PDA

View Full Version : I think I played this terribly - set of Jacks

08-22-2005, 10:51 PM
This hand pissed me off so bad that I had to stop playing afterwards. Don't have particular reads but it's a typical .5/1 loose PS table.

PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, Hero calls, MP calls.

Flop: (8 SB) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP calls, Button calls, SB calls.

Turn: (6 BB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

River: (12 BB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero folds, Button calls.

Final Pot: 16 BB

Is this fold correct considering the re-raise on the river? I'll post the outcome later if people want it.

benkath1
08-22-2005, 11:01 PM
That's some ugly action for a set.

Woah there hoss, I think you missed a raise preflop. JJ is worth a 3-bet from any position IMO. If you 3 bet and button decides to cap, you might push out SB who is causing all your trouble on the river.

Flop bet good, anybody check raise this with button raising preflop?

Turn....I dunno. I might 3-bet, but I'm kind of laggy.

Fryguy
08-22-2005, 11:05 PM
3-bet pf.

If you call pf, check-raise the flop.

When the 3rd heart falls, I would check/call. You can't lay down on the turn with outs to a fh. On the river though I think it's safe to lay down for 2 bets. Somebody has a set beat. I personally would tend to call at least sometimes here, but folding is probably the clearly correct play when it's 2-bets to you.

08-22-2005, 11:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
3-bet pf.

If you call pf, check-raise the flop.

When the 3rd heart falls, I would check/call. You can't lay down on the turn with outs to a fh. On the river though I think it's safe to lay down for 2 bets. Somebody has a set beat. I personally would tend to call at least sometimes here, but folding is probably the clearly correct play when it's 2-bets to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly. I don't think I fold the river.

bozlax
08-22-2005, 11:12 PM
Let's start with preflop. You should be 3-betting JJ as a matter of course from any position in a full ring game. That means it goes double for short-handed (right, Wookie? /images/graemlins/grin.gif). (Incidentally, that's a joke.)

Since you didn't 3-bet preflop, you're beautifully set up for a c/r on the flop, trapping SB. Same would be true if you'd 3-bet preflop and he'd capped.

When the button wakes up on the turn it COULD mean a flush. It COULD mean two-pair. It COULD mean an overpair. It COULD mean A9. You've got SB trapped. Pop it. The hands you're ahead of far outnumber the hands you're behind. If 3-bet, call down.

You wouldn't have been in this situation on the river if you'd played more aggressively on the previous streets, but I don't think you can fold here. SB could have two-pair, or even a weirdly played AQ.

And, yeah, I'm curious for the results. I think Button has J9s, and I think that SB has 54s, and HHIG.

08-22-2005, 11:17 PM
Thanks for the input. The problem is, and the reason I feel like I played this terribly, is because of the outcome. The winning player ended up showing a set of 9's /images/graemlins/confused.gif

I can't tell you how pissed I was I layed this down. So now I'm wondering, did I really do the right thing and will most players who check raise the river have a flush/straight? In other words, did I just run into a moron? It was a pretty big pot and it was only one more bet to me. For one bet, why not call?

But now reading you guys' posts, maybe I did play it right on the river. Obviously I need to start 3-betting PF with JJ.

I hate playing JJ.

bozlax
08-22-2005, 11:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
On the river though I think it's safe to lay down for 2 bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with you to this point. You did notice that it's short-handed, right? And you've seen the memo that short-handed is a micro-limit license to turn into an uber-LAG, right? Full ring, against known opponents, I might make this laydown, but not here. Punt the cat if you have to, but don't fold a big set against unknowns short-handed.

Kumubou
08-22-2005, 11:27 PM
I do not like this river fold at all, and here is why -- there is no way in hell that river card helped SB beat you (the only way you lose to him is if he wsa getting cute slowplaying a turned flush). So either he improved to a second-best hand or he is full of [censored].

The lesson here is to just three-bet the goddamn turn -- he could have a flush, but he could have a lower set, two pair, complete air, who knows.

-K

08-22-2005, 11:34 PM
Yea, in this hand there is no way im folding the river.

hemstock
08-22-2005, 11:44 PM
There are propably 2 ways I'm folding a set on the river.
1. The river puts 4 to the flush and it's 2 or more back to me
2. Four to the straight and I am 100% convinced I'm beat.