PDA

View Full Version : in trouble at work.

cdxx
08-23-2005, 04:37 PM
ok, so i am in trouble at work. for poker related activities (of course). i must say that the summer of poker has gotten me almost addicted (or addicted) depending on what you want to call it. i've had days earlier in the summer when i'd skip work in favor of playing mindlessly online for 12 hours. but the trouble did not come then. i was at work late, after business hours, basically done for the day with working, and i didn't feel ready to drive home yet, so i sat there playing for an hour when a co-worker (more like boss-level but not my boss) caught me.

anyway, i know it's addictive, and i need to stop constantly thinking about poker. detox so to speak. what do i do about the job? it is not really awkward (yet) but i probably need to show them i am trustworthy and professional.

irishpint
08-23-2005, 04:41 PM
not post here during hours?

jackdaniels
08-23-2005, 04:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO!!!

swede123
08-23-2005, 04:44 PM
You should quit your job and become a pro. It really seems like you are ready to take the plunge. If you can play poker online for 12 hours a day I can see you easily making $400K the first year of play.

Swede

jakethebake
08-23-2005, 04:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You should quit your job and become a pro. It really seems like you are ready to take the plunge. If you can play poker online for 12 hours a day I can see you easily making $400K the first year of play.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

Well now we know who owns the Bad Advice Guy gimmick and forgot to change over. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

BusterStacks
08-23-2005, 04:45 PM
try playing poker for more than a few months. that should clear you right up.

swede123
08-23-2005, 04:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

Well now we know who owns the Bad Advice Guy gimmick and forgot to change over. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish. My favorite gimmick account of all time, and he doesn't overuse it.

Swede

08-23-2005, 04:48 PM
Joey, do you like movies about gladiators?

jakethebake
08-23-2005, 04:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Joey, do you like movies about gladiators?

[/ QUOTE ]

so now everyone is going to use lines from their favorite gimmick?

BusterStacks
08-23-2005, 04:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

so now everyone is going to use lines from their favorite gimmick?

[/ QUOTE ]

ever been in a Turkish prison?

cdxx
08-23-2005, 04:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

not at work today.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

umm... no.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

been playing for over a year. when is it going to clear up.

BusterStacks
08-23-2005, 04:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

probably when you realize you have an unhealthy addiction to gambling.

HopeydaFish
08-23-2005, 04:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When the money is all gone...or when the crew from "Intervention" shows up at your door. Whatever comes first.

08-23-2005, 04:56 PM
we're all addicts here, unless you want to argue that posting on a poker forums, reading 10 books about poker, and using hand history analyzers are not the signs of addiction.

stabn
08-23-2005, 04:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
we're all addicts here, unless you want to argue that posting on a poker forums, reading 10 books about poker, and using hand history analyzers are not the signs of addiction.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who does any of that [censored]?

Slacker13
08-23-2005, 04:58 PM
Ever seen a grown man naked?

BreakfastBurrito
08-23-2005, 05:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't think they are. I did have an unhealthy obsession with the game at one point, and I think the OP does to, but this isn't necessarily the same as a gambling addiction.

I've done all the things you've described, but have a relatively normal life while multitabling for about an hour a day for some side income. Anything you are interested in and/or want to be good at is going to take up a good amount of time, so I don't know why poker would be any different.

People are going to waste time at work. If not here, I would probably be wasting my time playing some yahoo game or perusing some sports message board. Or just in someone else's office bothering them. I certainly wouldn't be addicted to any of those activities.

HopeydaFish
08-23-2005, 05:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There are people who do the above because poker is a hobby, there are those who do those things because it is their livelihood, and there are those who do it because they're addicted. I'd say the vast majority of the posters on here fall into one of the first two categories, not the third.

And this is no longer a conversation appropriate to OOT.

08-23-2005, 05:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ok, so i am in trouble at work. for poker related activities (of course). i must say that the summer of poker has gotten me almost addicted (or addicted) depending on what you want to call it. i've had days earlier in the summer when i'd skip work in favor of playing mindlessly online for 12 hours. but the trouble did not come then. i was at work late, after business hours, basically done for the day with working, and i didn't feel ready to drive home yet, so i sat there playing for an hour when a co-worker (more like boss-level but not my boss) caught me.

anyway, i know it's addictive, and i need to stop constantly thinking about poker. detox so to speak. what do i do about the job? it is not really awkward (yet) but i probably need to show them i am trustworthy and professional.

[/ QUOTE ]

Appologize and move on. People make mistakes.

RacersEdge
08-23-2005, 05:32 PM
Well what happened? Did he pull you up by your ear? Did he tell your boss? Do you have to meet with someone from the HR department?

08-23-2005, 05:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, he's not bothering anyone, let him stay here.

The Stranger
08-23-2005, 06:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Addiction = Continuing behavior despite negative consequences.

DavidC
08-23-2005, 06:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

truer words have never been spoken.

and spend more time on OOT while you're at it. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

There are clinics that can literally do detox for gambling, so there's a potential solution.

cdxx
08-24-2005, 01:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Appologize and move on. People make mistakes.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow. 20 responses and only one real answer. thanks, Richard.