PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Z vs. David Sklansky

Inthacup
04-05-2003, 01:20 PM
I've read a lot of your posts, Bruce, well to be honest, I skim a lot of your posts. I mean, I took calc. II 3 years ago in college, but I can't rattle things off like you. You seem to dominate this forum when it comes to equations, complex stats and general math knowledge. My question is do you think that Sklansky surpasses your math knowledge and ability? Have you guys ever gone head to head on any issues? What about you vs. Mason? This topic has interested me for a while.

BruceZ
04-11-2003, 02:29 PM
You can assume that David and Mason understand all of the math I am likely to do on this forum, just as I understand all of the math they do here and in their books. This is just a small subset of the math we know. All of us have math degrees with strong backgrounds in probability and statistics. I understand David has worked as an actuary, and Mason as a statistician. I also have degrees in physics and engineering with an emphasis in signal processing and telecommunications.

The nice thing about mathematical arguments is that they are generally resolved rather quickly, unlike arguments about poker, politics, etc. There isn't much room for opinion, so it is easy to reach an agreement.

With a firm understanding of fundamentals, it is possible to solve many problems without advanced methods. David is especially good at presenting simple ways to solve problems, and I have picked up a couple of shortcuts from him. He presents some issues in Getting the Best of It that I had not previously seen. There are certain problems and paradoxes in probability theory which, if understood, give one a firm foundation in the underlying theory. I too have always strived to maintain a strong grip on fundamentals, and answering questions on these forums helps me to do that.

TimTimSalabim
04-11-2003, 02:35 PM
Inthacup,

I've read a lot of your posts and what I want to know is,

Who the hell *is* the dead man who threw the salt shaker? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

Inthacup
04-11-2003, 03:36 PM
Harry, from Dumb and Dumber. But fortunately, the guy who said it(Seabass) was nice enough to pick up their tab.