PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good river fold?

beachbum
08-22-2005, 11:08 PM
Reading stat posts, it seems I don't show enough hands down. My WtSD is 29.72 and my W$SD is 57.65. Making uncomfortable call downs seems to be like fixing your golf swing. At first it's akward and doesn't feel right, but after a while it will be more natural and will help in the long run.

Well starting a week ago I started trying to make this adjustment. Being uncomfortable at the tables has helped me drop over 200 BB. Anyway, is this one I should've called down?

My only reads are SB is loose, button is tight

Party Poker (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, Hero raises, CO folds, button cold-calls, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls

Flop: T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font> (10 SB)
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, Hero bets, button raises, SB calls, BB folds, UTG cold-calls, Hero calls.

Turn: 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font> (9 BB)
SB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks, Button checks.

River: 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, Hero bets, button calls, SB check-raises, UTG folds, Hero folds, button calls.

Final Pot:

wackjob
08-22-2005, 11:19 PM
Call the river.

deepsquat
08-22-2005, 11:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Call the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Catt
08-22-2005, 11:38 PM
Raise pre-flop.

I am not convinced that the river fold was terribly bad -- that there's a significant chance we're behind when SB C/R's two players on the river -- I think this is rarely a bluff and almost always means he can beat top pair. I wouldn't be surprised by a flush, would be mildly surprised by a straight, and wouldn't be surprised by two pair. Still, the way you played it it is tough to lay this down on the river getting 13:1 and I would almost certainly call expecting to lose. SB's calling two cold on the flop would worry me and after the turn check through and river C/R I think his most likely hand range includes flushes made on the turn (whiffed C/R) and other drawing hands. But you should really raise this pre-flop as it changes the hand dynamic quite a bit and you've underrepresented your hand enough that folding with the odds offered on the river is not good in these circumstances.

beachbum
08-22-2005, 11:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Raise pre-flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did.

Catt
08-22-2005, 11:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Raise pre-flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoops! Must be too used to the color coding from Bison's converter. Sorry 'bout that.

Given that you raised PF, I think you should 3-bet the flop or stop 'n go the turn. Were expecting a button turn bet and were you planning on C/R the turn before you saw it? Or were you essentially calling down barring some scare card + scare action or getting aggressive with improvement? When a /images/graemlins/spade.gif fell, what was your turn plan?

It's hard to lay this down getting 13:1 on the river, partly because I think you've underrepresented your hand which makes me more inclined to call the river. But I think you're almost certainly dead when SB C/R's two players on the river.

OrianasDaad
08-23-2005, 12:26 AM
I'm having trouble making a coherent post, so I'll keep it short:

1) Bet the turn and go from there.
2) Check the river if you checked the turn, especially if you are going to fold to a raise.
3) Before deciding what to showdown, determine what your opponents are capable of showing down, and the manner that they play those hands. Determine this before you take your actions.

beachbum
08-23-2005, 12:50 AM
On the turn, I was thinking the button would bet and I would fold to a raise or call closing the action. Then, I would check-call a non /images/graemlins/spade.gif river.

In hindsight I think just betting the turn is better and folding to a check-raise, or button raise.

jba
08-23-2005, 01:59 AM
I really think betting the turn is better here.