PDA

View Full Version : PP NL WSOP promo, hand analysis please.

Moose
04-06-2003, 12:55 PM
Guys, it's the semi-final table for the PP WSOP promo, session #2

blinds are 30/60. I have 900 or so. SB is solid player, don't know Big Blind from Adam. Table has been generally quite tight as to be expected.

3 fold to me. I have As Jd. I raise to 180.

All fold to BB.

Flop comes 8-4-2 with 2 diamonds. He checks. I check behind. Reasoning: I know nothing about this guy. I cannot imagine him just smooth calling in the BB with a hand like AK, AQ and expect him to fold on the flop if it misses, or just smooth call with a medium pair. I figure he has hit this flop at least a little bit.

Turn is the 4 putting 3 diamonds on board. He bets 60.

I call mostly because the bet is so cheap and I may still have two overcards as well as a flush draw.

River is the T of diamonds. He bets 300 of his last 600....

comments? Suggestions? Results in reply.

M.

Moose
04-06-2003, 12:59 PM
I call. This guy turns over A3o with the A of diamonds and I am pretty much down and out.

Later I would see this guy would defend just about anything in the BB for a big raise, including K8o. Wonder if knowing that would have let me make a bigger raise preflop or simply bet all-in on the flop knowing that I may well have the best..

M.

CrazyAzn
04-07-2003, 09:18 AM
im sorry to say, i think u were playing scared. why would u expect that your opponent hit a raggy 8 high flop??? u gotta BET your overcards to make his overcards fold... u said yourself that he would probably release his hand if he only held overcards and u bet the flop... i think checking this flop is disasterous.

peter

cferejohn
04-07-2003, 04:00 PM
I think you absolutely need to make a pot sized bet on the flop. If he has no pair, he will probably lay it down right there. If he comes back over the top, you should probably lay down. If he calls, be very wary and probably fold if he makes a reasonable turn bet. I'm guessing you lost to a bigger diamond.

Ouch. Well first of all, I really dislike his pre-flop call with A3o. Second, it seems pretty likely he would have folded to a pot-sized flop bet.

I'm not sure why you can't imagine him smooth calling w/AK or AQ and folding to a flop-bet. There are plenty of players who would do exactly this, especially qith AQ (AK is likely to have re-raised you pre-flop).