PDA

View Full Version : Blind battle against Rock

gh9801
08-23-2005, 04:38 PM
Villain 14/4/2.5 over ~60 hands

Party Poker 3.00/6.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(10 handed)</font> link (http://www.darksun.lunarpages.com/poker/)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4.00 SB) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.00 BB) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (9.00 BB) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11.00 BB.

Comments?

thesharpie
08-23-2005, 04:49 PM
I prefer raising the flop. Fold the river the way you played unless he's just a tight LAG.

sy_or_bust
08-23-2005, 04:51 PM
This plays much easier if you 3-bet preflop. Definitely raise the flop, and don't discount the likelihood that Villain holds a real hand.

Nick C
08-23-2005, 05:01 PM
I'd probably raise the flop, when my chances of improving were better. But your turn raise is scarier. This may not be such a terrific board for you in terms of fold equity, though, regardless of the line you take.

After your turn raise gets 3-bet, I doubt catching a 6 is going to be enough. But SB could be playing AK/AQ like the nuts, and it's possible you're good often enough to call.

These blind versus blind encounters are very difficult for me sometimes. I mean, I doubt you'd seen SB play very many blind battles in just 60 hands, and you probably didn't have a lot of information about how he approached such situations.

And then, after you learned whatever you did about him during this posted hand, there's a good chance he left the table within the next two orbits. (I don't know. It seems like that's how it works for me, a lot of the time.)

gh9801
08-23-2005, 05:19 PM
How good or bad is this river call? Should I have the odds to call this?

I usually raise flop here, but at this table everytime I raised the turn I had a legit hand at showdown, so I was hoping he caught onto that and thought I'd have more FE on the turn

SackUp
08-23-2005, 05:32 PM
raise preflop, raise the flop. fold the river. He 3 bet the turn. What is a rock 3betting the turn with that your rivered 6 beats?

gh9801
08-23-2005, 05:37 PM
AK/AQ, with the K of diamonds or without the K of diamonds, sure I lose to everything else but he probably figures I'm solid (I have been playing solidly and well up to this point) and that I'd know he was rockish. So he could be using that against me too

Nick C
08-23-2005, 05:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
raise preflop, raise the flop. fold the river. He 3 bet the turn. What is a rock 3betting the turn with that your rivered 6 beats?

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, Villain hasn't been passive postflop and is looking more like a mouse than a rock. (Of course, that's just 60 hands, though, so who knows?) Also, this is a blind-versus-blind situation, and, because of that, SB could be playing more aggressively than he ordinarily does.

All the same, I would, in fact, probably fold the river. I wouldn't be entirely confident I hadn't just folded the best hand, though.

gh9801
08-23-2005, 05:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, Villain hasn't been passive postflop and is looking more like a mouse than a rock. (Of course, that's just 60 hands, though, so who knows?) Also, this is a blind-versus-blind situation, and, because of that, SB could be playing more aggressively than he ordinarily does.

All the same, I would, in fact, probably fold the river. I wouldn't be entirely confident I hadn't just folded the best hand, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me neither, I called just hoping he had ace high, and that's what he had (AQo)... but in the long run, is this good? At the moment I'm guessing probably not

brettbrettr
08-23-2005, 05:54 PM
I'd raise pre-flop and the flop way before I'd call them both and raise the turn.

The way it worked out I think you can probably fold the river.