PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have the Jambalaya recipe to end all Jambalya recipes?

DarkForceRising
08-23-2005, 04:25 PM
I whipped up Jakes' chili recipe he posted for tbach24 a while back. It rocks in spite of the fact that I skipped the stew beef.

Step up, Louisiana guys. Or are you gonna let Texas go two for two?

samjjones
08-23-2005, 04:30 PM
I'm not from Louisiana, but this is my recipe. I do not like seafood, so shrimp/crawfish do not make an appearance here. But they are easily added.

Makes 8 main dish or 16 appetizer servings
4 tablespoons spice blend
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 bay leaves
½ teaspoon ground sage
1 teaspoon crushed thyme
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
½ teaspoon salt
½ lb. andouille sausage, diced (about 2 cups)
¾ lb. chopped tasso ham (about 2 cups)
1 ½ lb. boneless chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces (about 3 cups)
1 ½ cups chopped onions, in all
1 cup chopped celery, in all
1 cup chopped green bell pepper, in all
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 ½ cups tomato sauce
2 cups diced tomatoes
5 cups chicken stock
3 cups uncooked long grain rice

Directions
1. Saute andouille sausage and ham in large saucepan over high heat until meat starts to brown, about 3 minutes. Add the chicken and continue cooking, stirring frequently and scraping the pan bottom well, until the chicken is browned, about 3 to 5 minutes.
2. Stir in the seasoning mix (spice blend, sage, thyme, salt, cayenne pepper), and add garlic, onion, celery, and green pepper. Cook until tender, stirring almost constantly and scraping the pan bottom as needed, about 5 to 8 minutes.
3. Add chopped tomatoes, tomato sauce, rice and chicken stock. Mix well and cover with a lid. Cook without stirring over low-medium heat for 25-30 minutes, or until rice is fluffy. Taste while cooking and adjust spices accordingly.

Edit: "spice blend" is a combination of cayenne pepper, salt, black pepper, white pepper, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and thyme.

DarkForceRising
08-23-2005, 04:38 PM
Thanks, Sam. Looks good. I agree about the seafood thing. I like it, otherwise, but not in Jambalaya or pasta.

2planka
08-24-2005, 07:55 AM
Bourbon Street Jambalaya

Ingredients
1 cup veg. oil
1 pound hot smoked sausage, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 pound authentic andouille sausage, also cut into 1 inch pieces
3-5 pounds chicken (I use boneless breast, but you could use bone in chicken for a little more flavor), cut into rough 1 inch cubes.
Salt and pepper to taste
3 large white onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1 cup diced (1/4 inch) celery
1 large red bell pepper, diced
1 large green bell pepper, diced
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon dried basil
½ teaspoon cayanne pepper (use ¼ tsp for less heat)
2 cups long grain brown rice
½ cup bourbon
4 cups defatted chicken broth
1 cup prepared tomato sauce
¾ cup tomato paste
2 pounds uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
¾ cup fresh parsley, chopped
6-pack of Blackened Voodoo Ale

1. Open one bottle of Blackened Voodoo ale, take generous sip. Heat the oil in a large heavy pot over medium heat (I use the biggest stock pot I have). Add both sausages and cook until browned, turning pieces often. Use a slotted spoon to transfer them to a bowl when done, and set aside. Finish drinking the ale.
2. Open second bottle of ale and drink. Coat chicken pieces with pepper and salt, to taste. Add chicken to the pot in batches. Brown all over, about 10 minutes per batch. Remove and place chicken pieces in the bowl with the sausages.
3. Drink third bottle of ale. Add onions to the pot and cook over low heat until wilted (adding a pinch or two of salt helps). Then add garlic, celery, both peppers, bay leaves, basil, and cayanne. Cook for 10 minutes. (For extra flavor, add a generous dash of your favorite hot sauce at the 5 minute mark).
4. Toss back the fourth beer, try to focus. Add the rice to the vegetables and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes (pay very close attention to the heat… the rice can scald). Add bourbon and stir for 5 minutes more (to allow alcohol to evaporate). Return the sausage and chicken to the pot. Add the broth, tomato sauce, and tomato paste and bring to a boil (Again PAY VERY CLOSE ATTENTION TO HEAT AND STIR CONTINUOUSLY).
5. On to beer number 5. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, covered, for 20-30 minutes, stirring frequently.
6. Consume remaining Blackened Voodoo Ale during this last step. Stir in the shrimp and the parsley and cook, covered, until the shrimp is cooked through, 5 minutes. After the shrimp is cooked I usually let the jambalaya relax, covered, cooling in the fridge for about 2-3 hours (place a potholder under the stockpot). I then warm it in a crock pot (in batches) before adjusting seasonings. I find that relaxing the batch draws out the flavors so you’re less likely to overdo it on, say cayanne or hot sauce. Allowing the stuff to relax also softens the rice. If you serve it right away, the rice will be crunchy.

Serves 8 to 10.

moondogg
08-24-2005, 08:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks, Sam. Looks good. I agree about the seafood thing. I like it, otherwise, but not in Jambalaya or pasta.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jambalaya without shrimp is like a bowling ball without a liquid center.

megantw
08-24-2005, 11:13 AM
Creole Jambalaya (the red kind)

1. Heat about a quarter cup of vegetable oil in a large pot or (preferably) a Dutch oven. Add a small fryer chicken, cut, bone-in or about four pounds of bone-in chicken and about two pounds of smoked or (preferably) Andouille sausage. Brown the chicken all over until it somewhat sticks to the pan.
2. Add the two choped onions, two chopped bell peppers, two chopped sticks of celery, and two chopped cloves of garlic. Saute until they start to wilt and the onions get translucent. DON'T LET THE ONION OR GARLIC GET BROWN.
3. Add two cups of seafood stock or oyster water (if using oysters) and five cups of water. I've heard of people using chicken stock when they don't have seafood stock, but I dunno.
4. Add a few dashes of tabasco and worchestershire sauce. Season as you like. I put in a bay leaf, some thyme, some Tony's (Creole seasoning) and salt if your seasoning doesn't already have salt in it.
5. Bring everything to a boil. Make sure to scrape up the yummy brown bits from the bottom. Lower the heat to just above a simmer, but not a rolling boil, and cook for 30 minutes.
6. Remove the chicken. Add four cups of PARBOILED rice. Uncle Ben's is parboiled, I think. Stir it into the other ingredients, cover the pot, and lower the heat so the pot just simmers.
7. Remove the chicken meat from the bones and set aside.
8. When the rice is cooked, stir in the chicken some green onions, parsley, and seafood. I use a pound or two of shrimp, but most people like oysters. My mom just uses more chicken to begin with and omits the seafood. I also put in a can of crushed tomatoes at this point. I'm not sure how big the can is, but I'm guessing it's about two cups' worth.

Stir all the ingredients and continue to cook uncovered at a simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring every two minutes or so. Add water, salt, and Tabasco to get the texture and flavor you like.

This makes a LOT of Jambalaya.

THWAP!
08-24-2005, 11:19 AM
try this: you can add different types of meat, if you want. this is a relatively simple recipe, but it works wonders.

http://www.gumbopages.com/food/jambalaya-gautreau.html

megantw
08-24-2005, 11:39 AM
You have to make a roux for this jambalaya. It's worth it.

1. Season about 4 pounds of bone-in chicken with some salt and pepper. I like thighs, but sometimes I use a whole fryer (cut, of course).
2. In a heavy pot or Dutch oven, brown about a pound of smoked sausage (should be around medium high heat). Take out the sausage and brown the chicken in the sausage fat. Drain off any ridiculous amount of fat left behind.
3. Reduce the heat, add two large chopped yerrow onions, two chopped bell peppers and two or three chopped sticks of celery. Saute this until the onions become translucent. This takes me about fifteen minutes.
4. Add in some thyme and basil. I use just a sprinkle of dried thyme (not even a spoonfull) and some fresh chopped basil, just a few leaves. Also put in some salt and peper. Saute for a few minutes.
5. Stir in about four tablespoons of dark roux and let cook for a few minutes to get it good and hot.
6. Slowly add chicken stock (up to two cups) until the mixture is a little thicker than a gumbo but not as thick as a stew.
7. Add a few dashes of tabasco. I also put in some cayenne here. Let the mixture simmer slowly for about 20 minutes, stirring often.
8. Add the sausage and chicken, cover, and cook over low heat until the chicken is very tender, stirring occasionally. A younger fryer will take 45 minutes to an hour; an older fryer or roasting chicken may take longer. Meanwhile, steam two cups of uncooked rice. I like parboiled in Jambalaya.
You have some options here. You can remove the chicken and pull it off the bone, then stir it back into the base, or you can remove it to a seperate plate and just serve it alongside the portion of rice and sauce. You can also either stir some base into the rice or schlop the base over the rice. Either way, unless you make more rice, you'll have some base leftover. It freezes well. Serve with chopped fresh (flat) parsley and green onions on top.

For both the recipes, just make sure you taste and season appropriately before serving.