PDA

View Full Version : another common stud/8 situation

Nick_Foxx
08-23-2005, 10:11 AM
let's say you start with a premium holding such as (24)5

a deuce or trey bring it in, you call, a paint card behind you raises, the bring in calls and so do you

now the bring in catches a 7 or 8 to give him a rough low draw... you catch an offsuit jack and the paint catches one of the remaining deuces... the high card leads with his (XX)K2, the (XX)27 calls, and action is to you...

do you take a card off in this situation?
if no, what about if your holding contained an ace such as (a2)5?
what if you had an additional opponent who appeared to be going high?

mike

djr
08-23-2005, 01:34 PM
a three low on 4th has about 30% to make a low by the river. Now consider in your example that the bring in has a 76 low draw. You basically lose eights as outs for your low dropping you to a 20% chance of making a usable low. Honestly there are only 3 ranks you want to hit, threes (preferred) aces and sixes. Sevens are lukewarm at this point and eights are nearly worthless. Lets say you have 15 cards you'd like to see, thats roughly 2:1 against getting a card that gives you a draw on 5th. The pot odds are is 2.5:1.

With only two opponents, weak high potential and likely behind for the low you must fold on 4th. Even with an additional opponent going high I would fold with these odds. In order to stick around you need something else, ie 3 flush (which is live) 3 to a straight (I don't mean a gut draw), even a strong likelihood that the BI would call a raise with other than a 3-low on 3rd would make calling a little better. Realize, to make your low you have to call at least 4th and 5th. The pot is not that big, fold.

Now my question for you...what would you do if the K hadn't raised 3rd?

Andy B
08-23-2005, 09:02 PM
I don't know if 245 is a premium hand, but I usually take my chances with it.

You have a fold here. Your hand stinks and the pot is tiny. I don't think that having an Ace or the presence of another player swings this to a call, either.

Time to re-read Zee, I think.

Bogglor
08-24-2005, 10:15 AM
Aye.

Always, always, always be thinking: how can I scoop this pot? Every street. That should be the first question in your mind. With 245J in a multiway pot, you have almost zero hope. Even if you have a live ace and you catch a big fat brick on 4th, you still have to fold. These common situations reinforce an old adage but one that bears repeating nonetheless: If you're going low, and someone else catches a low card and you catch a brick, that low card either helped his low draw or it paired him. You now have the worst high hand and the worst low hand.

Worst in both directions = fold. Such a simple concept.

Nick_Foxx
08-24-2005, 11:10 AM
i have a bad tendency to go to fifth with any live 3 wheel card holding as long as someone doesn't catch something scary like a suited ace or straight flush card... just another leak i have to plug

mike