PDA

View Full Version : A swing and a miss!

AceHigh
04-06-2003, 12:26 PM
Loose, passive PP 2/4 game. I'm not familiar with many of the players, some passive, calling stations in game.

I'm utg+2, with A /forums/images/icons/heart.gif J /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif and raise. Middle position calls, button calls, BB calls. 4 see the flop for 8.5 sb.

Flop comes K-Q-6 with 2 hearts. How would you play this hand?

I bet the flop with my 1 overcard, gutshot draw and backdoor flush draw and only the button called. Only the button called.

Turn is 7 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif . I bet the turn.

River is 3 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif , I check, button checks.

Button takes it downs with Q4s.

Was I too aggressive? It seemed weak to play it check/fold on the turn, button could be calling with flush or straight draw.

Anybody play it differently?

Allan
04-06-2003, 02:11 PM
Hi Ace,

I think you played it fine. I probably play it the same. I also don't think there is anything wrong with check folding the turn here some of the time. I think you have to give your opponents a chance to see you betting flops and checkfolding the turn so they aren't scared to bet after you check to them on 4th, allowing you to get those checkraises in.

Allan

AceHigh
04-06-2003, 07:02 PM
"I also don't think there is anything wrong with check folding"

I knew the button was not folding any pair, so there was no point in bluffing/semi-bluffing. If I got called in 2 or 3 places I would've probably check/folded on the turn. But with just one loose caller, it didn't seem right to check/fold the turn, I dunno.

Allan
04-07-2003, 11:29 AM
I know what you mean.

Allan

Clarkmeister
04-07-2003, 02:48 PM
You have to bet. Not only can you get a better hand to fold sometimes (say a medium pocket pair), but you will also have the best hand sometimes, and even when you don't, you likely have 7 outs anyways.

RockLobster
04-07-2003, 03:08 PM
What do you think of the river check? That's probably how I would have played it, I'm just wondering if you (or anyone else) feels that you should take one last shot at it...

Clarkmeister
04-07-2003, 05:08 PM
You aren't going to like the answer but the decision to bet or not on the river is a combination of two factors:

1. The tendancies of the specific opponent you are against.
2. Some sort of randomization that compliments your overall strategy. You can neither bet nor check 100% of the time.

RockLobster
04-07-2003, 05:40 PM
I love the answer! I'm especially glad that it's not a cookie-cutter or obvious solution. Thanks Clarky!

AceHigh
04-07-2003, 06:27 PM
I'd rather make a mistake being aggressive, rather than passive so I guess I agree with you.

Check/fold on the turn seemed too weak and if I'm gonna call, I may as well bet.

AceHigh
04-07-2003, 06:30 PM
"1. The tendancies of the specific opponent you are against."

I've found on Paradise, most players on the river will not fold any pair on the river for 1 bet, if it's heads up. The looser, passive players will almost always call.

YMMV.