PDA

View Full Version : Please ease my mind

Gronk
04-05-2003, 08:08 PM
There's a question after the bit about my hand /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

I was playing in a $1 buy-in limit tournament which started out with around 800 players. 1st prize is a little over $1000. The lowest you can finish and win money is 15th place. After about 2.5 hours or so we're down to 19 players and I'm in 5th place with a stack of a little over 50k. The limit is up to 5k/10k.

I'm in the big blinds with 95o. EP calls(he has about 4k less than me) and it's checked around to me. I check.

Flop is 945 rainbow. My rags have turned into a monster. I check-raise him. Turn is an ace. I bet, he raises, I reraise(thinking maybe he has an ace king or ace queen). He's all-in now. I forget what the river is. Anyway he had pocket 4s for a flopped set and takes it down. I finish in 19th place the next hand.

My question is, in a situation like this when you're ranked in the top 5, heads up against someone with an almost equal stack and you flop a strong hand should you go to war hoping to double your stack and become the new chip-leader, or should you play it safe and just check and call to the river, maybe waiting for a stronger hand to make your move.

I'm very inexperienced in tournaments so I'm not sure what to do when near the top.

Ed Miller
04-05-2003, 11:29 PM
While you have a large stack compared to other players, it is only 5 BB. Once you flop top two against one opponent, you are committed with all your chips.

cferejohn
04-07-2003, 04:16 PM
I agree. If you watched the first WPT show, a similar situation happened to Chris Bigler (I think thats the name, the Swiss guy), when his rags flopped two-pair. You're pretty much committed to this hand.