PDA

View Full Version : Missed Opportunity For David To Promote 'The System'

Bill Murphy
04-06-2003, 06:37 PM
If DS had any inkling that Binion's was gwinter free-roll Matt Damon & Ed Norton into the '98 WSOP he should've tried mightily to give them a System tutorial like the one he gave Miss Stupak. A final table appearance by either would've garnered googleplexes ay publicity more than one by some writer (BTW, David, did you offer the System to McManus? Doubtful it woulda improved on his 5th place finish, but stiil).

Assuming the cards came out the same(which they obv'ly would nae huv), the System don't keep Damon from getting broke w/KK tae Doyle's AA, but it mighta kept Norton fae going broke w/a canoe. Dunno if Sunar calls an all-in pre-flop w/TT; Norton had 99. I may not be remembering the hands & position correctly, but the final chips went in on the river. I believe the board was something like T9x-x-T.

I remember reading that Norton was much more serious about learning poker than Damon was, plus he's a smart lad, so he certainly could've handled the adjustments for blinds+antes & position that David would've given him, had he survived the first day. It's not mentioned in the current CP article, but I'm sure you need to factor the antes in to these calculations.

Remember, '98 was the year only 5 played on the last day, so there was a seat open for Ed. Pity, imagine a final four ay Scotty, McBride, TJ & the movie star. But, David likely had no prior knowledge, nor access tae the lads even if he did.