PDA

View Full Version : A lesson in misplaying aces

Solovon
08-22-2005, 09:05 PM
How badly did I misplay this? The button is extremely loose and aggressive, betting and raising with any two cards into a dangerous board. I almost fell over when I saw his hand, and I knew I was probably beat but I couldn't lay it down. Especially after seeing him raising and reraising me with a low suited ace when the board was filled with face cards in other hands.

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, Button calls.

Flop: (9.40 SB) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.70 BB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (11.70 BB) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 13.70 BB

mxer7734
08-22-2005, 09:13 PM
I would come right out betting the flop and 3-bet if he raises. If he has shown down many different hands and has been aggressive with them he could have missed this flop completely and be giving chips to you. On the other hand, once the board paired again on the turn its best to just check/call down. Against any passive player I might fold the turn to a raise. But here as you said, villian is an aggressive maniac and could have a wide range of hands so at the least call down. But be more aggressive on that flop!

fluxrad
08-22-2005, 09:19 PM
Grunching:

Bet the flop for value. If it's raised back to you, 3-bet. If he caps then you can probably just call down knowing you're facing either pocket paint or a set.

Someone else had posted a really good WA/WB line the other day but I forgot what it was.

ArturiusX
08-22-2005, 09:37 PM
Capping then checking is very weird. I just bet the flop, maybe just calling a raise and popping the turn.