PDA

View Full Version : What do I do in this situation?

bkm
08-22-2005, 04:01 PM
This is a situation that comes up frequently and I really don't know how to play it. I tend to play passively in this situation and simply call so I can see a cheap flop. In most cases, the flop misses me, the big stack bets and I fold. I'm pretty sure that I had the best hand preflop, so I'm thinking that calling probably isn't the best way to play.

So, how do I play it?
1)Call and see the flop cheaply.
2)Push
3)Raise, if so, how much?

$10+1 Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t300 (3 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

SB (t4330)
Hero (t2250)
Button (t1420)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t600) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t300</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t900

Should I have called the flop bet with an overcard and backdoor FD? Raise? Push? Help!!!

beetyjoose
08-22-2005, 04:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure that I had the best hand preflop,

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think you have the best hand preflop, you should raise preflop. I wouldn't call any bets on that flop. If you sense weakness, you could check raise. Calling a flop bet is probably the worst thing you could do there.

Hendricks433
08-22-2005, 04:16 PM
Check Raise? you cant, I raise alot of times here with nothing and its suprising how many times they fold. But I dont recommend it.

downtown
08-22-2005, 04:21 PM
I would probably push this hand PF if it were completed to me. (Because I think I likely have the best hand). If for some reason I didn't, I would come over the top all in here. Those chips are valuable, and I'm playing for 1st and you could still have the best hand - that t300 bet could mean anything under the sun.

AACardPlayer
08-22-2005, 04:22 PM
1. raise pre-flop or,
2. fold on the flop or,
3. raise villain's bet on the flop as resteal if you think its possible he is betting bottom/middle pair or with air, (and obviously fold to a re-raise or slow down if he calls)

Calling on the flop is out of the question, unless your setting up a steal on the turn or river. if you're doing that you need to have a good read on villain that he is able to release medium-strong hands.

nyc999
08-22-2005, 04:26 PM
Throw it away. There is no reason to lose a good portion of your stack for a couple of weak draws.

downtown
08-22-2005, 04:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

3. raise villain's bet on the flop as resteal if you think its possible he is betting bottom/middle pair or with air, (and obviously fold to a re-raise or slow down if he calls)

[/ QUOTE ]

His stack isn't big enough for this. A raise would have to be all in.

08-22-2005, 04:28 PM
If SB has been raising alot and now is only completing, then take your free flop and fold when it misses you.

If SB has been completing alot, then you can raise preflop (id push). But checking and folding here is fine. You havent vpip'ed at all in this hand.

Theres no reason to be putting your chips in with a hand that is only a slight favorite over a few hands

AACardPlayer
08-22-2005, 04:30 PM
Yeah, I didn't look close enough at the stack sizes so your right, the folding to a re-raise from villain isn't a viable option. However, raising villain's inital bet can still be a good move if villain has been playing aggresive and is capable of betting here with any two.