PDA

View Full Version : Inducing Bluffs on the river

mxer7734
08-22-2005, 08:15 PM
I never really put much thought into this after reading TOP but now I see how affective it is if used at the right times.

With this hand, by checking on the river I lose at most one bet if he does indeed have the flush, and gain a bet when he bets a hand he would have folded if I bet again on the end. But if I bet out 1). He has the flush and will raise me and 2). He doesnt have the flush and will fold thus me not making any bets. Is my thinking skewed or is this correct? Im trying to apply these concepts to my game and need to know if what im doing is correct.

-----Yes, I know I shouldn't be completing in the SB with junk hands but this table was very Loose and passive so I figured I could add a few more hands to call with.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (3 SB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, CO calls.

Turn: (3 BB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, CO calls.

River: (5 BB) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 7 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has 6s Td (two pair, tens and sixes).
CO has Qd Ah (high card, ace).
Outcome: Hero wins 7 BB. </font>

Now on this hand I check on the turn because 1). I picked up a gutshot draw and wanted to take the free card and 2). I have seen him call down with many hands and didn't think he would fold for one bet on the turn if he had any piece of the flop. On the river I was checking behind if I missed. And if he bets when I make my hand, I would raise, of course, and if he doesnt have anything he will see my weakness on 4th street and try bluffing me out on the river which is what he did.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is CO with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls.

Flop: (5.50 SB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 calls.

Turn: (3.75 BB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+2 checks, Hero checks.

River: (3.75 BB) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 5.75 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
UTG+2 has 6h 6s (two pair, kings and sixes).
Hero has Js Jc (two pair, kings and jacks).
Outcome: Hero wins 5.75 BB. </font>

Bradyams
08-22-2005, 08:51 PM
Hand 1 - Fold preflop. The river is an easy value bet. Don't take the check to induce a bluff concept too far, or you'll find yourself checking a lot of rivers. Most of the time it depends on your read. If villain is like a lot of bad players who will call down with any piece it's almost always correct to value bet the river here. The problem with checking here is you allow him to check through his bad hands (that he would have called a bet with), and bet his hands that you don't beat. The thing is he'll call one bet here with a lot of hands you beat, but he may check them through, so bet for value. You got kind of lucky that he took a stab at it. This usually doesn't happen, and again it depends on your read.

Hand 2 - [ QUOTE ]
I have seen him call down with many hands and didn't think he would fold for one bet on the turn if he had any piece of the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

You just answered here why you should bet the turn. If he'll call down with any piece then bet the turn for value, and the river for value. You missed one BB here by checking the turn. Odds are good if he'll call a flop bet without proper odds to chase his set he'll call turn and river bets as well. Bet, bet, bet.

benkath1
08-22-2005, 10:52 PM
1. Don't post the results!!!

2. I don't really like either of these hands. I haven't played higher than 2/4, so my experience at the micro limits is you will make more money with value bets, that trying to induce bluffs.

I can understand hand one where he might have folded on the river, but most of the players I've seen think AQ is a good showdown hand. If the moran is going to open limp with AQ then he proably will call at showdown with it.

Hand 2, I could see doing this to someone who likes to ckeck raise, but I'd just fire again. I don't give people credit for a hand until they have given me a reason to believe they have one. I think you could have made up the bet you lost on the turn by raising the river.