PDA

View Full Version : mini raisers--when can you break them off?

jt1
08-23-2005, 02:37 AM
I don't have the hand history, but I can sum it up pretty well. I post this, because, i suck at SNG's and I figure that the best way to separate yourself from the pack is to learn when a minimum raise is a bluff and when it's legit. Without a read, I find this very difficult. What things should you look for early in a tourney so you know if someone is capable of min raise bluffing or if their min raises are legit?

PP 30+3 7 people. Hero is SB and in 2nd place with t1600. BB is in 3'rd place with t1200. Leader has t2400 and 4th place has t800. Blinds are 50-100.

Folded to Hero in SB who has QJo. Hero raises to 300. BB raises to 500. Hero goes all-in.

I made a similar play with TJs at another tourney. UTG made a min raise and I went all-in on the button. We both had equal stacks and neither of us were desparate. Blinds were also 50-100.

Can you guess which player had AKs and which folded? And, in general, what signs are out there to locate these legit mini raisers?

Xenod
08-23-2005, 02:51 AM
Without a really strong hand you need to treat these situations as "Pot Odds" situations as opposed to "MinRaise" situations. In both examples you have weak hands that do not play well all-in.

With QJo you HAVE to call here based on pot odds. Min-raise in a situation like this REAKS of at least AK. Yes, people bluff like this, but right now you can't even really beat a bluff. See a flop before you decide if you want to go broke with QJo.

With TJs I would just dump it or see a flop, depending on stack sizes. If UTG and I both had deep stacks I'd see a flop with the intention of getting paid off with a straight, flush, or 2-pair. If the blinds are significant then you really can't afford to see a flop here. I'm not going to say that you should NEVER push here, because every now and then you need a ballsy aggro play if the cards go cold, but you should avoid pushing here without a great reason. You're far behind anything UTG could potentially hold aside from mid-low pocket pairs.

YourFoxyGrandma
08-23-2005, 03:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Folded to Hero in SB who has QJo. Hero raises to 300. BB raises to 500. Hero goes all-in.

[/ QUOTE ]

I pretty much never do this. The raise is okay, but I think I just call the reraise and proceed with caution. I think the overwhelming majority of the time you're up against a monster here looking to beef up the pot.

I'll bet out with top pair on the flop if I hit it it, but will slow down very quickly if it looks like villain is along for the ride.

jt1
08-23-2005, 08:30 AM
In hand 1, villian had AK. To me it just looked like a blind protectiom play, I mean, why would you give your opponent odds to chase? If he had AA or Kk, I'd understand. Hand 2, villian folded. He probably had AJo or KQ.

tigerite
08-23-2005, 10:33 AM
Most "blind protection plays" are going to beat Q high, don't you think?

junkmail3
08-23-2005, 10:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And you're not really trying to break of resteals. If he wanted your blinds he would have just pushed back.

Someone's getting trapped!

jt1
08-23-2005, 12:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And you're not really trying to break of resteals. If he wanted your blinds he would have just pushed back.

Someone's getting trapped!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm really pissed off that I was such a donk. I made 3 really bad moves yesterday. Before playing, calm yourself and remind yourself of your percieved leaks as well as your strengths and stick to the game plan.