PDA

View Full Version : Cant connect to internet

popeye18
08-22-2005, 07:46 PM
Me and my roomate have a dsl modem and i can connect to it fine but when my roomate plugs in his computer he cant get online. When we check the status it says he is connected but he cant get on any program that uses the internet. HE said he had this problem at his last location and cant remember how he fixed it. Any help is appreciated.

Deathbear
08-22-2005, 08:07 PM
So both computers are plugging into the modem one at a time? The modem is having a hard time assigning an IP address if you just disconnected your PC and your roomate plugged it in. You might invest in getting a router which are as cheap as $30 so you can avoid this problem.

popeye18
08-22-2005, 08:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So both computers are plugging into the modem one at a time? The modem is having a hard time assigning an IP address if you just disconnected your PC and your roomate plugged it in. You might invest in getting a router which are as cheap as $30 so you can avoid this problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well i just did to see if mine would work. I actually run off of wrieless right now. He is using the ethernet connection. He lived in the dorms last year and said this happened to him there so i think its something with his computer.

jnalpak
08-23-2005, 12:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Me and my roomate have a dsl modem and i can connect to it fine but when my roomate plugs in his computer he cant get online. When we check the status it says he is connected but he cant get on any program that uses the internet. HE said he had this problem at his last location and cant remember how he fixed it. Any help is appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

This has to do with the MAC address the DSL modem assigns itself. ONLY ONE MAC PER MODEM. If you are to cheap or dont want to pick up a router for $50.00 then you need to power down the PC first, then shutdown the modem. Wait 5min and turn everything in reverse order. Make sure you wait for th modem to turn on and charge up (about 2min)

how are you using wireless?