PDA

View Full Version : Are people this stupid? Does this even count as being stupid?

irishpint
08-23-2005, 03:04 PM
At a bar last night with two girls- both just graduated college. One from New York, one from San Franscico. Both were convinced that Nebraska boarders Canada. I am not kidding. Are they stupid? (I would argue that not knowing States= not knowing countries and what's going on in the world). The bartender called them idiots. I agreed.

Shajen
08-23-2005, 03:06 PM
TTIUWP

TheBlueMonster
08-23-2005, 03:06 PM
they're not stupid..a lot of people don't know geography (even basic geography that any 11 year old could tell you). Just watch "jay walking" with Leno...most people know less than you think!

irishpint
08-23-2005, 03:07 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />
TTIUWP

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont know what this means.

BillNye
08-23-2005, 03:09 PM
nobodys stupid, we all are smart at something

im smart at science (and getting the ladies)
sup bro is smart at his stats
dead is smart at making people hate him

we all are smart

BusterStacks
08-23-2005, 03:09 PM
dude, OOT should be proof enough of people's stupidity. I've never felt so glad that some people's job will forever be to serve me coffee as when I read this forum. There is truly no limit to human stupidity.

Shajen
08-23-2005, 03:10 PM
cream, two sugars, right?

durron597
08-23-2005, 03:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

im smart at sucking (and getting the men)
im smart at making people hate me

we all are smart

[/ QUOTE ]

BusterStacks
08-23-2005, 03:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

fcukin right baby

kyro
08-23-2005, 03:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

im smart at sucking (and getting the men)
im smart at making people hate me

we all are smart

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

unless i missed a post a long time ago, this is one of the worst FYPs I've ever seen.

BusterStacks
08-23-2005, 03:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

unless i missed a post a long time ago, this is one of the worst FYPs I've ever seen.

[/ QUOTE ]

see my post within this thread.

tdarko
08-23-2005, 03:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i dont know what this means.

[/ QUOTE ]
just like those girls didn't know about the dokota's huh?

wayabvpar
08-23-2005, 03:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
At a bar last night with two girls- both just graduated college. One from New York, one from San Franscico. Both were convinced that Nebraska boarders Canada. I am not kidding. Are they stupid? (I would argue that not knowing States= not knowing countries and what's going on in the world). The bartender called them idiots. I agreed.

[/ QUOTE ]

If they grew up and were educated in the United States, then they need to go give their degrees back. That is pathetic.

kyro
08-23-2005, 03:25 PM
Honestly, I don't think knowing where certain states are qualifies as stupid. My girlfriend didn't realize New Hampshire bordered Canada and she's pretty smart. I think it has to do with ignorance and unawareness rather than intelligence.

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-23-2005, 03:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I know two completely unrelated people from two completely different places who both thought Hawaii was off the coast of Florida because that's where its inset is on the map.

BusterStacks
08-23-2005, 03:29 PM
stop making excuses. if there weren't stupid people, there wouldn't be smart people.

wayabvpar
08-23-2005, 03:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I know two completely unrelated people from two completely different places who both thought Hawaii was off the coast of Florida because that's where its inset is on the map.

[/ QUOTE ]

So what type of hammer did you hit them in the head with? Ball Peen? Claw? Mallet?

LSUfan1
08-23-2005, 03:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Honestly, I don't think knowing where certain states are qualifies as stupid. My girlfriend didn't realize New Hampshire bordered Canada and she's pretty smart. I think it has to do with ignorance and unawareness rather than intelligence.

[/ QUOTE ]

One flaw in your argument here. New Hampshire is NORTH eastern, so it could be close....Nebraska is MID western. That's fairly common knowledge, not to mention that my 4th grader learned it last year.

I do agree that a lack of knowledge in geography does not make someone stupid, but this is borderline in my opinion.

TheMainEvent
08-23-2005, 03:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Have they ever been to a little island called Rand McNally?

wayabvpar
08-23-2005, 03:35 PM
Intellectual laziness and a total lack of curiousity about even the most mundane things might not equal stupidity, but I would argue that there is a high correlation.

Patrick del Poker Grande
[ QUOTE ]
One flaw in your argument here. New Hampshire is NORTH eastern, so it could be close....Nebraska is MID western.

[/ QUOTE ]
The "Mid" in Midwest doesn't have anything to do with how far North or South the states are.

BusterStacks
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Have they ever been to a little island called Rand McNally?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's in the Bahamas, right? I hear it's beautiful /images/graemlins/grin.gif

M2d
08-23-2005, 03:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

fcukin right baby

[/ QUOTE ]
keep that up and you'll get a special shot of cream in your next cup of joe

BusterStacks
08-23-2005, 03:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

fcukin right baby

[/ QUOTE ]
keep that up and you'll get a special shot of cream in your next cup of joe

[/ QUOTE ]

that's cool, i'll talk to your boss and put you on welfare like your mother.

MrMon
08-23-2005, 03:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
At a bar last night with two girls- both just graduated college. One from New York , one from San Franscico . Both were convinced that Nebraska boarders Canada. I am not kidding. Are they stupid? (I would argue that not knowing States= not knowing countries and what's going on in the world). The bartender called them idiots. I agreed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, here's the key. To them, Nebraska is flyover country. It's all one big <font color="red">red</font> state in the middle, no civilization or nothing. If it's all one big <font color="red"> red</font> state, then it really does border Canada.

Note: We've got idiots in the middle too. Like the person I met who lives here in Missouri, yet thinks Ohio is the state directly to the north.

imported_The Vibesman
08-23-2005, 03:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
convinced that Nebraska boarders Canada.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's borders . Stupid. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

durron597
08-23-2005, 03:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh, poor impulse control on my part.

kyro
08-23-2005, 03:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Intellectual laziness and a total lack of curiousity about even the most mundane things might not equal stupidity, but I would argue that there is a high correlation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh I completely agree with you. It's not the case here, though. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

flatline
08-23-2005, 04:01 PM
This is not stupidity(lack of mental ability), it is ignorance(lack of knowledge). However there is a great likelyhood that these girls are also stupid.

Dominic
08-23-2005, 04:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

we all are smart

[/ QUOTE ]

you know? you're an idiot. We aren't all smart. Only smart people are smart. That's why we have the designation "smart."

Dominic
08-23-2005, 04:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

we all are smart

[/ QUOTE ]

you know what? you're an idiot. We aren't all smart. Only smart people are smart. That's why we have the designation "smart."

irishpint
08-23-2005, 04:05 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

damn. you got me. i give up, i was the stupid girl from san franscico.

asb165
At a strip club in Vegas, I was talking to one of the girls. She asked where I was from, and I told her "Philadelphia".

"Where is that, in Pittsburgh?"

"No, Philadelphia is a city that's in Pennsylvania. So is Pittsburgh. It's like Las Vegas is in Nevada."

"Oh, whatever, I'm not a geology major."

"Can I get a dance please?"

irishpint

we all are smart

[/ QUOTE ]

you know what? you're an idiot. We aren't all smart. Only smart people are smart. That's why we have the designation "smart."

[/ QUOTE ]

i totally [censored] agree.

miajag81
08-23-2005, 04:06 PM
Yes, they were stupid, as are at least 95% of people. I don't get how people can not know basic geography. This is right up there with not knowing that "a lot" is two separate words.

irishpint
08-23-2005, 04:08 PM
i think it's hard to say someone is smart or stupid because of this one fact. however it makes me sick that you can grow up here in America, going to college, graduate, and not know or have any correct idea where a state is. i dont think that's right. i did however make the situation worse by saying that the reason they dont know where nebraska was is due to the fact that they are from cali and NY and thus are 'arrogant assholes'.

Bulldog
08-23-2005, 04:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
One flaw in your argument here. New Hampshire is NORTH eastern, so it could be close....Nebraska is MID western.

[/ QUOTE ]
The "Mid" in Midwest doesn't have anything to do with how far North or South the states are.

[/ QUOTE ]

Word. The first image I found when googling for "midwest map" was a map that included three states with land bordering Canada.

Bulldog
08-23-2005, 04:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

damn. you got me. i give up, i was the stupid girl from san franscico.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that anywhere near San Francisco?

irishpint
08-23-2005, 04:09 PM
Yes, they were stupid, as are at least 95% of people. I don't get how people can not know basic geography. This is right up there with not knowing that "a lot" is two separate words.

[/ QUOTE ]

allright, i agree. but your kidding about alot, write?

Grisgra
08-23-2005, 04:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Okay, here's the key. To all but perhaps seven or eight people, Nebraska is flyover country. It's all one big <font color="red">red</font> state in the middle, no civilization or nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

dibbs
08-23-2005, 04:21 PM
I'm pretty sure ignorant is a more correct description. Just goes to show ya how a college degree probably isn't close to what it used to be. Then again, if someone graduates with a degree in advanced trig, does that mean they're an idiot if they dont know Thailand borders Malaysia? Or that California borders Oregon? Should they know the own country they grow up in? Sounds like ignorance I think. Here's to semantics.

id·i·ot

1. A foolish or stupid person.
2. A person of profound mental retardation having a mental age below three years and generally being unable to learn connected speech or guard against common dangers. The term belongs to a classification system no longer in use and is now considered offensive.

To clarify on "stupid" person.

stu·pid

1. Slow to learn or understand; obtuse.
2. Tending to make poor decisions or careless mistakes.
3. Marked by a lack of intelligence or care; foolish or careless: a stupid mistake.
4. Dazed, stunned, or stupefied.
5. Pointless; worthless: a stupid job.

ig·no·rant

1. Lacking education or knowledge.
2. Showing or arising from a lack of education or knowledge: an ignorant mistake.
3. Unaware or uninformed.

All taken from dictionary.com

irishpint
08-23-2005, 04:22 PM

Should they know the own country they grow up in?

[/ QUOTE ]

i would hope so.

ddubois
08-23-2005, 04:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
were convinced that Nebraska boarders Canada

[/ QUOTE ]
They are stupid because they were so certain of something untrue. Whereas I on the other hand, am practicing rational ignorance, because I neither know, nor care, what Nebraska borders.

Marlow
08-23-2005, 04:54 PM
That deserves a:

[ QUOTE ]
dude, OOT should be proof enough of people's stupidity. I've never felt so glad that some people's job will forever be to serve me coffee as when I read this forum. There is truly no limit to human stupidity.

[/ QUOTE ]

But jumpin' blue Jesus, this OOT thing is good stuff.

Marlow

gulebjorn
08-23-2005, 05:06 PM
1. I have no idea where Nebraska is
2. How many of you can name three countries Belgium borders to?
(without looking at a map)

-Skeme-
08-23-2005, 05:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
it has to do with unawareness rather than intelligence.

[/ QUOTE ]

durron597
08-23-2005, 05:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Holland France Germany Luxemborg (I probably spelled that wrong)

imported_anacardo
08-23-2005, 05:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1) Smack dab in the middle.
2) France, The Netherlands, Luxembourg. What do I win?

felson
08-23-2005, 06:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You have a good excuse for not knowing where Nebraska is. These girls do not.

lapoker17
08-23-2005, 06:32 PM
Vegas Strip Club:

Girl: "what do you do for a living?"

My Buddy: "I'm a currency trader"

Girl: "Doesn't it get boring in that little booth?"

Dave G.
08-23-2005, 06:33 PM
I don't think Geography is much of an indication of intelligence. Maybe they just don't care enough about it to have studied it, or they never travelled much. I'm sure if I wanted to dedicate the time to learning all the US states / cities and where they are, I could. But I just don't give a rats ass about it. I'm from Australia though, so that's my excuse.

Intelligence is more related to the ability to critically think about a situation and draw a reasonable conclusion. Being "book smart" might be knowing where every city and every state is. Just because they aren't "book smart" doesn't mean they aren't intelligent.

However, I admit, if it were me talking to these girls from Australia, and they didn't know what the capital of Australia was, it would totally ruin any chance of a boner.

ILL34GL3
08-23-2005, 06:39 PM
It's one thing to be ignorant of Nebraska's location on a map.

It's downright stupid to say Nebraska borders Canada.

CORed
08-23-2005, 07:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
were convinced that Nebraska boarders Canada

[/ QUOTE ]
They are stupid because they were so certain of something untrue. Whereas I on the other hand, am practicing rational ignorance, because I neither know, nor care, what Nebraska borders.

[/ QUOTE ]

From memory, so I might miss a state: Colorado, Wyoming, South Dakota, Iowa, Missouri, Kansas.

CORed
08-23-2005, 07:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Netherlands, Germany, France, Luxembourg.

CORed
08-23-2005, 07:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1) Smack dab in the middle.
2) France, The Netherlands, Luxembourg. What do I win?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I believe that the geographic center of the 48 conterminous states is in Kansas, so Nebraska is a little north of smack dab in the middle.

08-24-2005, 12:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

good one.

polltard

antidan444
08-24-2005, 01:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As a journalist, it amazes me how many fellow journalists don't know this.

08-24-2005, 02:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]The funniest part is the chicks telling their friends that two idiots they met last night were convinced that they were convinced Nebraska borders Canada.

ChipWrecked
08-24-2005, 02:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Easy, sorry. Hitler never invaded Nebraska.

edfurlong
08-24-2005, 04:06 AM
I have met people (americans) IN COSTA RICA that thought they were on an island.

tomdemaine
08-24-2005, 05:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Vegas Strip Club:

Girl: "what do you do for a living?"

My Buddy: "I'm a currency trader"

Girl: "Doesn't it get boring in that little booth?"

[/ QUOTE ]

ok so now we need to have a stupid thing vegas strippers have said to you thread

GimmeDaWatch
08-24-2005, 07:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Alot of people arent very good at geography. Anybody catch the Beauty and the Geek recap? They had a blank map of the US and when asked to point to Montana I think her 1st pick was Pennsylvania if I remember correctly. Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice. I had a girl ask me if the Sun was star once. I had a girl respond to my question of "Are you going to a Christian church for your class?" with "No, its a Catholic church". My stepmother once asked me after I had used the term, "What's a Native American", and then when I told her followed that up with "Are Mexicans Native Americans?" I had an argument with a girl once who insisted that water was
NOT a renewable resource. Misogyny is yummy /images/graemlins/smile.gif .

GimmeDaWatch
08-24-2005, 07:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
they're not stupid..a lot of people don't know geography (even basic geography that any 11 year old could tell you). Just watch "jay walking" with Leno...most people know less than you think!

[/ QUOTE ]

Jay-walking is a ridiculously scripted farce. If not scripted, people are at least clearly told to blurt out the 1st silly thing that pops into their heads. If I werent told that, I might just say something retarded just to make it on TV. Im sucha sucker for attention.

GimmeDaWatch
08-24-2005, 07:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]

we all are smart

[/ QUOTE ]

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL. You ever see Scott Stapp play poker? Very PC/Geigh of you, though.