PDA

View Full Version : Two hands PF, what would you do

nichtgut
04-05-2003, 02:33 PM
Hi
I will post 2 pre-flop scenarios both on the small stakes and the high stakes board. It will be interesting to see if there is any difference between the answers.

Game is pretty tight, we will assume that the opponents are 2/6 on the tightness aggression scale (where 1/9 is super-tight super-aggressive). Let's also assume that the opponents are not overly tricky, but average players post-flop.

SCENARIO 1.
You are being dealt QQ in the SB. UTG limps and UTG+1 raiser. Everyone else folds.
Would you call to keep the pot small and plan to check-raise the flop if it's good, or reraise pre-flop to show strength?

SCENARIO 2.
You get dealt AKo in late middle position. EP limps, you raise. SB calls, and EP reraises.
Would you cap to try to shut out the SB (or for other reasons) or call fearing AA or KK?

I am assuming you wouldn't fold in these scenarios...
Also, please don't just answer "I would cap" or "I would call" but explain your thoughts.

Thanks!

Nicht Gut

Bob T.
04-05-2003, 05:53 PM
Scenario 1, I think that this is an easy reraise. I would like to eliminate both the BB, and the UTG limper. If I am ahead right now, I would rather play this for 3 bets in an 8 sb pot headsup, than for two small bets in a 8 sb pot 4 ways. If all three players call my raise, I think that I am in a very good situation, because they probably duplicate each others cards, and overcards to my Queen are much less likely to appear.

Scenario 2 is tougher. From an unknown opponent, AA is likely here, but it is possible that EP, has AK, or AQ suited, or some goofy hand, and I think I am going to try and punish the SB for coldcalling, and cap it. If my opponent does have AK. I think that I have set myself up to win the pot if we both miss.

DiamondDave
04-05-2003, 09:17 PM
BTW, the /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif welcomes criticism.

Scenario 1:

You have a couple of good plays available to you.

UTG+1 thinks that he's beating an EP limper heads-up, but he knows that UTG will probably go ahead and see the flop. He's betting for value vs. UTG, but hopes to make the rest of you fold.

You think about the hands that people would limp with in EP, and then you think about what hands are beating most of those hands heads-up. My best guess is a big pair (99 or higher, some people would wait for JJ) or a flush draw that plays well heads-up (AJs, at least). You're beating quite a few of these hands, so you should raise for value often in this spot, IMO.

Something else that should be in your arsenal: just call, check-call on the flop, and check-raise on the turn. If UTG (or UTG+1, for that matter) likes the flop, you won't be able to prevent him from seeing the turn card. But if he doesn't have his hand on the turn and it's two bets to him, he'll probably fold anything less than top-pair-top-kicker or a four-straight with no gaps. (If he doesn't fold, it's OK. Those cookies are likely to be yours if he doesn't improve.)

Scenario #2:

This is more interesting. EP is representing a Dangerous Hand. If you think the probability that he holds AA or KK is higher than the probability that he holds any of the other hands he'd do this with, fold and DO NOT show anyone your cards! On the other hand, making this play with AKs, QQ, JJ, or even TT seems pretty reasonable to me. If you think he'd make this play with these hands (or even less), just call. Raising is not that good - you're a small underdog against any pair, if you hit your hand you're the favorite even if SB is still in, and if you don't flop an A or a K you can fold, watch the showdown, and get a better read on your opponents.

Anyone think The /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif is a wimp for considering a fold?

BTW, I put SB on a nice drawing hand: one that you shouldn't be playing if you expect the preflop betting to be capped with only two or three people in, but one that's hard to let go of 'cuz it's so pretty!

Tyler Durden
04-05-2003, 09:57 PM
I think in Scenario One I would smoothcall preflop and try to checkraise the flop, or bet out on the flop and hope that the PFR will be my "unwitting partner" and raise to clear out the guy in the middle. If I check it's likely that the UTG limper will check also, b/c that's what most players do (check to the PFR). Don't forget that some of the most likely hands for the PFR to have are AK, and AQ is a little less likely. I don't like 3-betting here b/c your hand is vulnerable to overcards and you're out of position the whole way, and let's not forget that position is almost everything in Texas Hold 'Em.

Scenario Two, ahh the limp reraise. I'd probably cap it. I'm assuming the BB folded? I'd like to play this hand heads-up. The limp reraise sometimes screams AA or KK, but here it's a little less likely b/c you have one of each in your hand. Cap it.