PDA

View Full Version : Free card, free showdown, or stay aggressive?

Baseballer02
08-23-2005, 12:07 AM
BB is 33/0/0.44 in just over 50 hands.
No read on the flop bettor.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (6.25 BB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero????

What's my river line as well?

hemstock
08-23-2005, 12:08 AM
Bet and bet the river again.
No reason to believe he has a King.

Bradyams
08-23-2005, 12:35 AM
Bet the turn.

The river depends on what the card is, and how many players are still in the pot.

@bsolute_luck
08-23-2005, 06:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Bet and bet the river again.
No reason to believe he has a King.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmm...coulda sworn that that bet on the flop could be a King and gives us reason to wonder.

w/o read, unless your Q or jack outs fall on the river, i'm firing on the turn and taking the free showdown.

PokerSparky
08-23-2005, 06:28 AM
I think betting the turn is a must.

I check the river here most of the time and then tell myself how much I suck when I'm shown a hand like AT.

bjarne
08-23-2005, 06:59 AM
Bet the turn. There could be a K out there but it could also be a T. With that board it is likely that someone bets out a FD or SD.

With all the draws possible on that board you need to protect your hand.

If river is a blank I'd bet that one too.

PocketPaul
08-23-2005, 09:00 AM
I would certainly bet the turn, but I think the river decision is quite close.

My natural instinct is generally to take free showdowns in these situations, if I have anything less than top pair, but I suspect I may be missing out on some value bets.

Against one opponent I think a river bet is correct, but against 2 opponents the advantage of a bet are reduced because;

a) both players call one has a T the other has a K. in other words some of the gains you make when an opponent calls with a T are cancelled out by the fact that the money he loses with his call is going to your other opponent and not to you.

b) The chances of being check raised are doubled, remember a seemingly blank card on the river could have given one of your opponents 2 pairs.

Please feel free to criticise the above analysis.

08-23-2005, 09:24 AM
I know this goes against what everyone else is saying, but i would have checked on the turn.You raised pre-flop, when the flop hit, he bet into you knowing you have a strong hand.I dont think he would have bet out with less than top pair.If he did, then next time take him for a good pot.I agree with protecting your hand against draws, but by protecting you could give someone good odds to call you to see the river.

Asim
08-23-2005, 09:38 AM
I would bet the turn.. prepared to fold to a raise... if both called, I would probably check the river... since you are probably beat.

Bradyams
08-23-2005, 10:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I know this goes against what everyone else is saying, but i would have checked on the turn...I agree with protecting your hand against draws, but by protecting you could give someone good odds to call you to see the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you'd rather give the field a free card to outdraw you, than to charge them to outdraw you? That doesn't make any sense.

krimson
08-23-2005, 11:28 AM
Bet the turn, bet the river on any non A, T, or spade.

Saint_D
08-23-2005, 02:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Hero??
What's my river line as well?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was unsure enough about this one I decided to put it into poker stove.

It looks like the BB will limp just about anything and won't PFR at all. I put in the hands that I think UTG+1 will, A. Limp, B. bet on the flop. C. Not 3 bet on the flop. (this includes slow playing hands)
<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>
46,164,554 games 83.109 secs 555,469 games/sec

Board: Ts Kh 9s 5h
Dead:

equity (%) win (%) / tie (%)

Hero: 42.4442 % [ 00.42 00.01 ] { QsQh }
UTG+1: 37.8593 % [ 00.37 00.00 ] {Limping hands with K, T or 9}
BB: 19.6965 % [ 00.19 00.01 ] { 30% }
</pre><hr />

You have a big pot equity edge against the range of hands these two players hold.

Bet the turn and see what develops. You actually don't want to see the J, since it could give AQ nut strait. And you really don't want to see a /images/graemlins/spade.gif.

Even if a scare card hits the turn, bet out and call a raise if the turn went by without incident.

-D

detruncate
08-23-2005, 03:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would bet the turn.. prepared to fold to a raise...

[/ QUOTE ]

Folding our gutshot to a turn raise would be bad.

detruncate
08-23-2005, 03:56 PM
We need to bet/call this turn on such a draw heavy board. Too much chance of giving a free card that will beat us.

I'd usually want to take a free showdown if both call the turn, and I'm obviously folding the river UI if raised on the turn.

I'm less sure about calling a river bet on a blank (no turn raise). It could well be a bluff with a busted draw. I think I call if it comes from UTG+1 and fold if it comes from BB.

checkmate36
08-23-2005, 04:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bet the turn, bet the river on any non A, T, or spade

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this line as well