is the center of gambling.