PDA

View Full Version : One of the hardest decisions ever

durron597
08-23-2005, 02:16 PM
Well, for me anyway.

Also, feel free to post nominations for other cartoons that should be in this poll, but because I know I will be incomplete I'll just leave them all out and leave the big 3 (edit: big 3 is defined to mean cartoons that made it to primetime non-cable, which is why South Park would be ineligible for this poll, but of course should have been on the alternate list in the fist place).

Edit: if you think some of the ones on the alternate list are bad, feel free to say so.

Others for (maybe) future:
Aqua Teen Hunger Force
Sealab 2021
Harvey Birdman, Attorney at law
Space Ghost
The Oblongs
American Dad
Mission Hill

Edited additions:
South Park
Looney Toons
Ren and Stimpy
The Tick
Duckman

imported_The Vibesman
08-23-2005, 02:16 PM
Uhh, South Park?

Grisgra
08-23-2005, 02:17 PM
Family Guy has really been doing it for me lately, otherwise I'd go with Futurama. The Simpsons hasn't been really good for years.

imported_The Vibesman
08-23-2005, 02:18 PM
Stripperella
Gary the Rat
Duckman
Home Movies
Kid Notorious

kerssens
08-23-2005, 02:19 PM
The Simpsons may not be the same but it's still my favorite.

durron597
08-23-2005, 02:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Uhh, South Park?

[/ QUOTE ]

Too late to change poll, but man I'm retarted.

durron597
08-23-2005, 02:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Duckman

[/ QUOTE ]

Haven't seen this is a long time but yeah.

[ QUOTE ]

Home Movies

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh.

[ QUOTE ]
Stripperella
Gary the Rat
Kid Notorious

[/ QUOTE ]

Never seen.

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-23-2005, 02:20 PM
Two words: Looney Tunes.

The Stranger
08-23-2005, 02:21 PM
ummm...Beavis and Butthead?

TheMainEvent
08-23-2005, 02:21 PM
Simpsons has sucked for some time now

durron597
08-23-2005, 02:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually never found this funny.

2planka
08-23-2005, 02:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Looney Tunes.

[/ QUOTE ]

That boy's 'bout as sharp as a bowlin' ball.

imported_The Vibesman
08-23-2005, 02:26 PM
Can't vote, as South Park's my favorite. I am always impressed by their finding ways to continually push the envelope. But I'm also a big fan of Simpsons, Family Guy, Futurama, The Oblongs, Kid Notorious, Stripperella, Gary the Rat, Duckman and Home Movies, even though half those are cancelled. I like cartoons.

I'm not a huge Harvey Birdman fan, but I saw one where his client was Fred Flintstone, who was portrayed as a mobster. The whole episode was given a Sopranos feel, with Fred's main place to be being a strip club called the Dabba Doo, and the theme song in the beginning going, "Woke up this morning, got no pants and shoes. (Got no, Got no) Got no pants and shoes, got no pants and shoes." I thought that was great.

The Stranger
08-23-2005, 02:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually never found this funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

well I was about 12 or 13 when this show was big, so it was perfect for me.

The Stranger
08-23-2005, 02:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I'm not a huge Harvey Birdman fan, but I saw one where his client was Fred Flintstone, who was portrayed as a mobster. The whole episode was given a Sopranos feel, with Fred's main place to be being a strip club called the Dabba Doo, and the theme song in the beginning going, "Woke up this morning, got no pants and shoes. (Got no, Got no) Got no pants and shoes, got no pants and shoes." I thought that was great.

[/ QUOTE ]

The one where Scooby and Shaggy were on trial for possession was classic too.

BusterStacks
08-23-2005, 02:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Uhh, South Park?

[/ QUOTE ]

South Park is a steaming turd and absolutely unfunny compared to any of the other choices. It's punishment to watch.

BillNye
08-23-2005, 02:29 PM
family guy

durron597
08-23-2005, 02:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not a huge Harvey Birdman fan, but I saw one where his client was Fred Flintstone, who was portrayed as a mobster.

[/ QUOTE ]

The best episode is by far the Apache Chief episode.

"Like when the power goes out in your house, but ... in my pants."

Priceless.

imported_The Vibesman
08-23-2005, 02:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Two words: Looney Tunes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looney Toons is the end all be all of cartoon existence. Bugs Bunny is the most talented actor ever, he does comedy, drama, love scenes, death scenes, can even act in drag. Not only can he play every musical instrument known to man, he has most of them hidden behind his back at any given time. Even though he still looks as good now as he did 50 years ago, I can guarantee he has never had plastic surgery.

imported_The Vibesman
08-23-2005, 02:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Uhh, South Park?

[/ QUOTE ]

South Park is a steaming turd and absolutely unfunny compared to any of the other choices. It's punishment to watch.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I'm a glutton for punishment. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Needless to say I don't agree. But comedy is one of the most subjective things out there. For example, I don't like Sealab 2021 at all, but there are those that think it's hilarious.

durron597
08-23-2005, 02:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Needless to say I don't agree. But comedy is one of the most subjective things out there. For example, I don't like Sealab 2021 at all, but there are those that think it's hilarious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sealab is very hit or miss. The bad episodes are terrible but the good ones are hilarious.

So is Aqua Teen, and Harvey Birdman, and most of adult swim.

imported_The Vibesman
08-23-2005, 02:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Duckman

[/ QUOTE ]

Haven't seen this is a long time but yeah.

[ QUOTE ]

Home Movies

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh.

[ QUOTE ]
Stripperella
Gary the Rat
Kid Notorious

[/ QUOTE ]

Never seen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stripperella and Gary The Rat were shows on Spike TV when the network first started up; Stripperella was a Stan Lee creation, with the voice of Pam Anderson as a superhero stripper. Gary the Rat was about a NYC lawyer who was transformed into a giant talking rat who walks upright and continues to practice law, and is I believe the only time in history Kelsey Grammer played someone other than Frasier Crane or Sideshow Bob.

Kid Notorious was a Comedy Central cartoon about and starring film producer Robert Evans of "The Godfather" and "Chinatown" fame. I can't describe it really, but it was pretty damn funny.

I like Home Movies mainly for the Coach McGuirk character.

imported_The Vibesman
08-23-2005, 02:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sealab is very hit or miss. The bad episodes are terrible but the good ones are hilarious.

So is Aqua Teen, and Harvey Birdman, and most of adult swim.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a friend who loves Aqua Teen. I have caught a bit of it (leaving the TV on while playing...something...and it comes on after Family Guy and Futurama) and it has had some funny bits.

2planka
08-23-2005, 02:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Looney Toons is the end all be all of cartoon existence. Bugs Bunny is the most talented actor ever, he does comedy, drama, love scenes, death scenes, can even act in drag. Not only can he play every musical instrument known to man, he has most of them hidden behind his back at any given time. Even though he still looks as good now as he did 50 years ago, I can guarantee he has never had plastic surgery.

[/ QUOTE ]

BB is also the best utility player in baseball. First base, Bugs Bunny. Second base, Bugs Bunny....

imported_The Vibesman
08-23-2005, 02:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

BB is also the best utility player in baseball. First base, Bugs Bunny. Second base, Bugs Bunny....

[/ QUOTE ]

Also a fantastic pitcher. "Watch me paralyze this palooka..."

Bulldog
08-23-2005, 02:46 PM
Wowee wow wow. So short-sighted, the voters. When Family Guy stays funny for about 12 more years, maybe this vote should be close.

TheMainEvent
08-23-2005, 02:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Oblongs

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the one where most of the characters are deformed, right? It really grosses me out. Can't watch it.

durron597
08-23-2005, 02:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wowee wow wow. So short-sighted, the voters. When Family Guy stays funny for about 12 more years, maybe this vote should be close.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's about quality not quantity. Family guy bareeeeeeeeely edged it out for me.

BusterStacks
08-23-2005, 02:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

alright, name 3 cartoon shows that have gone on 14 years (12 + the 2 years so far) that could have been on this poll instead.

yeah... stfu.

samjjones
08-23-2005, 02:59 PM
Justice League Unlimited is a pretty cool cartoon, if you are into D.C. superheroes.

durron597
08-23-2005, 03:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Justice League Unlimited is a pretty cool cartoon, if you are into D.C. superheroes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Omg. It doesn't hold a candle to the original Batman: The Animated Series.

But this was intended to be a "funny cartoon" poll not an "all cartoon" poll.

samjjones
08-23-2005, 03:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Omg. It doesn't hold a candle to the original Batman: The Animated Series.

But this was intended to be a "funny cartoon" poll not an "all cartoon" poll.

[/ QUOTE ]
No, its not as good as the original B:TAS from like 15 years ago, but it is good.

BusterStacks
08-23-2005, 03:02 PM
Batman: The Animated Series was incredible. [censored], I totally forgot about it, but it was awesome.

durron597
08-23-2005, 03:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Batman: The Animated Series was incredible. [censored], I totally forgot about it, but it was awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I know what my next splurge purchase is going to be (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0007XG4NM/ref=pd_cps_d_3/103-1461357-2016663?v=glance&s=dvd)

BusterStacks
08-23-2005, 03:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I know what my next splurge purchase is going to be (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0007XG4NM/ref=pd_cps_d_3/103-1461357-2016663?v=glance&s=dvd)

[/ QUOTE ]

O...M...G........done.

schwza
08-23-2005, 03:23 PM
clearly the answer is simpsons for history/contribution/influence, family guy for being the funniest (esp. now, but even against prime simpsons), and futurama sucks.

durron597
08-23-2005, 03:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and futurama sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/8222/wrong1os.jpg

MrMon
08-23-2005, 03:44 PM
SpongeBob.

gumpzilla
08-23-2005, 03:44 PM
I've never found Futurama to be anything but a slightly lamer version of the Simpsons. There are occasionally a couple of good jokes, that's about it. It's not a terrible show, but not a particularly good one, either.

I didn't like Family Guy at first, but it grew on me with time and I now respect it, though I don't go out of my way to watch it. I would definitely pick it over Futurama, and up against Simpsons I'd be hard pressed. Part of the problem was that Simpsons was in its golden age during a time period where I'd actually watch it every week.

I also have a hard time understanding people's fascination with Aqua Teen. It didn't even really do it for me when I was stoned.

durron597
08-23-2005, 04:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've never found Futurama to be anything but a slightly lamer version of the Simpsons.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, sorta. It's still awesome. Less than half a notch under Simpsons and Family guy, but still very high.

ddubois
08-23-2005, 04:17 PM
I've only seen one episode of Family Guy, and it was it was so devoid of anything amusing as to be completely unmemorable. So right now I'm working on the assumption that this is another over-hyped fad. Do I need to give it another chance?

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-23-2005, 04:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've only seen one episode of Family Guy, and it was it was so devoid of anything amusing as to be completely unmemorable. So right now I'm working on the assumption that this is another over-hyped fad. Do I need to give it another chance?

[/ QUOTE ]

durron597
08-23-2005, 04:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

AndysDaddy
08-23-2005, 04:28 PM
Two that will get panned here, I'm sure, and certainly not poll-worthy, but I liked 'em: Baby Blues & The Critic.
--
Scott

durron597
08-23-2005, 04:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Baby Blues

[/ QUOTE ]

This was a TV cartoon?

[ QUOTE ]
The Critic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another hit-or-miss cartoon with some gems.

TheBlueMonster
08-23-2005, 04:32 PM
yes you do

tolbiny
08-23-2005, 04:34 PM
"The Simpsons hasn't been really good for years."

This is true- but the first 9 seasons of the simpsons still pwns the rest of the list.

Bulldog
08-23-2005, 04:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

alright, name 3 cartoon shows that have gone on 14 years (12 + the 2 years so far) that could have been on this poll instead.

yeah... stfu.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quantity does matter, as does quality. Just because Family Guy is a solid #2 doesn't mean it belongs in the discussion for #1.

BusterStacks
08-23-2005, 04:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Quantity does matter, as does quality. Just because Family Guy is a solid #2 doesn't mean it belongs in the discussion for #1.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a stupid reply. You know what I was getting at with my first response.

phage
08-23-2005, 04:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Looney Tunes.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I always preferred-"He's about as sharp as a sack of wet mice"

durron597
08-23-2005, 04:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Looney Tunes.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I always preferred-"He's about as sharp as a sack of wet mice"

[/ QUOTE ]

Mice bite /images/graemlins/confused.gif

AndysDaddy
08-23-2005, 05:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Baby Blues

[/ QUOTE ]

This was a TV cartoon?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, briefly. Check it out. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0252753/)
It can be seen late at night on TBS on occasional Satudays. Have I mentioned before how much I love Tivo?
--
Scott

08-23-2005, 05:23 PM
O...M...G...

Futurama RULES

Have you people ever watched it??

IndieMatty
08-23-2005, 05:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
O...M...G...

Futurama RULES

[/ QUOTE ]

God, I keep hearing this from some people;every time I try and watch it--it seems unwatchable.

BusterStacks
08-23-2005, 05:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
O...M...G...

Futurama RULES

[/ QUOTE ]

God, I keep hearing this from some people;every time I try and watch it--it seems unwatchable.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, futurama is not as great as it's fans imagine, but it's entertaining usually.

PITTM
08-23-2005, 05:36 PM
i picked futurama, bender is my favorite cartoon character ever, and its not close.

rj

durron597
08-23-2005, 05:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i picked futurama, bender is my favorite cartoon character ever, and its not close.

rj

[/ QUOTE ]

And that is why futurama made the list /images/graemlins/smile.gif

08-23-2005, 05:39 PM
/images/graemlins/confused.gif for the love of pete...try again!

(course a sense of humor is kind of required)

durron597
08-23-2005, 06:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/confused.gif for the love of pete...try again!

(course a sense of humor is kind of required)

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the problems is that a lot of stuff from Futurama was current eventish, the first example that comes to mind is Kidnappster, but there were plenty more.

durron597
08-23-2005, 06:51 PM
Wow. A 73 vote tie. I guess this really was a difficult decision /images/graemlins/smile.gif

CCass
08-23-2005, 10:24 PM
<-----------

MarkL444
08-23-2005, 10:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Uhh, South Park?

[/ QUOTE ]

SpearsBritney
08-23-2005, 10:38 PM
South Park is easily the best cartoon ever created. And it's not even close to being close.

durron597
08-24-2005, 12:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
South Park is easily the best cartoon ever created. And it's not even close to being close.

[/ QUOTE ]

Note the OP says "primetime" shows, you ever see South Park on fox?

battschr
08-24-2005, 12:30 AM
The Simpsons.

blatz
08-24-2005, 12:44 AM
http://img373.imageshack.us/img373/8611/pinkybrain5kj.gif (http://imageshack.us)

durron597
08-24-2005, 01:10 AM
So awesome. How about 90% of the Animaniacs as a whole?

antidan444
08-24-2005, 01:22 AM
Just because I loved the show when I was growing up ...

Animaniacs

Edit: I even forgot Pinky and the Brain was part of it.