PDA

View Full Version : What do you do when you know a short stack is trying to steal...

08-22-2005, 10:06 PM
...and you have a weak hand. Call him, where he'll most likely go all-in on the flop regardless of what falls? Or just fold and let him get away with it until you get a real hand?

08-22-2005, 11:38 PM
Why call him with garbage if you're probably just going to have to fold it anyway? Why give him a chance to build his stack/double up?

Generally I wait until I think I have an edge. Then maybe I'd call and let him go all in on the flop. But usually if I have a hand, I reraise. Or if he might fold and I have enough chips, reraise him with some weaker hands. I think calling is usually the worst option.

But of course it would depend on the specific situation.

08-22-2005, 11:42 PM
If you know hes stealing, but your holding 23 or some crap like that, theres not a thing you can do. Obviously you can call if ur getting 2-1 (which i dont see alot of people do). I woudl just wait till you have a decent hand and hope you win a 60/40.

Dylan Wade
08-23-2005, 12:04 AM
the best way to answer generic questions like this: it depends..

it depends on a lot of things.. are you on the blind? if not how much is the raise and whats the stack of the bind. how far in the tourney you are, blinds, your stack, other callers, your hand, the type of hand you have.. the range of hand you put your opponent on , his tightness through the game, blinds approaching him.. possible tilt..

generally when you call you want to have a better hand, but sometimes if youre a big stack its OK to take a -chipEV situation if it has a good chance of improving your placement in the tourney (however as a big stack youre probably better off with a small stack) .. mainly when talking about comparing trash hands to each other, look at the lead card.. I didn't run it in pokerstove, but I'm pretty sure K8 is a big fav over QT HU. the second card is either [censored] or relevant. K2 isnt great HU because youre only playing 1 card really.. suited means jack sqaut. Anyway yea.. if you have 2 big cards and chips to spare, in a spot where a small stack is pushing on a large range of hands.. call most of the time if youre closing action.