PDA

View Full Version : Bringing the VP$IP up. what am I missing?

Baseballer02
08-23-2005, 03:06 AM
Somehow I've managed to get stuck always being between 12-15% VP$IP, which is up from what was before 10-11% VP$IP. I'm sure this is quite a bit too tight but can't figure out what I'm missing. I've loosened up significantly preflop, trying to follow the SSHE guidelines to the T, adjusting to certain table conditions. Any idea what hands I should be playing that I'm missing here? I've been playing:

EP:AA-99, AKs-ATs, AK-AQ, KQs-KJs, KQ, QJs, JTs
MP: EP hands +, 88-77, A9s-A2s, AJ-AT, KJ, KTs-K9s, QTs-Q9s, J9s, T9s.
LP: EP and MP hands + 66-22

What hands am I missing here? While far from perfect, I'm confident in my postflop play.

Baseballer02
08-23-2005, 03:09 AM
Should also add, the only hands in my database that I've cold-called preflop with are AQ, 99, 88, and KQ. My PFR is also low at 6.8%, which suprises me because I thought I raised quite a bit more than that, especially when I have position.

thesharpie
08-23-2005, 03:14 AM
It depends on the toughness/tightness of the table and the action before it gets to you. EP is easy to set guidlines for since you're usually acting first or after 1 limper. I would add A9s, KTs, AJo, and maybe a pair or two lower than 9s unless the table is real tough.
MP depends more on the action ahead of you. I'll fold low Axs and T9s if it's folded to me in MP2, of course an easy call if a couple of limpers. Your hands are a good baseline, I could think of a few situations where I'd add more, or fold some of these like I just said.
LP and MP3 is the time to steal, I'll usually open raise any pair in LP and any Axs. Raise any ace on the button, any 2 cards 10 and higher, sometimes go lower if the blinds are tight. Also open raise stuff like A9o and QJo in MP3.

That was messy..

ebranig
08-23-2005, 03:46 AM
It would help to know what limit you play.

For instance, I don't play KJs, QJs, JTs ep.

ArturiusX
08-23-2005, 03:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]

For instance, I don't play _KJs_

[/ QUOTE ]

Too tight.

Baseballer02
08-23-2005, 04:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]

For instance, I don't play KJs, QJs, JTs ep.

[/ QUOTE ]

2/4

08-23-2005, 04:01 AM
I think its pretty dependant on game conditions, in good loose small steaks games at limits like 2/4 you can often play a lot more hands than you do. Under the right game conditions you could be limping 22 and A2s utg. That would have to be a great game I admit, but not really hard to find at low limits. Maybe your problem is more related to table selection? Just a thought.

clownshoes
08-23-2005, 04:04 AM
BLINDS

Perseus
08-23-2005, 04:19 AM
All depends on limits.

It also depends on your postflop play. Can you play a hand like KJs, flop the K, and still fold it in specific situations?

Personally I can't fathom being below a 17 in this catagory without giving away a lot of edge

JTG51
08-23-2005, 04:43 AM
If you play well post flop, you can show a profit with all kinds of slop on the button after a few limpers. Spend some time looking at the Poker Room EV stats (http://www.pokerroom.com/games/evstats/positionStats.php?players=10). I'm not saying you should play all of the hands that show a profit there, but it should give you something to think about when you see that the average player shows a profit with Q3s on the button.

Your incredibly low VP$IP most likely means you could also defend the blinds more.

08-23-2005, 05:32 AM
can someone explain what the stats at the poker room are based on?

JTG51
08-23-2005, 05:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
can someone explain what the stats at the poker room are based on?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you click the 'Expected Value Stats' link at the top of the page it says:

"Here you can study the EV (expected value) statistics for our Texas Hold'em game. They are based on all pocket cards dealt at real money tables starting with hand # 6,000,000. They serve as a total average for all players. These statistics are updated daily."

In other words, it's the actual results for real players after millions of hands.

08-23-2005, 05:36 AM
ok my bad.
thanks!

edit: whats up with 92o in 5th position?? /images/graemlins/shocked.gif