PDA

View Full Version : Question for some people:

KaneKungFu123
08-23-2005, 03:47 AM
If you have the choice of purchasing one of two shirts, both of which are exactly the same, yet one has Nike written on it, and costs three times at much, why do you choose the Nike t-shirt?

Has your choice to purchase the Nike t-shirt brought you more happiness in your life?

Do you plan to continue buying the Nike t-shirt in the future?

Macdaddy Warsaw
08-23-2005, 03:50 AM
Because they're not exactly the same?

I'm not defending Nike or anything, but I own a lot of T-shirts and most with designs on them... On avg. I've probably paid $20 for each one. This doesn't seem ludicrously expensive to me.

chuddo
08-23-2005, 03:52 AM
i would buy the nike for three reasons:

1) girls will know i am SERIOUS when it comes to sports and training. and thus want me more.

2) guys will be intimidated by my nike swoosh. and that mental edge will allow me to dominate them at any sport.

3) the worker that stitches nike on the shirt earns 2 cents more per day than the worker than made the plain shirt. i help the economy.

touchfaith
08-23-2005, 03:54 AM
I admire Nike for their efforts to employee under privlidged children in third world nations.

That said...

http://img35.exs.cx/img35/4718/this_thread_sucks.gif

Sponger15SB
08-23-2005, 03:58 AM
I really hope this thread gets off the groud.

chuddo
i forgot to mention that wearing nike apparel makes me run faster, jump higher, and gives me the ability to do some sweet dunks.

that said, when clad in And-1 gear, I gain all of those wacky skills. i can dribble the ball behind my back with my toe while lifting my jerzee over my head, only to bounce the ball off my defender's face, alleyooping it to myself for a sweet 540 dunk.

and 1, bitches.

KaneKungFu123
[ QUOTE ]
I admire Nike for their efforts to employee under privlidged children in third world nations.

That said...

[/ QUOTE ]

Thin Man,

I think you are an exceptionally useless, uninteresting human being.

You are on my ignore list now.

touchfaith
08-23-2005, 04:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

That said...

[/ QUOTE ]

Thin Man,

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're against child labor?

Hater.

speirs
08-23-2005, 04:43 AM
I will certainly NOT buy the Nike shirt. Never cared about a particular brand of cloths (and paying much more for it) and probably never will. And yes, you can tell by just looking at me /images/graemlins/crazy.gif /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

thatpfunk
08-23-2005, 04:52 AM
If I buy t-shirts they are usually of the skate/surf/snowboard variety. I pay more for them because they are more comfortable, last longer, and fit better than most random shirts. I also like how they look.

I was moderately excited when I first heard of American Apparel (sweatshop free, brand free) but found out they are just as expensive as regular shirts.

Dr. StrangeloveX
08-23-2005, 05:00 AM
shirts are for suckers

chisness
08-23-2005, 05:25 AM
A better question might be something like on a Polo shirt, do you choose the one made by Polo with the horse or a plain one at Champs where they're 3 for $20?

I like to have some of both depending on the situation.

How about a Rolex vs. a Fossil?

Bob Moss
08-23-2005, 05:26 AM
Buying from Nike is an easy way to know you are getting a high quality product. When you buy a Nike product, you pay a (large) premium for knowing that what you are buying will, on average, look and feel better, and last longer than other, cheaper clothes. Nike is successful because they make better products than their competitors.

But of course you probably won't care to consider this, since your post is not meant as a starting point for a debate, but merely to antagonize people who don't support your world view.

Look at yourself and see the hate you feel, and you will know why the world is filled with hate.

"So, your consciousness, with which you have identified yourself as your ‘individual’ consciousness, is an illusion. It is the consciousness of the rest of mankind. You are the world and the world is you." Jiddu Krishnamurti

chisness
08-23-2005, 05:29 AM
This also isn't necessarily true. I have a bunch of Polo undershirts and a bunch of Hanes undershirts. I prefer the Hanes far more (the Polo ones tend to get messy in the neck area) and Polo is probably a "higher quality" brand than Nike.

Lawrence Ng
08-23-2005, 06:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you have the choice of purchasing one of two shirts, both of which are exactly the same, yet one has Nike written on it, and costs three times at much, why do you choose the Nike t-shirt?

Has your choice to purchase the Nike t-shirt brought you more happiness in your life?

[/ QUOTE ]

You sound like a buddhist now.

Lawrence

KaneKungFu123
08-23-2005, 07:00 AM
your response is just antagonistic as my initial question.

reread the example i gave. i am comparing two shirts of equal quality. please dont try and tell me that all Nike tshirts are of higher quality, this is complete bs.

you know exactly what i am getting at, yet you didnt even include it as a posibility in your analysis.

"So, your consciousness, with which you have identified yourself as your ‘individual’ consciousness, is an illusion. It is the consciousness of the rest of mankind. You are the world and the world is you."

Explain line for line what he is saying please.

codewarrior
08-23-2005, 09:16 AM
My body is no man's billboard. A logo must be very small and unobtrusive, or better yet, removable.

jakethebake
08-23-2005, 09:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My body is no man's billboard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine might be if they were paying me instead of vice versa.

Matty
08-23-2005, 09:24 AM
http://www.rage.net/~greg/files/che-nike.jpg

RunDownHouse
08-23-2005, 09:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Thin Man,

[/ QUOTE ]
Welcome to the club! You're going to be very happy with your decision, the rest of us sure are.

I know you said that the shirts were equal in quality, but that's not a very realistic premise. To some degree, branding is a proxy for quality. I don't want to waste a month seeing if my Walmart brand is going to fall apart. I'll just spend $5 more on something I know won't.

If they're really exactly the same, except one has a swoosh and the other doesn't, then you know exactly why someone would wear a Nike shirt, and I can guess what you think about it. No need to beat around the bush.

pudley4
08-23-2005, 09:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because I'm no James Dean, and plain white t-shirts look dumb on me.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, because Adidas >>> Nike

Los Feliz Slim
08-23-2005, 09:58 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar på:</font><hr />
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar på:</font><hr />
Thin Man,

[/ QUOTE ]
Welcome to the club! You're going to be very happy with your decision, the rest of us sure are.

[/ QUOTE ]

sfer
08-23-2005, 10:30 AM
KKF, your first question is poorly structured. I've taken the liberty to correct it:

[ QUOTE ]
If you have the choice of purchasing one of two shirts, both of which are exactly the same, yet one does not have Nike written on it and costs three times at much, why do you choose the Nike t-shirt?

[/ QUOTE ]

swede123
08-23-2005, 10:37 AM
Does anyone actually buy t-shirts? Between shirts I receive as gifts (from some vacation or whatever) and shirts I get for playing in golf tournaments, softball leagues (obviously I pay for these but in a roundabout way) and so on I have not purchased a t-shirt with a print on it in many years now.

Granted, I buy the plain white Hanes undershirts for wearing under my dress shirts, but I don't count these.

Swede

jakethebake
08-23-2005, 10:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone actually buy t-shirts?...I have not purchased a t-shirt with a print on it in many years now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here. I end up getting them from different sources, but they're always gimmes.

nolanfan34
08-23-2005, 11:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone actually buy t-shirts? Between shirts I receive as gifts (from some vacation or whatever) and shirts I get for playing in golf tournaments, softball leagues (obviously I pay for these but in a roundabout way) and so on I have not purchased a t-shirt with a print on it in many years now.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is sort of the same for me. Although I did buy a Coors Light t-shirt this summer, because I thought it was funny for some reason.

swede123
08-23-2005, 11:45 AM
Some of my recently acquired t-shirts:

White Coppercom digital switch - taken from a vendor exhibit at a trade show
Purple Kansas State football schedule - given by friend
Grey Sturgis 2005 shirt - given by parents-in-law
Black Newcastle Brown Ale shirt - given at some bar by Newcastle girls /images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Black "Cool Under Pressure" high performance radiator shirt - given out at a car show.

Since I only wear t-shirts when doing work around the house, working out or laying around doing nothing it doesn't really matter what the hell they say, as long as they are free.

Swede

SmileyEH
08-23-2005, 11:47 AM
I buy most of my clothes at the salvation army.

-SmileyEH

Dave Mac
08-23-2005, 11:50 AM
honestly nike is cheap ass [censored], you want quality go to niemans. get footlocker brand for a t-shirt it is just as good.
dave

Voltron87
08-23-2005, 11:53 AM
depends on the shirt, does it match my 180$ air jordans?

note- i dont actually own air jordans, or anything comparable.

BillNye
08-23-2005, 11:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok this is the worst post ive ever seen and i just read that which hand do you like better post, come on this sucks I can just see you smirking as you posted this thinking, "this post is gonna be sweet." YEP YOUR WRONG IT SUCKS

B Dids
08-23-2005, 12:06 PM
This question is something of a non-starter, because the shirts are not often of similar quality.

Obviously nobody on here is going to fess up to be a label whore.

The better example is the person who will pay 100 bucks for a pair of jeans when in terms of pure functionality they're not that different from a 50 buck pair of Levis.

jakethebake
08-23-2005, 12:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This question is something of a non-starter, because the shirts are not often of similar quality.

Obviously nobody on here is going to fess up to be a label whore.

The better example is the person who will pay 100 bucks for a pair of jeans when in terms of pure functionality they're not that different from a 50 buck pair of Levis.

[/ QUOTE ]

The expensive jeans have been done to death, and I'm pretty sure the expensive T-Shirt people are some of the same people.

Voltron87
08-23-2005, 12:08 PM
you can buy expensive jeans without being a label whore.

its only money people.

jakethebake
08-23-2005, 12:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you can buy expensive jeans without being a label whore. its only money people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Label whores always say this.

Voltron87
08-23-2005, 12:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you can buy expensive jeans without being a label whore. its only money people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Label whores always say this.

[/ QUOTE ]

trust me, i'm not a label whore.

and i know a whore when i see it, i know, just wanted to preempt that one /images/graemlins/grin.gif

jakethebake
08-23-2005, 12:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and i know a whore when i see it, i know, just wanted to preempt that one /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well played, sir! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

08-23-2005, 12:16 PM
Well, we're doin' mighty fine, I do suppose,
In our streak of lightnin' cars and fancy clothes,
But just so we're reminded of the ones who are held back,
Up front there ought 'a be a Man In Black

The Stranger
08-23-2005, 12:21 PM
have you ever picked cotton?

ChipWrecked
08-24-2005, 02:12 AM
I think that's the first reply the MIB has actually received. Give it up homes, the gimmick don't work.

tdarko
08-24-2005, 02:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
in the 7th inning my nike dry fit will always make me happier than any "cheaper" shirt and most others except for maybe under armour, so to answer your question yes it has brought happiness to my life.

do i buy a nike shirt to go to a movie or for fashion? no, that is ridiculous. nike was constructed for a reason and i think you might have missed that but thats not even close to your fault b/c the morons that tried to make it fashionable and not for what it was made for disguised this for you.

AngryCola
08-24-2005, 02:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]

reread the example i gave. i am comparing two shirts of equal quality. please dont try and tell me that all Nike tshirts are of higher quality, this is complete bs.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is that your example doesn't match with reality (there seems to be a pattern here).

Your example simply isn't the way things really are. Some shirts are made better than others. Some brands make higher quality stuff than others. This is a simple truth. To ignore it is "complete BS".

Basically you're asking us to ignore how contrived and unrealistic your example is for the sake of this discussion. I'll pass.

08-24-2005, 02:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In some people's minds Nike makes you a little bit better/cooler/sexier

Since these are all subjective qualities, it may indeed make you better/cooler/sexier, depending on who you are interacting with

So depending on the person and the people that person will interact with, Nike might be the correct choice to maximize happiness

Allinlife
08-24-2005, 02:59 AM
I think clothes are like..what some people perceive as their economic rank badge in the society.

that's why the gals are paying 1k$ for those AUTHENTIC prada bags over a 30$ knock-off that's essentially the same (impossible to notice the difference unless you check inside the bag and stuff).

For some reason, people hate to be seen as a cheap dresser in general... I guess you can say that the corporations dollars succeeded in making the general population insecure about their socio-economic status.

KaneKungFu123
08-24-2005, 03:10 AM
i thought i was on your ignore list?