PDA

View Full Version : Taste Of Cherry--DVD Movie Review and Censorship

Mark Heide
04-05-2003, 11:57 PM
Taste Of Cherry was written and directed by Abbas Kiarostami and won the Palme d'Or at the 1997 Cannes Film Festival. It is a film about the preciousness of life through the world we experience from our senses. The plot is about a middle-aged Iranian named Badii who cruises the city of Tehran's outskirts trying to find a stranger who will help him commit suicide. He does not want the stranger to actually be an accomplice to his death, but merely return the next day and rescue him if his attempt at suicide fails, or bury him if he succeeds. The story is told from the point of view of each stranger that Badii picks up. I highly recommend this film because it will make you think about it days after watching it. You can probably rent this film from a rental outlet with a good foreign film section or buy it.

The DVD edition from The Criterion Collection includes an interview with Kiarostami including censorship as one of the topics. Here's an excerpt from that interview:

"The problem of censorship has always existed. Especially, when I'm outside of Iran, usually the first or second question asked has to do with censorship. In the West, when I'm asked about censorship in Iran, I get offended. They think we are some Third World country with some sort of incredible censorship and we work under terrible conditions. But when I think about it, I realize that we've always had to face the problem of censorship not just as filmmakers, but even as citizens of Iran, we've always had censorship. It starts in our families when we can't speak our minds because our parents decide what's right and wrong for us."

"With respect to films or art in general, it's true that art is born of difficult or unfavorable circumstances for the artist, I say this very cautiously, especially outside of Iran, because I think that I might be justifying restrictions, or saying that censorship is not a problem. People might think that I say those things out of fear, or perhaps because of a favorable attitude towards my country or government. Also, when I leave the country I really don't want to hear negative things about it. I think even if we have censorship in Iran, we should deal with it ourselves. As my father used to say, if your head breaks, it better break in your own hat. We shouldn't talk about it anywhere else because there's no advantage in it – Nobody can untie our knots or solve our problems. For that reason, I never speak about censorship outside of Iran especially for foreign reporters. Often I ask them: Don't you have your own censorship?"

Go see the film.

Mark

Cyrus
04-06-2003, 02:55 PM
I have seen the film and enjoyed it. (Gene Hackman's character in "Night Moves" would call Kiarostami's film "Watching paint dry"! His loss.) The ambivalent final shot and the euphoric, brechtian credit sequence were sweet.

...A call to go see Kiarostami, coming from Illinois. Enough to salvage one's faith in the American spirit, whatever that is.

nicky g
04-07-2003, 06:36 AM
Wasn't Kiarostami refused entry to the US a year or so ago? I forget the details.

RiverMel
04-07-2003, 09:59 AM
Great film, definitely see it if you appreciate art and aren't just looking for a few hours of fun.

Mark Heide
04-07-2003, 06:26 PM
Cyrus,

I think this film addresses all people no matter who you are or where you are from. It basically provides a possible answer to the age old question,"What is the meaning of life?"

P.S. Where are you from Cyrus?

Mark Heide
04-07-2003, 06:29 PM
nicky g,

I have not heard this story. If you find a link to it, please post it.

Thanks.

Mark

Cyrus
04-07-2003, 06:38 PM
I think this film ... basically provides a possible answer to the age old question, "What is the meaning of life?"

I certainly hope not, Mark! I would much rather get the questions right than the answers.

(Kiarostami doesn't have any answers.)

Mark Heide
04-08-2003, 09:19 PM
Cyrus,

Kiarostami doesn't have the answer spelled out for you, but he hints at the possible answer in all the characters that took a ride with Badii, especially the Taxidermist. Who had actually thought about committing suicide and found reasons not to. I think everyone can relate to these reasons, hence the title of the movie. But, everyone has their own "Taste Of Cherry" and it's a good reason for living.

Good Luck

Mark

Cyrus
04-09-2003, 03:11 AM
Mark,

This was just my way of saying that great film directors, and great artists in general, such as Kiarostami, are after putting across the questions; they are not pedantic. The great artist engages us in a dialectic that's all our own. We are engaged in getting the questions out. (The answer can be said to be in the question.)

Hence, the catharsis we feel at the end of a film such as "Taste of Cherry", even though we are as far from a denouement as possible. It has to do with us, the audience that allows itself to be engaged in questioning, even though the screen hero has provided no clear answer.

Take care.

nicky g
04-09-2003, 05:35 AM
Here's a link that mentions it.

http://film.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/Exclusive/0,4029,802462,00.html

Kaurismaki boycotts NY festival after Kiarostami snub

Staff and agencies
Tuesday October 1, 2002

Award-winning Finnish director Aki Kaurismaki boycotted the screening of his new film at the New York film festival yesterday after a row erupted over the refusal of a visa to the Iranian film-maker Abbas Kiarostami.
Kaurismaki, who won two awards at Cannes for his dry memory loss comedy The Man Without a Past, sent a note to the festival explaining that he could not bring himself to board the plane in Helsinki after learning that Abbas Kiarostami was kept from attending the New York screening of his new film, Ten.

"Under the circumstances I, too, am forced to cancel my participation - for if the present government of the USA does not want an Iranian, they will hardly have any use for a Finn, either," Kaurismaki said, before joking: "We do not even have any oil."

Kiarostami, whose Taste of Cherry jointly won the 1997 Palme d'Or at Cannes, was unable to secure a visa from the US embassy is Paris.

The note was read out after yesterday's screening of Kaurismaki's film by frustrated festival program director Richard Pena, who said it highlighted the problems facing Iranian artists trying to visit America in the current political climate.

"Sometimes it takes six to eight weeks and sometimes it can take months for them to do background checks," he said. "But this is one of the world's best film directors and he has been to the United States seven times in the last 10 years."

Mark Heide
04-09-2003, 02:19 PM
Cyrus,

You're right. In this particular film the screen hero, Badii, does not reveal why he wants to commit suicide and the director does not let you know if he did. But, the Taxidermist gives legitimate reasons for not commiting suicide.

Mark