PDA

View Full Version : Effective M

08-23-2005, 10:12 AM
I finished the sections on inflection points in HOH2 last night and then played a few $5s to test it out. I didn't even finish ITM out of 3 games (which surprised me a bit).

Usually when I have a M of around 10, I still play a bit tight and do quite well. But HOH2 said to divide #of players left by 10 and multiply by my M to give effective M. When I did this, my effective M was small and so I widened my range of starting cards, which ended up in me losing.

Do you guys find effective M to be a good concept?

tigerite
08-23-2005, 10:43 AM
Personally, I think Q is far more relevant than M. Without Q 007 wouldn't get very far.

yid3655
08-23-2005, 10:49 AM
/images/graemlins/cool.gif

brimstone1
08-23-2005, 11:36 AM
In response to your post, as a poster on this forum I would like to advise you of the following:

[ ] Read the FAQ
[ ] Use the Search Function
[ ] It's Just Variance
[x] Your Sample Size is Too Small
[ ] This is a Bad Beat Post!
[x] You Might Suck
[ ] Party is Rigged
[ ] Pwn3d!
[ ] Push
[ ] Fold Preflop
[ ] It's Not Close

Note:

08-23-2005, 01:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In response to your post, as a poster on this forum I would like to advise you of the following:

[ ] Read the FAQ
[ ] It's Just Variance
[x] You Might Suck
[ ] Party is Rigged
[ ] Pwn3d!
[ ] Push
[ ] Fold Preflop
[ ] It's Not Close

Note:

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you very much for your amazing post. You know there's nothing I like more than playing a style recommended by a book over a 10k sample size just to find out it is wrong and that I have lost X amount of dollars to learn so when in fact I can just ask on a forum to see if someone has already tested out the theory.

Heck I should just try every concept in every NL Tourney book over a 10k sample size before ever posting. Yeah I might be down $500k after 10 years of trying every theory out there but hey at least I didn't have to burden you with devoting 10 seconds of your important life to reading my post.

Myst
08-23-2005, 01:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ ] Read the FAQ
[ ] It's Just Variance
[x] You Might Suck
[ ] Party is Rigged
[ ] Pwn3d!
[ ] Push
[ ] Fold Preflop
[ ] It's Not Close

Note:

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you very much for your amazing post. You know there's nothing I like more than playing a style recommended by a book over a 10k sample size just to find out it is wrong and that I have lost X amount of dollars to learn so when in fact I can just ask on a forum to see if someone has already tested out the theory.

Heck I should just try every concept in every NL Tourney book over a 10k sample size before ever posting. Yeah I might be down $500k after 10 years of trying every theory out there but hey at least I didn't have to burden you with devoting 10 seconds of your important life to reading my post.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait. Was HOH about Multi Table tournaments or STT's where the blinds go up every 10 hands?

morgan180
08-23-2005, 01:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ ] Read the FAQ
[ ] It's Just Variance
[x] You Might Suck
[ ] Party is Rigged
[ ] Pwn3d!
[ ] Push
[ ] Fold Preflop
[ ] It's Not Close

Note:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

thank you very much for not reading the 1000 posts on why M and Q don't work well for short stack sit n go tournaments and should be reserved for MTTs.

08-23-2005, 01:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ ] Read the FAQ
[ ] It's Just Variance
[x] You Might Suck
[ ] Party is Rigged
[ ] Pwn3d!
[ ] Push
[ ] Fold Preflop
[ ] It's Not Close

Note:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

thank you very much for not reading the 1000 posts on why M and Q don't work well for short stack sit n go tournaments and should be reserved for MTTs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you very much for assuming I didn't do a search of inflection points and came up with 5,000 threads on Gigabet's Q3 play.

morgan180
08-23-2005, 01:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ ] Read the FAQ
[ ] It's Just Variance
[x] You Might Suck
[ ] Party is Rigged
[ ] Pwn3d!
[ ] Push
[ ] Fold Preflop
[ ] It's Not Close

Note:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait. Was HOH about Multi Table tournaments or STT's where the blinds go up every 10 hands?

[/ QUOTE ]

nh

pooh74
08-23-2005, 01:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ ] Read the FAQ
[ ] It's Just Variance
[x] You Might Suck
[ ] Party is Rigged
[ ] Pwn3d!
[ ] Push
[ ] Fold Preflop
[ ] It's Not Close

Note:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sammy,

That stock form reply is getting played out around here (I suspect people troll around looking for opportunites to use it...dont get offended, its internet forum sociology at its best). There is rarely going to be a post anymore that hasnt been approached before. Some of the frequent topics (ROI, moving up etc...) can get old, but just dont read them is my motto. People get bored with their lives, read these threads and then, post in a snide manner anyway.

HOH does apply to STTs as well as MTTs. As as far as inflection point play goes, he is basically saying for STTs what we have talked about here for awhile. Dont worry about your effective M too much for a PP or PS stt. if its 4 handed but the blinds are still 25/50 and your stack is 1500, you still have time and dont need to be desperate even though your effective M is low (less than 10 right).

Opening up your range is, of course, mandatory shorthanded to a point. You should post what exactly you changed and maybe you misunderstood something that caused you to overadjust to this principle.

And lastly...your sample is small. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

08-23-2005, 01:46 PM
Thanks. I'll post a few hands.

Matt R.
08-23-2005, 01:53 PM
It's okay. There are a lot of assholes on here that assume new posters should take the time to read every post from the last 12 months. Despite what everyone thinks, the FAQ doesn't answer EVERY question, and the search function kind of sucks. Maybe one day they'll learn to not read/respond to a thread if they're not interested, instead of taking shots at the original poster. Good luck in the future, I'm sure you'll find helpful posters eventually.

Oh, and I haven't read HOH2, but I don't think M works very well in most STT situations because (edit: all/nearly all players are) typically "shortstacked" at some point. This generally doesn't occur in a big MTT where blinds increase more slowly. This is an assumption though based on posts I've read about HOH2, and I'm definitely not sure so don't take my word for it.

08-23-2005, 02:03 PM
I went through my hands and think I see the problem. I wasn't rasing all-in from first position ("first vigorish" or whatever). I was instead raising a limper preflop and then going all-in on the turn.

08-23-2005, 02:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's okay. There are a lot of assholes on here that assume new posters should take the time to read every post from the last 12 months. Despite what everyone thinks, the FAQ doesn't answer EVERY question, and the search function kind of sucks. Maybe one day they'll learn to not read/respond to a thread if they're not interested, instead of taking shots at the original poster. Good luck in the future, I'm sure you'll find helpful posters eventually.

Oh, and I haven't read HOH2, but I don't think M works very well in most STT situations because (edit: all/nearly all players are) typically "shortstacked" at some point. This generally doesn't occur in a big MTT where blinds increase more slowly. This is an assumption though based on posts I've read about HOH2, and I'm definitely not sure so don't take my word for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Makes sense. Thanks. Other than the M section, HOH1/2 are very good books for SNGs (so far in my limited sample).

pooh74
08-23-2005, 02:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I went through my hands and think I see the problem. I wasn't rasing all-in from first position ("first vigorish" or whatever). I was instead raising a limper preflop and then going all-in on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

you really need more details...copy and paste the hand (convert them actually...see stickY).

Sounds like terrible moves, but need more info.

Wes ManTooth
08-23-2005, 02:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There are a lot of assholes on here that assume new posters should take the time to read every post from the last 12 months.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude lighten up, I am sure Brimestone1 and tigerite were just clownin. Its just jokes, this doesn't make them a$$holes.

xJMPx
08-23-2005, 02:24 PM
Sammy, I think you and I are in a similar situation so my thoughts may be of some help as I was were you were a couple months ago.

After reading HOH2 and using M to guide my late stages play my results improved at first, but then started to drop. I found that I was being too aggressive and pushing too many hands with too many players left to act, simply because my M (I do not really use effective M) was getting low.

However, it was a starting point. Then, I started to follow this forum a lot more and it has helped enormously. There are many discussions on the forum about when to push and when not to, on the bubble play etc, that have really helped my game in a couple short weeks.

Goodluck, and just keep visit 2+2 and you'll see results.

morgan180
08-23-2005, 02:26 PM
OK let me try not to be an [censored] here.

1. 3 SNGs doesn't mean anything. People go 30 SNGs without being in the money so 3 isn't something you can judge your play on. Don't worry if for three games you didn't cash, it happens.

2. HOH2 is a great book, inflection points are important as is the IDEA of M and short-handed play. Understanding those concepts are vital to tournament poker, including, to some extent, SNGs.

3. General statements like playing a bit tight with an M of 10 doesn't help anyone address problems that you may be encountering - specific hand examples work best. Use the hand converter in the FAQ and post some hands and what you were thinking.

4. SNGs vary greatly from MTTs for obvious reasons but some things to think about are:

- If you are playing at party poker or any skin where you start with 800 chips you already are very short stacked, and so is everyone else. What this means is that FOR THE BEGINNER ideally you are trying to play the premium hands and conserve your chips for later blind levels so that you have folding equity to pick up blinds and increase your stack as you approach and are in the money. There is obviously a lot more to this than that - but try some searches for Folding Equity, ICM, etc. for more.

4. To answer your question - effective M is an important concept to understand in managing short tables, putting short stacks on a range of hands when they push, etc. However, since you will spend most of your time short stacked yourself, you should apply this concept more as a guide to when to start open-pushing as opposed to standard raising, etc. Most people here just recognize a blind level as the appropriate spot (and this is up for debate here frequently.)

5. Everyone gets a good lashing first time in - consider it initiation. now just work on trying to post hands and what you were thinking, and do a lot of reading on this board. You don't have to go back twelve months, you can go back a few pages - this stuff is debated everyday.

hope this helps and good luck.

08-23-2005, 02:35 PM
Thanks for the tips. You're right about PP giving us only 800 to begin with, so I should have caught on that earlier. Anyways here's one of the final hands of a SNG I played. My effective M was about 3.5.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG (t2380)
MP (t1900)
Hero (t715)
SB (t1260)
BB (t1745)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls t100, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t715 (All-In)</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP calls t615.

Flop: (t1580) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Turn: (t1580) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: (t1580) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t1580

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
MP has Ad 8d (three of a kind, aces).
Hero has Kc 7c (two pair, aces and sevens).
Outcome: MP wins t1580. </font>

lorinda
08-23-2005, 02:39 PM
None of you will ever have any idea how much fun this thread is if you don't know what "effective M" means.

I have no intention of finding out, I just thought I'd point out the comedy that you are all missing.

Lori

tigerite
08-23-2005, 02:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the tips. You're right about PP giving us only 800 to begin with, so I should have caught on that earlier. Anyways here's one of the final hands of a SNG I played. My effective M was about 3.5.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG (t2380)
MP (t1900)
Hero (t715)
SB (t1260)
BB (t1745)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls t100, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t715 (All-In)</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP calls t615.

Flop: (t1580) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Turn: (t1580) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: (t1580) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry but effective M or not, this move is horrible. Also, like lorinda, I have no idea what it is anyway.

gumpzilla
08-23-2005, 02:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Dude lighten up, I am sure Brimestone1 and tigerite were just clownin. Its just jokes, this doesn't make them a$$holes.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but the jokes themselves are usually unhelpful, don't improve signal-to-noise, are assholish, and rarely funny. Hate the sin, not the sinner.

pooh74
08-23-2005, 02:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
None of you will ever have any idea how much fun this thread is if you don't know what "effective M" means.

I have no intention of finding out, I just thought I'd point out the comedy that you are all missing.

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

No no...i get it. I was just pretending to know what it means. Trust me, its actually much more fun:

1. not knowing what it means and,

2. Pretending like you do

#1 alone is for amateurs. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

08-23-2005, 02:51 PM
Well an M of 3.5 is basically in the Red Zone according to HOH2. Harrington is going all in with 10,6 and other such hands. But the difference, is that he does it when he is the first to act preflop.

Anyways, if effective M is not useful for SNGs, so be it.

pooh74
08-23-2005, 02:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

UTG (t2380)
MP (t1900)
Hero (t715)
SB (t1260)
BB (t1745)

[/ QUOTE ]

This is how I think of your above situation. Unless MP (limper) is a complete idiot, I ask myself why he limped in. Basically, he doesnt want to go head to head with a menacing stack in the blinds, has a decent hand but not worth tangling with SB or BB over w/o a flop (or is slowplaying a monster). He may fold this hand to Sb or BB's all-in, but not yours. If folds to you...easy push, but the limper will call here a great majority of the time. K7 needs Fold Equity. you have too little.

tigerite
08-23-2005, 02:52 PM
Here's how I think of it. You have 7bb. The guy who has limped has 19bb and calling you ain't gonna hurt him. He's probably a loosey goosey as well, and he's calling you with most Ax crap hands, and any pair he might have limped, too. Still think it's a good move..?

08-23-2005, 02:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Here's how I think of it. You have 7bb. The guy who has limped has 19bb and calling you ain't gonna hurt him. He's probably a loosey goosey as well, and he's calling you with most Ax crap hands, and any pair he might have limped, too. Still think it's a good move..?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. And I remember HOH2 saying to attack medium stacks - not the big or small ones. So, in retrospect, I see the error in my push.

morgan180
08-23-2005, 03:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well an M of 3.5 is basically in the Red Zone according to HOH2. Harrington is going all in with 10,6 and other such hands. But the difference, is that he does it when he is the first to act preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

what you're missing here is AT LEAST three key things:

1. you have an early position limper, so they have to have something.

2. when you push something like this you want to be in late position, and first in the pot. in EP with a limper this is terrible - sorry, it is.

3. you are not taking in to account that at your level of play the 5 dollar tables (and much higher, btw) you will be called with a lot of weak aces that you will be an underdog to.

morgan180
08-23-2005, 03:19 PM
you have your own name for it don't you lori? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

bluefeet
08-23-2005, 03:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well an M of 3.5 is basically in the Red Zone..

[/ QUOTE ]

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty certain there is no loading or unloading in the Red Zone /images/graemlins/wink.gif

(I REALLY have to finish reading HOH2)

08-23-2005, 03:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what you're missing here is AT LEAST three key things:

1. you have an early position limper, so they have to have something.

2. when you push something like this you want to be in late position, and first in the pot. in EP with a limper this is terrible - sorry, it is.

3. you are not taking in to account that at your level of play the 5 dollar tables (and much higher, btw) you will be called with a lot of weak aces that you will be an underdog to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally agree.

Oluwafemi
08-23-2005, 03:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ ] Read the FAQ
[ ] It's Just Variance
[x] You Might Suck
[ ] Party is Rigged
[ ] Pwn3d!
[ ] Push
[ ] Fold Preflop
[ ] It's Not Close

Note:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is to be expected on this forum.

burningyen
08-23-2005, 03:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]
Unless you're making a joke about protein stability, I have no idea what you're saying.

Jbrochu
08-23-2005, 03:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The entire point of M and "effective M" is just to give you a measuring device or guideline of how aggressive you should be at any given time when considering stack size vs. blinds vs. number of players left, etc.

M and effective M can both be useful in Party SNG's, they just need to be calibrated properly to the game.

Personally, I find it easier to compare my stack size to the big blind, and adjust my play accordingly. (This is the same concept with a slightly different measuring device.)

Wes ManTooth
08-23-2005, 04:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...jokes themselves are usually unhelpful

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this

ilya
08-23-2005, 06:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ ] Read the FAQ
[ ] It's Just Variance
[x] You Might Suck
[ ] Party is Rigged
[ ] Pwn3d!
[ ] Push
[ ] Fold Preflop
[ ] It's Not Close

Note:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For the last effin' time, it was about both. You should pay attention to the words when you read books.

Myst
08-23-2005, 06:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ ] Read the FAQ
[ ] It's Just Variance
[x] You Might Suck
[ ] Party is Rigged
[ ] Pwn3d!
[ ] Push
[ ] Fold Preflop
[ ] It's Not Close

Note:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For the last effin' time, it was about both. You should pay attention to the words when you read books.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, Im glad Harrington provides examples where the blinds are at 250/500, and your opposition all have stacks of 2000.

Oh wait, the book I read coppped out and had Harrington provide UNREALISTIC examples that rarely happen for the good STT player.