PDA

View Full Version : Semi-Bluff Raising the Turn

deception5
08-23-2005, 11:22 AM
Anyone like this line?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.33 SB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.16 BB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises...</font>

MrEngenic
08-23-2005, 11:24 AM
Yupp, I do.

imported_The Vibesman
08-23-2005, 11:26 AM
Sure. I just did something just like this last night.

Didn't work though. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

It's possible BB was just taking a shot at you on a ragged flop, and also possible he has a str8 draw which he can't like now. If he calls and checks the river to you, are you planning on firing again UI or taking the free showdown?

deception5
08-23-2005, 11:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It's possible BB was just taking a shot at you on a ragged flop, and also possible he has a str8 draw which he can't like now. If he calls and checks the river to you, are you planning on firing again UI or taking the free showdown?

[/ QUOTE ]

Free showdown unimproved. It's unlikely I'll win if he calls.

@bsolute_luck
08-23-2005, 11:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Sure. I just did something just like this last night.

Didn't work though. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

hahah me to /images/graemlins/grin.gif
guys calls me with 22 /images/graemlins/mad.gif

imported_The Vibesman
08-23-2005, 11:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Free showdown unimproved. It's unlikely I'll win if he calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, and he'll probably call with any pair there.

NH.

deception5
08-23-2005, 11:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, and he'll probably call with any pair there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup if he called the turn raise with a made hand he's not folding the river for one more bet.

Fryguy
08-23-2005, 01:00 PM
I would fold preflop. A9o isn't good enough from mp for me.

And I agree with this turn raise. I think there's 2 good reasons why raising is correct here.

1. Your redraw is to the nut flush
If he is playing a flush strangely, you have a chance to make a ton from him if you get your redraw.

2. You have 2 overcards
This provides an additional 5 outs (any of the 3 aces, plus the 2 non-diamond 9s, the diamond 9 is already counted). The 9ths are probably dirty though.

If the turn came 10d instead of 4, I think it would have to be a call, not a raise; you only have 1 overcard, and there's a 3straight on the board

bozlax
08-23-2005, 01:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would fold preflop. A9o isn't good enough from mp for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a 5-handed 6max table. A9o gets a raise, here.

bottomset
08-23-2005, 01:33 PM
I don't think this works often enough

Fryguy
08-23-2005, 01:46 PM
Whoops, completely missed it being 6-max, my apologies.

aces_dad
08-23-2005, 01:58 PM
Not commenting on the turn semi-bluff, but on this point:

1. Your redraw is to the nut flush
If he is playing a flush strangely, you have a chance to make a ton from him if you get your redraw.

Assumming villian just calls the turn raise and doesn't three bet, if the river brings a 4th diamond it is unlikely villian will be willing to put in more than 2bets max. Most likely he'll c/c so I don't think you're implied odds are that good here.

krimson
08-23-2005, 02:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Whoops, completely missed it being 6-max, my apologies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if this was full, if it is folded to me in the hijack I would open-raise A9o almost all the time.

deception5
08-23-2005, 02:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think this works often enough

[/ QUOTE ]

Only needs to work 1 time in 6. I think the opponent folds a pair of 2's nearly every time, pocket pairs 33-66 sometimes, a pair of 7's sometimes, and a pair of 8's occasionally. I think it would be closer if my hole cards were both diamonds but with 3 diamonds on the board I think my folding equity goes up. In fact against many opponents I would estimate it to be as high as 50%. Granted it depends on the skill of the opponent and some better opponents would 3-bet.

aces_dad
08-23-2005, 02:30 PM
The opponents ability to 3bet here is a big consideration. If he can't do it with what he would consider marginally better hands, this play is much more effective.

Also I do think you have a good amount of fold equity to anyone not having at least a single high diamond if not a made flush.

It most likely will also allow you the free showdown in many situations unless against a very good made flush.

Shillx
08-23-2005, 03:38 PM
And I agree with this turn raise.

To start off this post, I'll just say that I think raising the turn here sucks. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

If the guy has a flush, he isn't going to go nuts with it on the river unless he has something like K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif (and this is iffy as well). He isn't going to hand over the cash with a low flush when the 4th /images/graemlins/diamond.gif comes. You can probably expect one bet of implied odds here.

You have 2 overcards

Always a good thing.

If the turn came 10d instead of 4, I think it would have to be a call, not a raise; you only have 1 overcard, and there's a 3straight on the board

You aren't really thinking about this in the right way. The T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif isn't a very scary card for the hero. It is a lot more scary to the villian if he just has a pair of 8's for example. The T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif also gives the hero an OESD so that is a bonus as well. If the villian just has a small pair, he is more likely to fold when the T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif hits (as compared to the 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif). The reason why we are raising is to get him to fold. We want to raise the scary cards and just call the blanks.

You also have to consider the size of the pot when you make these moves. The pot is so small here that we are potentially risking 3BB to win 6BB. Make these plays when the pot is big so it doesn't have to work as often. You have to be very successful with this semibluff to show a profit.

Brad

08-23-2005, 03:41 PM
I am definately folding preflop.